OT: The Avalounge: Potential Serial Killers Talk About Serial Killers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't mind superhero movies, but they are very formulaic these days. Baddie has some shiny thing he needs to conquer earth/the universe and superheroes band together to stop him.

The most interesting superhero story is Watchmen and there the comic book is so much better than the movie. Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is by far the best superhero movies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don't mind superhero movies, but they are very formulaic these days. Baddie has some shiny thing he needs to conquer earth/the universe and superheroes band together to stop him.

The most interesting superhero story is Watchmen and there the comic book is so much better than the movie. Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is by far the best superhero movies.

Okay, now that's one that I really do love. Awesome movie. Heath Ledger was amazing as the Joker.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO

You should check out Logan it was a pretty interesting take on a super hero flick.

Reactions: McMetal

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Pass for which movies though? Mission Impossible 40? Fast and Furious 90? Insert "Kevin Hart and the Rock in a drug deal gone bad" 34? I get that there are 650 of them, but all of them are unique storylines which in part only share the Marvel "header". The problem and I kind of agree with you here is that some of the characters got too many movies. Iron Man getting three movies with less than stellar villains is absolutely on point for people who dislike it. Antman is another one where I am not sure it should have ever been made a movie. But I will potentially take the bad like overproduction to get to the heart of what makes the MCU so amazing with the likes of Dr. Strange, Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Captain Marvel (could add Captain America in there as well).

As for my second point, which movies out there are worth watching over the likes of Marvel? Of course you can say "none" and I will respect. However, I am also making the point that majority of the movies that are about to come out in the next six months are just constant rehashes. If you want to blame someone, I wouldn't blame Marvel and blame Hollywood coming out with less than 1% of actual good original storyline IMHO.

Yes, I thought it was fantastic but I admit I was already hyped about this movie. I was scared considering it was getting poor and average review, but the trailers doesn't really do it justice.

Not an unpopular opinion anymore, I think it's the new fad to bash superhero movies. But to each of his own I guess, I mean I am more in the group that I have no ****ing clue how people can watch Game of Thrones (But everyone seems to love it).

Pretty much, but there were a lot of misses to get it to this point with terrible movies like Fantastic Four, some of the X-Men, Hulk, Sony's Spiderman, Ghost Rider, and Ben Affleck's Daredevil.
Ben Affleck's Daredevil was wonderfully Y2K even if a middling movie. Much like the 1992 Batman, they were hilariously reminiscent of their respective eras.

Anyway, people aren't bashing superhero movies because it's cool, they're doing it because of oversaturation. Shuffling through the entire MCU canon, it was always going to come to this.

To me, SH movies are tied to my feelings and memories about certain heroes. And they're the very basic superheroes. I don't have any connection to all these minor characters and I'm not interested in that. I don't care if they tie up the loose ends in the canon. I don't want to think of anything in the big picture of the MCU. I want to bask in that feeling of what Batman is or what Superman (they're DC, I know) or Spider-Man is. Basically, the 80's and 90's Batman films are a great example of what I ideally want from those movies. Same dude, different suit, different bad guy, maybe you switch up the feel a little but essentially it's an episode of a series where a different bad guy goes to jail every time.

Meanwhile, the SH movie media and fans are like "Will we finally see Hawk Wing Face in a movie?!" and "I can't believe they briefly showed Glirb Glorb in a background shot, this means they're going to have this and that!" And I'm just sitting there like "Who are all these other guys? I thought Captain America was supposed to fight centralized economy?"

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Captain Marvel was awesome, not top-tier Marvel content on the level of Civil War or Black Panther, but still great stuff and well worth my ticket money.

I love the MCU, ultimately they're good movies and the ambition and nerve that it takes to do such a story is legitimately impressive, and has literally never been done in the history of cinema. It's not for everybody, but they warm my nerdy heart.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I've been a comic book nerd ever since my teen years and have loved the Marvel movies (for the most part) because they managed to fit together so many characters and plotlines into one cohesive universe (DC tried and so far has failed miserably). The only films I've truly disliked were Avengers 2, Doctor Strange, and Thor 2. I'm one of the few alive that really didn't mind Iron Man 2, though I can see why that one was not well-received. Not gonna sit here and say they were cinematic gold, but nearly all of them have been thoroughly entertaining to me. I don't have the same feelings about the Raimi Spider-Man films or the extraordinarily tired X-Men franchise. Both are horridly overrated IMO, but that's just me.

All that said, I do kinda hope that someday, the comic book movie explosion goes away. I'm rather saddened by the fact that comic book movies have never been bigger business, yet comic book sales have never been lower.

Reactions: McMetal

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
These guys get a lot of guff....but **** it...This is a great song...

My wife works for a fire department. I've spent early mornings with kids who are 18 years old on a scholarship who just had a kid die in their arms. The calls these "kids" get called out on suck. We put kids who have no idea how bad humanity can be on the second line behind seasoned cops.

Just remember the next time you see an EMT or a FF running into some bad shit to help someone out, chances are, they are a volunteer and not getting paid for it. They are probably some kid trying to find a career and work their way up the ladder.

Last edited:
Reactions: armedequation

armedequation

Mar 1, 2019
Well said X
Im a former coastie and volunteer firefighter and my wife is an emergency dispatcher. Just wanted to say your so spot on with your post.

The vets do as well. I always try to listen when my wife dispatches. Ive definitely had to help her work through some tough calls after the fact. These people deserve all the support they can get which most of the time isnt much unfortunately

So thank you again for recognizing that

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad