The Baertschi Blues

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
The unfortunate part about his development this season was Backlunds injury, without Backlund there he really just didn't fit in the roster on the top-9, hopefully next season we can get a young strong right winger to even out a line of Baertschi Backlund.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
The unfortunate part about his development this season was Backlunds injury, without Backlund there he really just didn't fit in the roster on the top-9, hopefully next season we can get a young strong right winger to even out a line of Baertschi Backlund.

Throw the cheque book at Perry. You can bet Horton will be hitting free agency too. Brunner might be looking for a pay day, but I doubt that's what you meant.

I doubt any of the RFAs like Stewart or Clutterbuck would be moved without huge overpayments.

TylerSVT*

Sven needs to impress to play. Im not confident in this organizations ability to develop him though. I would not be surprised to see him turn into a 40-50pt guy in our system. He has 80+ point potential, but the Flames are a horrible development squad.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC

I don't see how you can blame the Flames on this? Baerstchi even said it himself that he knew he was underperforming and was going to be sent down. Just because he's our best prospect doesn't mean he should get any special treatment. He has to work for his spot and he simply did not outperform anyone in the top 9 to keep it. He's a great player and he will be back, there's no doubt in my mind. A couple weeks to find his game is exactly what he needs right now.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Going back to draft day....

How did they pass on Rattie who played on the Winterhawks and had 154 points as a '93?

As for Sven...

I think he should finish the year in the AHL and fight for a spot next year. He didn't play well enough in the NHL this season to secure a spot.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

How did they pass on Rattie who played on the Winterhawks and had 154 points as a '93?

As for Sven...

I think he should finish the year in the AHL and fight for a spot next year. He didn't play well enough in the NHL this season to secure a spot.

How did we pass on Rattie?

TylerSVT*

As for Sven...

Rattie was gone in the 2nd round before we could pick him.

No way was he worth the 13th overall in that draft.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If anything I find this reassuring. Of course he is going to be disappointing he was sent down but at the end of the the top 9 was full of veterans + Backlund. Baertschi will develop much more playing top line in the AHL than trying to scrape together 10 minutes a night on the third line.

His confidence was tanked before he was send down because he had horrible puck luck, coupled with an injury.

Is this the season we hoped for him? Of course not, but its obvious to anyone watching that Baertschi has all tools to be a successful NHL player but that his physicality is not quite there yet. If he plays well in the AHL and the team ends up out of the playoffs expect to see him back up once he has had a chance to regain his confidence.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Honestly, this is the best thing that could happen to him. He is not physically ready to be an NHL player, but he will be a successful nhler if he simply continues to develop and get stronger on the boards. He is the most skilled prospect calgary has had in recent memory. I have no doubt he will be a solid NHL player in a couple of years.

Getting 1st line minutes and playing in all kinds of situations is exactly what he needs.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site

As for Sven...

lol. So you'd now rather move him out for his ex-teammate that is still playing in the CHL?

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
too many LWs on this team

“But it just doesn’t happen. Maybe the fans are disappointed in me now. Who knows? Maybe management and maybe the coaches (are disappointed) …

“It just changes everything.”

Clearly a rookie that's hard on himself. If anything this should be an encouraging sign that he ACTUALLY cares.

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
So I was doing some research and the heat score 1.8 goals a game (1.775 to be exact) without Sven with him they score 2.7 goals a game, its crazy how reliant they are on his offense.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
So I was doing some research and the heat score 1.8 goals a game (1.775 to be exact) without Sven with him they score 2.7 goals a game, its crazy how reliant they are on his offense.

The Flames are also 5-3-2 with him in their lineup and 4-7-2 without him, I'm not saying he is the reason we are winning, but I think he brings something to the team even when he's not scoring, whether it be energy, or enthusiasm, but I think we are a different team when he is around.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

As for Sven...

Ty Rattie was taken early in the 2nd round; long before the Flames had a pick. He's also not 1st round-worthy. And he's never scored 154 points in a season (Rattie didn't even have 154 total WHL points, post-season included, on draft day). The most he got was 121, which was when he was Baertschi's linemate.

I don't know if you're saying the Flames should've taken Rattie over Baertschi, but if you are I don't think there's a single person on HFBoards who would agree with you. Baertschi's posted significantly better numbers, appears from all viewings to be the guy driving the bus, and is only four months older than Rattie is.

Trae

Calgary
Finish the year in Abby, win Calder next season, sounds like a plan.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad