The back-up position: Is Talbot the guy?

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
I'm curious what you Rangers fans think about your back-up position. I had never heard of Cam Talbot before I just saw that he has played 3 games. Are you comfortable with him for the future or do you think someone else will or should be brought in? There are a few teams out there with a glut of NHL-experienced goalies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think he's the guy. He played very well in Hartford last year despite receiving very little support from the team in front of him. He also looked good in preseason action. Extremely small sample size, but the early returns on his game at the NHL level are very positive.

I think the team is confident in him, for sure. If they weren't, they wouldn't have waived Biron without first finding a suitable replacement.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I think Talbot proved himself in the past 3 games. Team had King hurt and Biron a vet let go and he didn't crap himself.

Hes a good cheap backup and its looking like a good move bringing him up now

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
I dont know much about Talbot from the Whale (but others does, and have praised his play there). What i've seen this far has been very impressive. I dont expect him to manage to keep to that (most players when called up play at 120 percent for the first couple of games), but even if his level of play goes down a notch, he still seems to be a very good and reliable backup.

And short of a goalie trade, we pretty much have to use him as a backup since Biron retired, dont we ?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The Rangers will make a move for a backup when, and if, Talbot shows that he can't handle the job. So far he's proven to be capable.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
He still needs to improve in a few areas, but the organization seems to be committed to him — if for no other reason than is salary.

Nekz

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 8, 2007
New York
I was nervous at first but after watching him play, he's been incredibly solid. Would really have to watch him verse a top tier team, but so far I am much more comfortable with him than Biron.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
I think Talbot has been perfectly fine and has deserved his call up to this point but I'm a little concerned about his rebound control and reactions. He gets beat on one-on-one shots but is rarely in the wrong spot. I'm not sure his current stats will hold up but he's been fantastic in every game he's played so far. There doesn't seem to be any glaring specific weakness as far as areas of the net he doesn't protect and the reactions might improve as he acclimates to the speed of the NHL. You might see him struggle against teams that crash the net and score a lot of 'dirty' goals.

KreiMeARiver*

I think he's the guy. He played very well in Hartford last year despite receiving very little support from the team in front of him. He also looked good in preseason action. Extremely small sample size, but the early returns on his game at the NHL level are very positive.

I think the team is confident in him, for sure. If they weren't, they wouldn't have waived Biron without first finding a suitable replacement.

And by "suitable replacement" you mean anyone who has heard of the position of "goaltender" in the sport of "ice hockey"? haha

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
If Talbot can manage to start 20 games and just go .500 I would be elated. That's basically all you could ever ask for out of a back up/non time share goalie

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I like Talbot. However, I am getting the feeling he gets the nod against Columbus on Thursday and Gaborik is going to do terrible things to him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
His rebound control could use work, and he will still give up the odd "WTF?" goal. Thing is, if he fully addressed those deficiencies, then he'd be a starting-caliber goaltender somewhere and not playing backup for us.

adam94

BU Terriers
Nov 16, 2011
Long Island
I think Talbot is definitely the guy. Although he may never have the career as a starter that Biron had, he'll definitely be one of the better backups in the league like Biron was the past few years.

Pastafazul*

the king should be dethroned! until he decides to put hockey first i would play talbot as long as he remains hot!

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
I think he has been good. The one area he seems to excel at and I wish hank was better is freezing the puck. In the short sample he has a knack for knowing when his guys need a break etc Hank always just seems so focused on kicking the puck out or blocking it away. Sometimes I think he would be better served freezing the puck and slowing things down

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I dont know if hes the answer. I need to see at least 10 more starts. Anyone who definitely says he is or isn't NHL caliber right now is full of ****.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Is he the guy?

Yes. Yes he is.
As noted, certain aspects of game could use work, but, they invested in developing him 'cause that glove hand is already exceptionally fast enough for NHL level work, and has been for a couple of years, if my memory of Traverse games then are correct.

Dec 13, 2010
Is he the guy?

Yes. Yes he is.
As noted, certain aspects of game could use work, but, they invested in developing him 'cause that glove hand is already exceptionally fast enough for NHL level work, and has been for a couple of years, if my memory of Traverse games then are correct.

I actually felt that his glove seemed like a weakness. His positioning is decent but not great, and while his glove was definitely quick he seemed uncomfortable making glove saves. I could see him being beat a lot glove high, although most goalies are these days. One thing I do love about him is his rebound control. It's top-notch. Talbot is a fine backup but I'm not a huge fan of his overall game, but this is only from limited time seeing him in Hartford and his 3 starts this year. He could develop.

If the team decides to move away from Hank (don't see that happening, but you never know) I don't see Talbot as a viable starter by any means. I think backup in this league is about his ceiling, or maybe starter on a team with no other options (I'd take him over say...Dubnyk)

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
we have much larger fish to fry.

he looks poised, calm and controlled. he doesnt look overmatched at all. his technique seems solid.

so far, so good.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Echoing the same everyone else has said. Still needs work in some areas, but overall, I'd say he's our guy. Allaire is a good goalie coach, and I think Talbot will work out well under him. He's only played 2 games total (if I'm not mistaken) and he looked poised and calm in both. Good feelings from me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad