OT: ~The Beer, Spirits, & Nightlife Thread V6~ Let's drink!

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I wish I could find somewhere that sells fancy beers in singles. Spending $15+ on 6 or more bottles is not ideal.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Yeah, that's a good summation. One of the exceptions would be their fall seasonal Nosferatu for me. It's incredible.

I like Nosferatu as well.

I went to the Burning River Fest (Cleveland) last year with my gf, and we went to the Brewery (Great Lakes) and drank at the Elliot Ness bar (the one on the Elliot Ness label, which is the bar he supposedly ordered the post prohibition beer from). They had a lot of good beers on tap that they don't mass produce/ship. I had Edmund Fitzgerald, either nitro or cask aged, and it was fantastic. They also had one called "Rye-o-Rye can't we win? Brown and Orange" which was pretty good Brown ale, and a Belgian Quad as well. It's worth the trip.

Cleveland has a pretty good beer scene, I never would have guessed, but I would definitely go back. We also checked out Nano brewery which was very good as well.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I like Nosferatu as well.

I went to the Burning River Fest (Cleveland) last year with my gf, and we went to the Brewery (Great Lakes) and drank at the Elliot Ness bar. They had a lot of good beers on tap that they don't mass produce/ship. I had Edmund Fitzgerald, either nitro or cask aged, and it was fantastic. They also had one called "Rye-o-Rye can't we win? Brown and Orange" which was pretty good Brown ale, and a Belgian Quad as well. It's worth the trip. Cleveland has a pretty good beer scene, I never would have guessed. We also checked out Nano brewery which was very good as well.

You were in my neck of the woods. I live less than a mile from the brewery. Great Lakes, Market Garden, Nano, Hansa, and a new one yet to be opened are all within a block of each other and Platform is a 10 min walk from there.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
You were in my neck of the woods. I live less than a mile from the brewery. Great Lakes, Market Garden, Nano, Hansa, and a new one yet to be opened are all within a block of each other and Platform is a 10 min walk from there.

Nice. You quoted me before I could finish my edit ha. I liked Nano a lot. Didn't get to check out the others, but Market Garden and Platform were on our short list for places to go. I don't recall hearing about Hansa, but will definitely consider if we go back. Don't think we'll go this year as it's the day after one of Rochester's two big beer fests (Flour City Brewfest), but hopefully next year.

The whole area around Great Lakes seamed nice as well. I wish we had more time to check it out.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Nice. You quoted me before I could finish my edit ha. I liked Nano a lot. Didn't get to check out the others, but Market Garden and Platform were on our short list for places to go. I don't recall hearing about Hansa, but will definitely consider if we go back. Don't think we'll go this year as it's the day after one of Rochester's two big beer fests (Flour City Brewfest), but hopefully next year.

The whole area around Great Lakes seamed nice as well. I wish we had more time to check it out.

Yeah it's pretty cool. Hansa is fairly new but is connected to an Eastern European specialty foods shop that's been in the neighborhood for 40 years (which is a long time for that neighborhood as it was a total dump back then).

Outside of Ohio City, there area few other pockets of breweries as well worth checking out. In the east bank of the flats, Collision Bend recently opened up (former GL brewer along with a well known Cleveland chef run it) and Thirsty Dog is opening a brew pub there as well.

Butcher and the Brewer is on east 4th (it's okay), and two other new places opened up downtown in the last few months which I haven't checked out yet (Masthead and Noble Beast). I'm skipping a bunch, but you get the idea.

I'm sure Pittsburgh is similar, but I'm having trouble keeping up with all the new breweries. Pretty exciting, although probably unsustainable.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
They recently interviewed some brewers around here about the continued expansion of breweries. They all said that all the new additions haven't hurt their business, but you do have to wonder how much is too much.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I'm still salty this isn't my thread anymore. :cry: ;)

Drinking this in celebration. God it is delicious.
rum_app3.jpg

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Found Southern Tier Choklat and Choklat Oranj at a grocery store the other day. I've wanted to try both for so long and I haven't found them anywhere. Been looking for a while (not that hard...but whenever I was at a place that sells beer I'd look).

Buuuut it was $20 for a 4 pack and I just spent a decent amount of money after taking the Yuengling Brewery tour (which was really cool). So maybe I'll find it somewhere else soon.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Well you'd think it's fall if you went down the beer aisle.

Fall brews start showing up in July now. By the time Halloween rolls around, you start seeing Winter and Holiday brews. Then by new years, the aisles are filling with spring beer. Seasonal creep is silly.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Found Southern Tier Choklat and Choklat Oranj at a grocery store the other day. I've wanted to try both for so long and I haven't found them anywhere. Been looking for a while (not that hard...but whenever I was at a place that sells beer I'd look).

Buuuut it was $20 for a 4 pack and I just spent a decent amount of money after taking the Yuengling Brewery tour (which was really cool). So maybe I'll find it somewhere else soon.
I got a 4 pk of Choklat Oranj and Thick Mint in July. Enjoyed both very much. Still have a couple bottles of each left.
Not sure how much they were, somewhere in the $16-19/4pk range.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I got a 4 pk of Choklat Oranj and Thick Mint in July. Enjoyed both very much. Still have a couple bottles of each left.
Not sure how much they were, somewhere in the $16-19/4pk range.

yeah those 2 and even Thick Mint sound like they would be right up my alley. Really looking forward to trying them when I get the chance.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I was hoping to find Thick Mint in single bottles, but didn't.

I got a bottle of Heavy Seas Blackbeard's Breakfast. A bourbon barrel aged coffee porter. Should've been rum barrel aged based off the name.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I was hoping to find Thick Mint in single bottles, but didn't.

I got a bottle of Heavy Seas Blackbeard's Breakfast. A bourbon barrel aged coffee porter. Should've been rum barrel aged based off the name.

that sounds great, damn

gotta get me some of that

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Question for anyone in Pittsburgh, do you know of any beer distributors that only sell German beer? I had this beer called Astra Rotlich in Berlin and it was really good, so I wanted to get some for back home.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Fall brews start showing up in July now. By the time Halloween rolls around, you start seeing Winter and Holiday brews. Then by new years, the aisles are filling with spring beer. Seasonal creep is silly.

My life's goal is to push Christmas everything back to after Thanksgiving.

I'm much more of a dark beer guy and fall is my favorite season for beer, but I agree. Let me drink something lighter and crisper while I'm still sweating my balls off.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Question for anyone in Pittsburgh, do you know of any beer distributors that only sell German beer? I had this beer called in Berlin and it was really good, so I wanted to get some for back home.

You may want to ask a distributor if anything from the brewery is available from one of their wholesalers. I looked on the imports page for Save Mor Beer & Pop and didn't see that particular beer listed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad