OT: The Avalounge: Steamed Hams, despite the fact they are obviously grilled

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Sorry, I’ll delete this. Well....one it didn’t really make any sense, and two it’s a bit insensitive.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
giphy.gif
Did you mean to quote SEPH's Vengaboys link but accidentally quoted me?

Oh, BTW Spyro Re-Ignited is the shit on Switch.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Sopranos, and GoT are the best. different genres though.

Right now I'm watching On my block and recently finished snowfall. If anyone likes BB they'll loveee snowfall.
A show with an incredible amount of potential that they just pissed away due to having arguably the corniest actors/actresses and script writing imaginable.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Did you mean to quote SEPH's Vengaboys link but accidentally quoted me?

Oh, BTW Spyro Re-Ignited is the shit on Switch.
Nah, I was just being stupid, trying to make you laugh. Good on ya for staying in. Is your apartment really 272 square feet? At lest I have a yard to run around in.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Nah, I was just being stupid, trying to make you laugh. Good on ya for staying in. Is your apartment really 272 square feet? At lest I have a yard to run around in.
No, I thought because of Vengaboys... Because the thing about Vengaboys is...

No, no. More like 265.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Just picked up some Laphrouig (sp?) 10 scotch. It’s like drinking an old baseball glove that has been roasted over a fire. I like it though.

@xpatriatedtexan or who else gets into this stuff

Laphroaig 10 Year Islay Single Malt, is my favorite sipping scotch of all time. It's followed closely by Talisker 10 Year Single Malt. The single malts as I said early are my clear favorites but there are good blends as well. I tend to get drunker of the blends just because I don't mind adding a drop or two of water to open them up more. Also, I don't spend near as much time smelling and tasting as I do when I have a handle of good single malt scotch.

Laphroaig's taste is distinct and unlike anything else I have tried to far. However, unlike a good classic beer, I'm not always in the mood for scotch so the bottles tend to last a lot longer which is a good thing considering the price point. While $50-$80 a bottle isn't unobtainable, it is spendy and I usually reserve it for after a bad day or on special occasions. I fine Laphroaig to be like what I would expect eating a chunk of peat moss soaked in seawater and boiled in ocean water would taste like...but I mean this is the best way possible. Damn near everyone I've ever come across has described it differently and to be honest even reading how I described it, I can understand why folks are lining up left and right to get it. Not sure I've ever giving some to a person who hasn't had scotch yet. I've given it out plenty of times to folks that have Glennfiddich, Glenlivet, Johnny Walker, Dewers, etc and they've all come away impressed with it. I suppose scotch in general is an acquired taste.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Laphroaig 10 Year Islay Single Malt, is my favorite sipping scotch of all time. It's followed closely by Talisker 10 Year Single Malt. The single malts as I said early are my clear favorites but there are good blends as well. I tend to get drunker of the blends just because I don't mind adding a drop or two of water to open them up more. Also, I don't spend near as much time smelling and tasting as I do when I have a handle of good single malt scotch.

Laphroaig's taste is distinct and unlike anything else I have tried to far. However, unlike a good classic beer, I'm not always in the mood for scotch so the bottles tend to last a lot longer which is a good thing considering the price point. While $50-$80 a bottle isn't unobtainable, it is spendy and I usually reserve it for after a bad day or on special occasions. I fine Laphroaig to be like what I would expect eating a chunk of peat moss soaked in seawater and boiled in ocean water would taste like...but I mean this is the best way possible. Damn near everyone I've ever come across has described it differently and to be honest even reading how I described it, I can understand why folks are lining up left and right to get it. Not sure I've ever giving some to a person who hasn't had scotch yet. I've given it out plenty of times to folks that have Glennfiddich, Glenlivet, Johnny Walker, Dewers, etc and they've all come away impressed with it. I suppose scotch in general is an acquired taste.
I must have been given the idea to buy it from you, then. Yeah, I definitely seem to like the taste of the Laphroaig. It’s just completely off the wall different and has so many different flavors and layers to it. It’s up my alley for sure.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Got any recommendations? I’ve bought Oban 14 and Laphroaig 10 recently. I like them both but the Oban 14 better. I always used to order Macallan at the bar when I was trying to be cool and I’ve had Glenfidditch 12(?) a couple of times which was ok but I like the Macallan better. Other than that I’m a total newb.

Offering advice for bottles can be difficult because they tend to be spendy and tastes always vary. I'd advice trying to find a bar that specializing in or at least has a wide variety of scotch and trying them by the glass before shelling out $80 a bottle. Specifically if you found Glenfiddich to be okay, I'd step up and try to get Glenfidich 15 year...much better (my wife actually likes it.) Also, pro tip, never order a double or a glass with ice or water in it. Feel free to add to it after a sip or two but not to begin with. Also, when they poor a single shot of whiskey into a sipping glass, bartenders tend to not like to send over a drink that looks that small, so they often overfill. At least up here in Fairbanks they do...unlike at the East Gate Mall Marriott in Columbus. Good lord, they were playing the Avs game at the bar so I decided to watch the game down there. Was drinking Ardbeg 10 year (another Island of Islay product.) I asked for an Ardbeg and she brought me a healthy fillup. I didn't realize she was also charging me for doubles the whole night. Got the bill after the post-game show and realized I had made an error. Would've been cheaper for me to buy a bottle in the mall. *LOL*

Reactions: 5280

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Fantasy and sci-fi are my bread and butter. Books, movies, and TV, I've always been fascinated with other worlds. The creative freedom that comes from the ability to invent your own reality is awesome and leads to so many wonderful and creative stories. Lots of derivative hacks write sci-fi and fantasy, don't get me wrong. But the good stuff is SO GOOD.
Isaac Asimov is my favorite sci-fy author. He created psycho-history (a combination of psychiatry, history and math and stats) as a way of modeling the future way, way before its time. We are actually trying and succeeding in some cases with this now, but I believe it has a lot more with correctly reading tea-leaves than being a true science yet.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Islay scotch is just so specific. I feel like every brand brings something unique and interesting to the table. No matter if you talk about Caol Ila, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, my personal favorite Lagavulin 16 or any other tasty creation from Islay. Even the brands themselves have a huge variety to pick from, for example, Ardbeg 10 is a completely different animal from Ardbeg Uigeadail thanks to the bourbon cask finish with hints of sherry.

As for blended, I like Monkey Shoulder the most. I feel like that is the best bang for buck Speyside blend out there. It's my favorite for mixing as well. Outside of scotch, I find Irish whiskey the most enjoyable, Redbreast and Green Spot are up there with Islay scotches for me. Most of the time I'll have a single malt Islay, blended Speyside and a single pot Irish whiskey at home, and the bottles usually last quite a while, that is unless we are having friends over or a party as I like to share my stash and get others more educated about whiskey.

Reactions: 5280

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Islay scotch is just so specific. I feel like every brand brings something unique and interesting to the table. No matter if you talk about Caol Ila, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, my personal favorite Lagavulin 16 or any other tasty creation from Islay. Even the brands themselves have a huge variety to pick from, for example, Ardbeg 10 is a completely different animal from Ardbeg Uigeadail thanks to the bourbon cask finish with hints of sherry.

As for blended, I like Monkey Shoulder the most. I feel like that is the best bang for buck Speyside blend out there. It's my favorite for mixing as well. Outside of scotch, I find Irish whiskey the most enjoyable, Redbreast and Green Spot are up there with Islay scotches for me. Most of the time I'll have a single malt Islay, blended Speyside and a single pot Irish whiskey at home, and the bottles usually last quite a while, that is unless we are having friends over or a party as I like to share my stash and get others more educated about whiskey.

I stumbled upon that at an ABC liquor store in Murphy, North Carolina a few Christmases ago. Best blended scotch I’ve ever had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->