The Bannana Blade

straka91*

I dont know if this the right area to post this so if not, sorry.

I have recently heard of the banana blade and that it was illegal to use in the NHL.

Does anyone have any more insight about this blade type and why it gave some players an advantage?

Thanks

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Good for wrist shots. Just look at a deep toe curve. I perfer a straight blade. Easier to keep the puck down cuz i have trouble with shooting a few feet over the net

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
Pick up a cheapo Sherwood 5030 woody with a coffey curve and see for yourself.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
That's just a term for a huge curve. When Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita were first curving sticks, they would put a massive curve on the blade and that would make shots harder and more unpredictable. The NHL limited the amount of curve because of injury concerns (and I guess a massive curve could cup the puck and create an unfair advantage).

A big curve can make it easier to lift the puck and get more spin for more power, as well as make stickhandling and toe drags easier for some. I used to use one but found I prefer the big open heel wedge with a straight blade instead...just as easy to lift the puck and powerful shots, but better accuracy.

BTW, love the avatar, Hull is my all-time favorite player.

straka91*

That's just a term for a huge curve. When Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita were first curving sticks, they would put a massive curve on the blade and that would make shots harder and more unpredictable. The NHL limited the amount of curve because of injury concerns (and I guess a massive curve could cup the puck and create an unfair advantage).

A big curve can make it easier to lift the puck and get more spin for more power, as well as make stickhandling and toe drags easier for some. I used to use one but found I prefer the big open heel wedge with a straight blade instead...just as easy to lift the puck and powerful shots, but better accuracy.

BTW, love the avatar, Hull is my all-time favorite player.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Yeah thanks, Hull was one of my favorites too. Amazing goal scorer.

Dump and Chase

Hand of God
May 6, 2010
Hull has his own display at the HHOF. There were a couple of his twigs in the display and I literally laughed out loud when I looked at the curve.

Here is a blurry ass pic I took on my phone. I know the pic sucks but you get the idea. Also the blade on this thing had to be a couple of inches longer than what you would see today.

Hull.jpg

Waltah*

i have a coffey 5030 woody and holy crap is it curved. its not a bad stick at all and it takes ZERO effort to elevate a puck forehand. back hand is another story.

Jimmy Carter

Avs/Leafs fan
Jul 24, 2010
Western NY
Pick up a cheapo Sherwood 5030 woody with a coffey curve and see for yourself.

That blade is a dirty, nasty mistress. Love shooting pucks with it. Played a few games of ball hockey with it on peewee nets, shot over the net by at least 2 feet every time, sometimes more.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
This is Stan Mitka's variation on the banana:

34zat5s.gif

That picture gives you a pretty good idea, but I was really hoping to find a much better pic of either Hull's or Mikita's, from a story where Ovechkin was handling the stick, owned by a collector in Russia. There were a couple of nice shots of the curve in the photos accompaning it, but that piece ain't turning up.

I did find this view of Bobby Hull's though:
tre_hull06.jpg

This one also popped up in the middle of the search, and while completely and totally irrelevant to the topic, it needs to be shared. Thank you google.

wayne-gretzky-soapy.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->