Music: The Beatles, greatest "popular consensus" band of all time?

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'd give that honour to Black Sabbeth, hands down. I've never seen the logic of calling Led Zeppelin a heavy metal band in any way, shape or form.
I tend to agree, although Metal can mean so many things. Black Saabbath was all about death and witchcraft.

Zeppelin was rock and blues, not really metal, but heavy it certainly was.

Reactions: brokeu91

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
L.Z. didn't invent Heavy Metal, they perfected it.
Curious, what would be the earliest song that would qualify as heavy metal?

Cream, Hendrix, not really heavy but close. Kinks? If they had the right gear, they had the right idea.
You really got me. 1964.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Where would The Eagles and Beach Boys rank on all time band lists?
Eagles are overrated, only made it big when Joe Walsh joined. Catchy tunes and nice vocals. Beach Boys on the other hand are underrated, especially today. They just never got over Sgt.Pepper beating them out before they could release Pet Sounds.

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Eagles are overrated, only made it big when Joe Walsh joined. Catchy tunes and nice vocals. Beach Boys on the other hand are underrated, especially today. They just never got over Sgt.Pepper beating them out before they could release Pet Sounds.

If anything the Beach Boys are very overrated. Pet Sounds is a great album, but I wouldn't bother listening to much of what they made before or after that.. and when you consider Pet Sounds was just Brian Wilson and a team of studio musicians, it's hard to say much about the "band" itself.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I love The Kinks. You Really Got Me is not heavy-metal; it is not next door to heavy metal; it is not in the vicinity of heavy metal; it's not within striking distance of heavy metal; it's not a stone's throw away from heavy metal. IT AIN'T HEAVY METAL.

Reactions: The Electrician

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I love The Kinks. You Really Got Me is not heavy-metal; it is not next door to heavy metal; it is not in the vicinity of heavy metal; it's not within striking distance of heavy metal; it's not a stone's throw away from heavy metal. IT AIN'T HEAVY METAL.

Love the Kinks too, probably the group I'd put at #2 (don't really care for all the other groups mentionned here). I don't think @peate meant that it WAS heavy metal, just that they were on track to get there, I get what he meant, pretty much agree.

Reactions: peate

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Love the Kinks too, probably the group I'd put at #2 (don't really care for all the other groups mentionned here). I don't think @peate meant that it WAS heavy metal, just that they were on track to get there, I get what he meant, pretty much agree.
I thought I was clear, you got it apparently. Give the Kinks Marshall stacks and 500,000 watts and they'll metal you to death, I certain of that. Van Halen re-did that song didn't they?

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I thought I was clear, you got it apparently. Give the Kinks Marshall stacks and 500,000 watts and they'll metal you to death, I certain of that. Van Halen re-did that song didn't they?

Um, my case rests.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

Ahahahah, pretty much proves your point... Wish that guy could sing seriously.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I was never a big fan of male oriented acts when they got into the Van Halen type. I just used it to show that a song can be anything given the proper treatment. If Metallica or Iron Maiden did the song, would it be metal then? How about Slayer?

You can't label music that way, it's too subjective and prone to change. I just enjoy what I like and ignore the rest. Like here. :laugh:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I was never a big fan of male oriented acts when they got into the Van Halen type. I just used it to show that a song can be anything given the proper treatment. If Metallica or Iron Maiden did the song, would it be metal then? How about Slayer?

You can't label music that way, it's too subjective and prone to change. I just enjoy what I like and ignore the rest. Like here. :laugh:

Ahah, while I was posting it. This thread is picking my mood up. Should start a thread about fun covers.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Where would The Eagles and Beach Boys rank on all time band lists?

If anything the Beach Boys are very overrated. Pet Sounds is a great album, but I wouldn't bother listening to much of what they made before or after that.. and when you consider Pet Sounds was just Brian Wilson and a team of studio musicians, it's hard to say much about the "band" itself.
"Underrated" and "Overrated" are subjective terms. What's not subjective is that nobody else sounds like The Beach Boys. They're a stand-alone anomaly in music, partly because of Brian Wilson's unique songwriting and partly because the harmonies are too complex for most other bands. If 'unique' is a measure for greatness, I'd say the only other well-known band that reaches that level was Queen.

But okay... I'll say The Beach Boys were underrated among the general public, who don't hear much beyond the catchy tunes. On the other hand, musicians typically hold Brian Wilson up as one of music's rare genius, because we geek out over the arrangements and production.

Queen is in danger of becoming overrated because of Freddie's star power. Yeah, he's probably the best front-man of all time, but to me one guy's personality is not as important as the overall writing and performance of the group. Don't get me wrong -- by every measure Queen is great and unique, but their ranking has been propped up a little by Freddie's cult of personality.

The Eagles aren't near the top in any category, but they're consistently very, very good in all of them. Some really beautiful tunes and harmonies, and I happen to love Henley's voice. I'd say they're probably underrated, not because they deserve to be in the all-time-best list, but because they're unfairly dismissed as bland/pop/top-40. They're excellent writers and have some of the best group vocals around.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The Eagles aren't near the top in any category, but they're consistently very, very good in all of them. Some really beautiful tunes and harmonies, and I happen to love Henley's voice. I'd say they're probably underrated, not because they deserve to be in the all-time-best list, but because they're unfairly dismissed as bland/pop/top-40. They're excellent writers and have some of the best group vocals around.
Listen to real early Linda Ronstadt right after the Stone Poneys. That was the birth of the Eagles.

Bands are like hockey teams, gotta have a few stars without too big an ego, and work together as a whole.

Reactions: Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think I agree with most people on the #2 best band: Led Zeppelin. I was a kid when their stuff was new and I wasn't a fan, but they sound better and better as time goes by. Nothing gimmicky or dated about their music; their songs sound richer with age. And Robert Plant is among the top-5 all-time best front men.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad