Player Discussion The Bad Granlund Phenomenon Part 4 (mod warning post #393)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Granlund will be an interesting case study next season with one good season under Wilbrod and not so good one under Greener. Greener seems fixated on turning him into a bottom 6 defensive forward, that may still turn up roses - the reconstruction of Granlund by Greener

Reactions: Nomobo

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I dunno...Granlund could come to camp a new man,..He's always been a tough read...He,like Gaunce,Leipsic,Motte etc are all going to be in a fight for jobs in September.

He's not a tough read at all. He's a bad hockey player who got lucky for one season with an inflated SH%, and extremely favourable deployment. It's happened many times with many other scrub players in the NHL. I wouldn't bother qualifying Granlund. He's the type of useless player this team needs to move on from.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He's not a tough read at all. He's a bad hockey player who got lucky for one season with an inflated SH%, and extremely favourable deployment. It's happened many times with many other scrub players in the NHL. I wouldn't bother qualifying Granlund. He's the type of useless player this team needs to move on from.
The Georgia Straight,June 5 2018
"But the Canucks went through a coaching change last offseason, and it became obvious very quickly that the new regime under head coach Travis Green was going to put an emphasis on having a strong and able checking line to match up with opponents’ top players.
Granlund was eyed as one of the candidates for that role and removed from a plum spot with the Sedins, which he occupied for much of the previous season.
That change in role is undoubtedly going to factor into Granlund’s next contract in a massive way. That’s because it’s hard to judge what Granlund did this year by looking at the bare stats.
Eight goals and four assists in 53 games. Minus-10. On the surface that’s a rough drop-off and would seem in line with the $900,000 salary he earned for the last two years.
But Granlund will almost certainly get a raise. Green leaned on him and Brandon Sutter quite a lot, sending them out against other teams’ top players. In fact, the 25-year-old started just under 62 percent of his shifts in the defensive zone.
He also only registered a minute and eight seconds of powerplay time per game—just barely above the likes of AHLer Reid Boucher—down from drawing almost two minutes of average time with the extra man last season.
That loss in powerplay time was more than made up for by the fact that Granlund averaged 2:25 of ice time while the Canucks were shorthanded, good for an increase of more than a minute on the previous season and second on the team among regular forwards. "

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The Georgia Straight,June 5 2018
"But the Canucks went through a coaching change last offseason, and it became obvious very quickly that the new regime under head coach Travis Green was going to put an emphasis on having a strong and able checking line to match up with opponents’ top players.
Granlund was eyed as one of the candidates for that role and removed from a plum spot with the Sedins, which he occupied for much of the previous season.
That change in role is undoubtedly going to factor into Granlund’s next contract in a massive way. That’s because it’s hard to judge what Granlund did this year by looking at the bare stats.
Eight goals and four assists in 53 games. Minus-10. On the surface that’s a rough drop-off and would seem in line with the $900,000 salary he earned for the last two years.
But Granlund will almost certainly get a raise. Green leaned on him and Brandon Sutter quite a lot, sending them out against other teams’ top players. In fact, the 25-year-old started just under 62 percent of his shifts in the defensive zone.
He also only registered a minute and eight seconds of powerplay time per game—just barely above the likes of AHLer Reid Boucher—down from drawing almost two minutes of average time with the extra man last season.
That loss in powerplay time was more than made up for by the fact that Granlund averaged 2:25 of ice time while the Canucks were shorthanded, good for an increase of more than a minute on the previous season and second on the team among regular forwards. "

Doesn't surprise me that Benning would give him a raise. Linden did compare Granlund to Patrice Bergeron. These idiots don't have a clue what they're doing so why would we expect them to do anything that makes sense?

Granlund was awful last year.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I may be wrong, but didn't someone here point out how when Granlund was out the checking line improved with Archibald?

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Lol there is a checking line?

Either way if they boot him or sign him to a cheap deal he is a lot better than Baby Gary Busey. I hate Granlund but Shinkaruk was a lousy pick with Shea Theodore sitting there. Come on Eye Bags!!!!

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Doesn't surprise me that Benning would give him a raise. Linden did compare Granlund to Patrice Bergeron. These idiots don't have a clue what they're doing so why would we expect them to do anything that makes sense?

Granlund was awful last year.
He just had a different role..and to be fair,I thought that he had a bit of an off year as well....Green likes him.

When he's on,he can be an effective player that can play all 3 forward positions up and down the lineup...I think he will have a bounce back next season.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Lol there is a checking line?

Either way if they boot him or sign him to a cheap deal he is a lot better than Baby Gary Busey. I hate Granlund but Shinkaruk was a lousy pick with Shea Theodore sitting there. Come on Eye Bags!!!!
Havent heard that nickname for Hunter but I like it

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
He just had a different role..and to be fair,I thought that he had a bit of an off year as well....Green likes him.

When he's on,he can be an effective player that can play all 3 forward positions up and down the lineup...I think he will have a bounce back next season.

Except that's not true at all. He wasn't even a good player in 2016-17. He just had an inflated SH% and favourable deployment. It's not like he was playing well on the ice. He constantly gets beat on board battles. He's weak defensively. He doesn't generate much offensively. He's not worth a roster spot.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Except that's not true at all. He wasn't even a good player in 2016-17. He just had an inflated SH% and favourable deployment. It's not like he was playing well on the ice. He constantly gets beat on board battles. He's weak defensively. He doesn't generate much offensively. He's not worth a roster spot.
Your bias on this particular player is well documented..Even if he had a great season,you would never concede to it.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
:laugh: Yeah, Granlund having no great seasons is totally unrelated to why we don't like him...

I mean, ffs the best the guy's done was 32 points in a season, and that was with the team basically dedicating itself to wringing every last drop of production out of him. The guy's simply not a good player and the reason why the team's in the dumpster is because it's run by people who look at the Markus Granlunds of the world and keep seeing future stars instead of the colourless lumps of mediocrity they are.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

There's no bias. I've formulated my opinion on this player based on his analytics. He's not a good hockey player.

I have trouble with Granlund's analytics from 2016-17 and keep seeing his set of numbers for that season as an outlier in comparison to the rest of his career, numbers-wise.

Every other season he's played in the NHL his analytics look somewhere between bad and terrible. For 2016-17, looking at hockey-reference.com I see:

CF% 51.1 CF%Rel + 3.7 FF% 48.9 FF% Rel + 2.3 oish% 7.2 oisv% 89.4 PDO 96.6 oZS% 51.4

Those raw numbers look pretty decent.

His standard boxcars had 32 pts including 19 goals in 69 games, and a -19 +/- with a small-sample faceoff % (he played wing, not center, almost all the time) of 39.6%. The scoring is decent enough, the +/- at least in theory consistent with his PDO of 96.6 (generally PDO is attributed mostly to luck.) He seems on first glance to have scored ok and had good relative possession stats in a slightly sheltered role.

Bad players shouldn't suddenly appear to be good, then immediately bad again, so I expect there are things I'm missing regarding the numbers for 2016-17.. Could you let me know what they are? Thanks.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Just because there's the 20 or 30 or so posters on HFVan that doubled down on the Shinkaruk trade does not mean that thats the general view of Markus Granlund.
Vancouver Canucks: Markus Granlund deserves another chance

Predicting what will happen with the Vancouver Canucks’ restricted free agents: Markus Granlund
Nobody cares about Shinkaruk. It's just a straw man for those out there who refuse to face the fact this is a thread about the player and not the transaction.

Reactions: Hit the post
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad