OT: The Avalounge: Nerd Central 2.0

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Taco Bell did it again with their loaded nacho tacos. Such a GOAT franchise
I’ve gotta say I usually love Taco Bell, but their jalapeño nacho fries burrito sucked ass. Their five layer burrito is a late night staple for me, though.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I’ve gotta say I usually love Taco Bell, but their jalapeño nacho fries burrito sucked ass. Their five layer burrito is a late night staple for me, though.
Those 5 layer burritos were 99 cent when I was in HS, and I always went there after school.

Reactions: 5280

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

On a side note. I think I have a freaking virus on the web browser on my phone. Is that even a thing?

Translation: I ate late-night Taco Bell, but it's my phone that ended up with The Runs.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I just bought the 7-layer burrito and I can’t be more excited

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Any of you dudes do hifi stereos. I just bought a vintage Marantz and Klipsch speakers. It sounds so good. I definitely went down the audiophile rabbit hole.

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
Any of you dudes do hifi stereos. I just bought a vintage Marantz and Klipsch speakers. It sounds so good. I definitely went down the audiophile rabbit hole.
I just went nuts on Sonos porducts last month. Have my record player hooked up. It streams anywhere in the house, its magic and sounds great.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Aw man I kinda miss Taco Bell. Nachos supreme, Gorditas, soft tacos with hot sauce. Mmmm. I mean, I'm way healthier now that I've quit fast food, but damn that shit was tasty.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
So I saw Avengers: End Game last night. Not going to post spoilers, even though I really really want to talk about it. I enjoyed it quite a bit. So did my wife, and it is now my 10 year old son's favorite movie. Some twists, and some expectations met. Some tidbits that make you shake your head.

I will spoil one thing, but I doubt anyone will mind. There is no mid or end credits scene.

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I want to know why people are still "go to the grand opening" level interested in the MCU? What has kept you engaged? I remember thinking "well, I don't give a f*** about this anymore" like honestly four years ago. No lie, I went to see the Winter Soldier and I saw GotG (Ant Man on video at some point), but not Age of Ultron I don't think. At that point I went, nah I don't need to see all of this. After that I've seen Doctor Strange on Netflix.

What's different with seemingly a lot of people where they didn't go "nah, I've seen this shit now"?

This is a jab in a way but it's also an honest question.

Reactions: Arcade Fire

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I don't get it either Risto, and I know no one IRL well who cares either. But the MCU still rakes in cash hand over fist, so clearly a huge population does care. I just don't overlap with them very much.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I want to know why people are still "go to the grand opening" level interested in the MCU?
There is no way in hell you're going to find me going to an opening of a MCU movie, especially a movie as hyped as Endgame. I do plan on going sometime next week, but there are rumours out there that some of these characters will not return for future films such as Iron Man, Captain America, and others (a change of guard so to speak). So when you put your money and time in watching all the Iron Man movies, the Captain America movies, and The Avengers then you get emotionally attached to the point you fall in love with it. This could be the same mechanisms in relationships where you're hooked to it and will still love the person (aka MCU) even if they do something bad like forgetting your birthday (aka making a bad movie).

Only one I know of who absolutely loves playing his role/character is Chris Hemsworth and that's why there will be a Thor IV.

I don't get it either Risto, and I know no one IRL well who cares either. But the MCU still rakes in cash hand over fist, so clearly a huge population does care. I just don't overlap with them very much.
Wait....you like GoT, but you don't understand the love for MCU? For real Smile?

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I want to know why people are still "go to the grand opening" level interested in the MCU? What has kept you engaged? I remember thinking "well, I don't give a **** about this anymore" like honestly four years ago. No lie, I went to see the Winter Soldier and I saw GotG (Ant Man on video at some point), but not Age of Ultron I don't think. At that point I went, nah I don't need to see all of this. After that I've seen Doctor Strange on Netflix.

What's different with seemingly a lot of people where they didn't go "nah, I've seen this **** now"?

This is a jab in a way but it's also an honest question.

Escapism is the answer for me and the wifey. Life can be stressful, brutal and/or boring. It's simply fun for us to grab a bucket of popcorn and an ocean sized coke and unplug for a couple of hours in a theater. We never really grew up either (both kids at heart even though we are in our mid-late 40s now.) For us, I believe that is also the reason why we listen to certain Jimmy Buffett records over and over, or why I revisit certain books (Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn, Travis McGee novels, etc) even though I've read them dozens of times throughout the years. It re-connects me to my childhood and in a way re-energizes me for a period of time.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Escapism is the answer for me and the wifey. Life can be stressful, brutal and/or boring. It's simply fun for us to grab a bucket of popcorn and an ocean sized coke and unplug for a couple of hours in a theater. We never really grew up either (both kids at heart even though we are in our mid-late 40s now.) For us, I believe that is also the reason why we listen to certain Jimmy Buffett records over and over, or why I revisit certain books (Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn, Travis McGee novels, etc) even though I've read them dozens of times throughout the years. It re-connects me to my childhood and in a way re-energizes me for a period of time.
I totally get connecting with your childhood. Certain cartoons and video games do that for me. Is it the comics? Because superhero movies don't do that for me.
Wait....you like GoT, but you don't understand the love for MCU? For real Smile?
Yep, I'm definitely out on both. Too bad, I think GoT could've been okay if I got on the wagon. Oh well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The movies have just gotten to be legitimately awesome movies.

Quite frankly the first 5 or 6 years of the MCU I really didn't care much for it. I saw a few of them but not all. GOTG was actually the big turning point where I thought they had actually made a really great movie and it's implications to the rest of the MCU intrigued me.

Since that time my interest has really grown and I'll watch every single one pretty much on opening weekend if not opening day.

The fact each movie ties into the world they've created and it all led up to this ending right now to me was extremely cool.

Reactions: McMetal

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I totally get connecting with your childhood. Certain cartoons and video games do that for me. Is it the comics? Because superhero movies don't do that for me.
I think it's the emotional attachment I talked about, you have two types of people who go to the theatre. One type are people who just go for the sake of liking movies and want to unwind. Within this category are some people that I know who are huge into the Oscars and they go to the theatre to watch the "best of" movies for when the Oscars are on. The second type are people who pinpoint certain movies, they go because a preview caught their eye, they're emotionally attached to the franchise/book, or anything else that garners their appeal. I would say this is more of the common movie watcher and why MCU is popular.

I don't know if it has anything to do with comic books, I know when I grew up the only comic book I enjoyed was Sonic the Hedgehog. Did not own one Spiderman, Batman, or Superman. However, the MCU caught my eye and I've enjoyed it ever since. For me personally, I think I care more for the acting than the actually main storyline. Of course I am a creative guy and I am more on that side of the spectrum in regards of I prefer more creativity than less. However, Robert Downey Jr. was amazing as Tony Stark, Hemsworth played a greek god pretty fantastic, Brie Larson was wonderful in her role, Black Panther was absolutely cast perfectly, and you can go on and on (Spiderman, Dr. Strange, GotG). I don't think you can say there has been a truly terrible acting performance by anyone in the MCU except perhaps Mark Ruffalo and even then he has a very small screen time and half of his character is CGI.

It comes down to the same properties of musical taste to be honest, person "A" doesn't get the appeal of Nirvana or Tool, while person "B" doesn't get the appeal of Cannibal Corpse or Dying Fetus. Some doesn't get why superhero movies are so popular while another bloke probably doesn't understand why a person out there doesn't like superhero movies.

In better movie news and tagging @The Mars Volchenkov because of it...

Full cast announcement:

Rami Malek, fresh from his Oscar-winning turn in Bohemian Rhapsody and rumoured as the main villain for some time, was officially confirmed, alongside Lea Seydoux, reprising her role as Dr. Madelaine Swann from the previous Bond outing Spectre, plus Ben Whishaw who returns as Q, Ralph Fiennes as M and Naomie Harris as Miss Moneypenny. Also returning are Spectre's Rory Kinnear and Jeffrey Wright, who appeared in Quantum of Solace, while newcomers include Ana de Armas (Blade Runner 2049), Billy Magnussen (Game Night), Dali Benssalah, Lashana Lynch (Captain Marvel) and David Dencik (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy).

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I think it's the emotional attachment I talked about, you have two types of people who go to the theatre. One type are people who just go for the sake of liking movies and want to unwind. Within this category are some people that I know who are huge into the Oscars and they go to the theatre to watch the "best of" movies for when the Oscars are on. The second type are people who pinpoint certain movies, they go because a preview caught their eye, they're emotionally attached to the franchise/book, or anything else that garners their appeal. I would say this is more of the common movie watcher and why MCU is popular.

I don't know if it has anything to do with comic books, I know when I grew up the only comic book I enjoyed was Sonic the Hedgehog. Did not own one Spiderman, Batman, or Superman. However, the MCU caught my eye and I've enjoyed it ever since. For me personally, I think I care more for the acting than the actually main storyline. Of course I am a creative guy and I am more on that side of the spectrum in regards of I prefer more creativity than less. However, Robert Downey Jr. was amazing as Tony Stark, Hemsworth played a greek god pretty fantastic, Brie Larson was wonderful in her role, Black Panther was absolutely cast perfectly, and you can go on and on (Spiderman, Dr. Strange, GotG). I don't think you can say there has been a truly terrible acting performance by anyone in the MCU except perhaps Mark Ruffalo and even then he has a very small screen time and half of his character is CGI.

It comes down to the same properties of musical taste to be honest, person "A" doesn't get the appeal of Nirvana or Tool, while person "B" doesn't get the appeal of Cannibal Corpse or Dying Fetus. Some doesn't get why superhero movies are so popular while another bloke probably doesn't understand why a person out there doesn't like superhero movies.

In better movie news and tagging @The Mars Volchenkov because of it...

Full cast announcement:

I do appreciate you using Tool and Nirvana as the one taste in music so I went, "yeah those are good" and then "naw, that's awful". :laugh:

Nah, but I do get the appeal of superhero movies, I've seen a fair bit and they're light and kinda fun, what I don't get is how are y'all not fatigued by now?

The last couple of times I went to the movies I saw a horror film. No franchises. But I'm not a huge movie-goer either.

Interestingly, I've never really liked James Bond movies that much either. They're just kind of meh.

Reactions: S E P H

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Part of it is having a 10 year old kid. Part of it is having grown up reading the comics. Part is they are mostly genuinely good movies.

But I am one that does not get fatigued that easily. Take Star Wars. I saw every single one of them in the theater, first run. A few opening day (a couple midnight showings). I have read most of the EU (Legneds now) books, and am currently reading the newer books as I can find them in digital libraries (not buying paper books anymore due to moving them internationally is not cheap). I read Tolkien as a kid, and saw LoTR as midnight showings. Only saw one Hobbit movie in a theater, as they are not kid friendly, but have watched them all at home after bedtime. If they did remakes, I would watch them. There are other book series I have read that could have gotten to the fatigue limit for some, but not me.

Heck, I would likely get tired of hockey before most of the entertainment series I consume, mainly due to volume and frequency.... I see maybe 10 movies a year max (Star Wars, MCU, DCU, Kids). I read what books I can get from Aurora Public Library Online and that I have time for; but I watch close to a thousand games a year....though many are not full 3x20 stop time games :). And there are probably some here that watch as much as I do (though likely better average quality given some of the games I work). Why do we not get fatigued from that?

Reactions: McMetal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad