Post-Game Talk: the beagster and his nucks vist the caps | 7PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
It was Ovie, at the end of a pretty stationary shift
I've recorded the game and will have to go back and look. I'm talking about the center ice face off right after the second goal was scored and the refs had added the extra second to make it 7 seconds remaining. Caps won the face off (might have been Backstrom) and I thought the puck went back to the right defenseman (Carlson) because the puck was played from there, the Caps blue line and went the length of the ice for an icing call with about a second or less remaining. After the Evander Kane game tying goal before the All Star break, the Caps should leave nothing to chance.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I know ppl hate stationary shifts, but if he leaves his area, then there will a hole in defense that will be exploited. There should be at least one guy waiting for the puck. If not Ovy, then it would be Oshie, but it's less effective since Oshie is better at boards battle.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I know ppl hate stationary shifts, but if he leaves his area, then there will a hole in defense that will be exploited. There should be at least one guy waiting for the puck. If not Ovy, then it would be Oshie, but it's less effective since Oshie is better at boards battle.
My issue isn’t so much him being stationary. It’s more him not having the legs to backcheck because he stayed on the ice too long when he had a clear chance to come off.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
My issue isn’t so much him being stationary. It’s more him not having the legs to backcheck because he stayed on the ice too long when he had a clear chance to come off.
Right - that's what I meant by stationary. Toward the end of that shift he was mostly glide, including when getting back up the ice and into the zone

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
It was Ovie, at the end of a pretty stationary shift
Just watched the last 7.6 seconds of the game that I was referring to when Carlson iced the puck. After Nucks scored their second goal, there was the center face off. Nucks were still going with the empty net and the Caps players on the ice was Backstrom at center taking the face off, Eller on the LW and Wilson on the RW with Carlson RD and Orpik LD. Backstrom won the face off and sent the puck to Carlson who iced the puck from his blue line. With .9 left on the clock Backstrom took the face off in the defensive end to the right of Holtby and lost the face off with the Nucks getting a shot on goal as the game ended. Ovechkin was never on the ice after the Nucks had scored their second goal.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Just watched the last 7.6 seconds of the game that I was referring to when Carlson iced the puck. After Nucks scored their second goal, there was the center face off. Nucks were still going with the empty net and the Caps players on the ice was Backstrom at center taking the face off, Eller on the LW and Wilson on the RW with Carlson RD and Orpik LD. Backstrom won the face off and sent the puck to Carlson who iced the puck from his blue line. With .9 left on the clock Backstrom took the face off in the defensive end to the right of Holtby and lost the face off with the Nucks getting a shot on goal as the game ended. Ovechkin was never on the ice after the Nucks had scored their second goal.
All season it's been apparent that they have a directive to more aggressively try and score on ENs. I suspect that's why Carlson did what he did. Too bad it didn't work out.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovi’ shift length is 1:00. 3 seconds higher than last year.

A difference like that can be just power play time. Though empty net time can create a lot of stoppages and time outs and such. IIRC you are on the ice and don't come off, even with a time out in there, its still one shift. Someone will correct me if I am wrong

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
So you are talking about an icing that resulted in a faceoff in our end with less than 1 second in the clock?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
But but....I’ve heard from a shark around here, that’s selfish!
Actually it is a bit selfish and with us being so bad on faceoffs its not such a smart play. We were lucky we were up by 2 goals because one of those icings did cost us a goal.
Would you still think it was a smart play if it cost us the game.

Reactions: Heath

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Actually it is a bit selfish and with us being so bad on faceoffs its not such a smart play. We were lucky we were up by 2 goals because one of those icings did cost us a goal.
Would you still think it was a smart play if it cost us the game.

Would you still think its a selfish play if it won the game?

Also it wasn't the icing that lost the game, there was plenty of time left. It was Orpik kabonging a Nuck into Holtby that lead to the goal. The Caps were playing solid 6 on 5 defense up to that point and the goal scored was a nothing shot but Holtby was on his butt due to Orpik. They had a 2 pt lead when they went for the ENG.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I think high quantity of EN attempts is definitely a directive from management/coaches, probably statistically driven. I have no problem with it.

However, I still think that once a player reaches ~30sec shift time when out in an empty net situation, they should be looking for any and every opportunity to get off the ice. If Ovechkin or any other player cannot embrace this notion, I don't think they should be out there.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Would you still think its a selfish play if it won the game?

Also it wasn't the icing that lost the game, there was plenty of time left. It was Orpik kabonging a Nuck into Holtby that lead to the goal. The Caps were playing solid 6 on 5 defense up to that point and the goal scored was a nothing shot but Holtby was on his butt due to Orpik. They had a 2 pt lead when they went for the ENG.
Just pointing out that we didn't actually lose the game. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad