The Backes call

zico20

Nov 7, 2011
How much has that 5 minute major that costs us the game affected the Blues. We were steam rolling along and now we have fallen apart. I know that professionals should get over it quickly, but damn, we not only are losing but losing badly. Just was wondering what everybody thought. Is this just a coincedence or did it have a lasting effect.

Blue Note

Jun 17, 2012
Eglin AFB FL
Either the BS Backes Call or Halak's unexpected depture from the same game... It also appears (and I hate to blame anyone) the refs NHL wide are kinda meh this year with calls, kinda crappy calls IMO

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
Ive been saying this the past few days.

We were down in that game but not playing too bad and I felt we had a chance at coming back as we had a few times already in the short season. Since that call, the Blues seemed to have deflated and any and all deficiencies have been highlighted.

I don't think anyone here would disagree with the statement "We need to get back to basics", but I don't know how we are going to do it. Hitch has his work cut out for him.

This is a playoff team and there will be some shakeups if we do not make it, that is for sure.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
That call did kill our momentum but good teams overcome adversity, we are not there yet but I hope we can figure it out sooner rather then later or it will be no playoffs this yr. if your Armstrong do you wait for Hitch to right the ship or make a shake it up trade?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
That's absolutely no excuse. If this team doesn't have the leadership or mental make up to get past one bad call, there's not a chance in hell they ever win a Cup with this core. I think they've just been playing poorly. They got comfortable after their good start and got hit in the mouth and haven't responded yet.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
They lost their edge with the gad calls, Halak being out, and also started enjoying scoring so much that they started concentrating on trying to score, rather than playing the all-out 2-way hockey that's required in Hitch's system. They've"forgotten" how to play that way, and lost their confidence, and the energy that comes with that. They've somehow got to get back to it.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
It reminds me of the Petro accident against the Kings.
For sure it was a shock, for sure it kills the momentum and for sure you're pissed if you lose a game this way but if you aren't strong enough mentally to overcome things like that quickly you won't win f***ing anything

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
I agree, it may have affected them some but a true, good hockey team has to be able to overcome things like that. Sure, losing a game or 2 but it's been how many now? They should be able to get past it by now.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I am not going to down play the significance of the Backes call. It really did affect the team. BUT, any team that has Cup aspirations and can't overcome that call in a day or two shouldn't expect to win without a major change in attitude.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The biggest factor is that we couldn't get back on the ice right away, we sat for 4 days until the next game. I can understand that being very deflating. So it hasn't helped, but it isn't an excuse either.

Getting violated by Nashville in the next game should have been the kick up the ass we needed.

Maya Blue

Jan 17, 2013
While this team has a lot of skill, the mental makeup of several on the team is concerning. This team was mostly assembled before Hitch got here, and it was amazing what he did in such a short time.

It's like we have too many children on the team and not enough adults. They start pouting when things don't go their way. They don't know how to stand up for each other. When they are focused, they can beat anyone, but as LA showed in the playoffs last year, screw up the focus and the Blues will fold like a chair.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
Everyone is touching on exactly what I've been thinking for a while, this team lacks veteran leadership.

Even though it's very popular to believe Arnott and Langenbrunner being off the team increases the talent level, it's what this team is missing. Real veteran leadership that has been there and done it, (they just deserve respect from the younger players) and they were very familiar with Hitchcock so they were coaches on the ice and in the room and anytime they waivered I remember Arnott always taking a leadership role last year.

I do think there needs to be shake up and I do believe MAYBE a very popular player needs to go, this will help with the attitude on this team. But I wouldn’t make a deal unless they get true leadership in return that fits this system. I beginning to believe Backes was given the C too early. If the right deal isn’t available then I think they should be allowed to just struggle to get into the playoffs, the experience could humble them and with a fresh start in the playoffs we could see the team we believe they could be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad