OT: The Avalounge: Now Untitled!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I have a credit card story.

Last Thursday I got a letter telling me that my bank suspected my credit card might be susceptible to fraud. In order to offset this, they were cancelling my card on the 10th and sending a new one out. I got a text today, the 13th, telling me that my new card will be with me in five working days. Who the **** thinks this is an appropriate way of doing business?

Banks are the cancer of modern society. My card got broken by the cashier in the store because it's made like cheap ass junk (my card for the random loyalty programe in a shoe store is 10x sturdier), which was not her fault, and then the jokers in the bank told me I need to pay them 10$ and wait for two weeks to get another one. I told them to get on their bike and I still use this broken one. But the best part was my buddy, whose card got swallowed by the ATM by mistake and he had to pay about ~30$ for them to get there and retreive his card, and naturally they didn't tell him this is a paid service when he called the bank to report his card got swallowed by the ATM :laugh:

Reactions: McMetal

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Banks are the cancer of modern society. My card got broken by the cashier in the store because it's made like cheap ass junk (my card for the random loyalty programe in a shoe store is 10x sturdier), which was not her fault, and then the jokers in the bank told me I need to pay them 10$ and wait for two weeks to get another one. I told them to get on their bike and I still use this broken one. But the best part was my buddy, whose card got swallowed by the ATM by mistake and he had to pay about ~30$ for them to get there and retreive his card, and naturally they didn't tell him this is a paid service when he called the bank to report his card got swallowed by the ATM :laugh:

I have a credit card story.

Last Thursday I got a letter telling me that my bank suspected my credit card might be susceptible to fraud. In order to offset this, they were cancelling my card on the 10th and sending a new one out. I got a text today, the 13th, telling me that my new card will be with me in five working days. Who the **** thinks this is an appropriate way of doing business?

Wow damn. Now that I think of it, I've been denied one. It was because the bank sent me a new card of the the blue, no notice. Of course, the card comes in a totally unmarked envelope. Apparently I didn't notice it until I went to use my card again.

Oh well. I'm happy to endure the occasional crazyness when they give me $650 bucks in travel credits.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
You ever find yourself down a political/social rabbit hole conversation and 5 minutes in are like aww ****, what'd I get myself into? That was me tonight. Had a conversation with a friend who believes all white people are racist by default, can't be racist against white people, etc. That whole thing. Immediately regretted what I had gotten myself into, 2 friends got up and left and just looked at me like LOL you dun ****ed up, have fun with this one. Thankfully it wasn't too bad as I was able to transition the conversation with a few jokes into something else, but man. People really are fascinating. In a scary way sometimes.

One of the reasons I left Toronto (a minor reason, but still a reason) was it was becoming increasing difficult to avoid conversations of that sort. By now you know what I'm like on these forums, so imagine me in that situation. I got into a few of what you're talking about before I became one of those people who gets up and leaves when topics like that come up. Honestly though, if you live in the GTA I'm surprised that hasn't happened to you more often. Basically, you just need to watch for anyone who mentions race or gender a lot and try to avoid those topics with them, because the odds are they will have a very one-sided view and not be open to discussion. That's because there's not much reason to be interested in race or gender unless you have a very strong viewpoint about them.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
One of the reasons I left Toronto (a minor reason, but still a reason) was it was becoming increasing difficult to avoid conversations of that sort. By now you know what I'm like on these forums, so imagine me in that situation. I got into a few of what you're talking about before I became one of those people who gets up and leaves when topics like that come up. Honestly though, if you live in the GTA I'm surprised that hasn't happened to you more often. Basically, you just need to watch for anyone who mentions race or gender a lot and try to avoid those topics with them, because the odds are they will have a very one-sided view and not be open to discussion. That's because there's not much reason to be interested in race or gender unless you have a very strong viewpoint about them.
I don't live in the GTA, nations capital. It's not a big enough thing in my life where I have to actively avoid it lol, said friend mentions race/gender more often than most but typically we don't open that can of worms and just move on.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I don't live in the GTA, nations capital. It's not a big enough thing in my life where I have to actively avoid it lol, said friend mentions race/gender more often than most but typically we don't open that can of worms and just move on.

Oh sorry I confused you with someone else.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You ever find yourself down a political/social rabbit hole conversation and 5 minutes in are like aww ****, what'd I get myself into? That was me tonight. Had a conversation with a friend who believes all white people are racist by default, can't be racist against white people, etc. That whole thing. Immediately regretted what I had gotten myself into, 2 friends got up and left and just looked at me like LOL you dun ****ed up, have fun with this one. Thankfully it wasn't too bad as I was able to transition the conversation with a few jokes into something else, but man. People really are fascinating. In a scary way sometimes.

Happens to me every time someone brings up global warming.

Yes, the globe is warming. Yes it might be doing so quicker than the last time. Yes, humans probably play a part in it...but....

When I was a child in elementary school (mid to late 70s) I was taught about the impending doom of global cooling. We were warned that there was an ice-age coming and it would kill us all. When I was in junior high school (80s), we were taught about the doom that was just around the corner from the huge hole in the ozone layer. Somewhere between the 80s and 90s the term was changed to global warming....and somewhere in the last decade or so it was re-coined climate change.

Yes, weather is funky. Yes it is changing. I'm just not convinced I can really control it....and to be honest, if the doom-sayers are right, the only solution is the eradication of a large number of humans. Not sure I can get on board with that (unless I get to pick the criteria for who goes or stays. *LOL*)

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
When someone unprompted brings up something about politics/gender/sexuality it's often because they read/heard something and now they want to use it. Usually these discussions don't really do much since they get to spend their new 'knowledge' (quality being dependent on where they got it) in a minute and then they don't have much to say. The risk of people getting upset is also pretty high. I can imagine even more so in the US since you have such a polarized country when it comes to a lot of things.

People who are able to discuss these things in a way that is informed and fruitful for both parties know when they can bring it up (never with someone who you don't know well) and it's pretty much never at a social function with a lot of people.

In short, don't do it.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Happens to me every time someone brings up global warming.

Yes, the globe is warming. Yes it might be doing so quicker than the last time. Yes, humans probably play a part in it...but....

When I was a child in elementary school (mid to late 70s) I was taught about the impending doom of global cooling. We were warned that there was an ice-age coming and it would kill us all. When I was in junior high school (80s), we were taught about the doom that was just around the corner from the huge hole in the ozone layer. Somewhere between the 80s and 90s the term was changed to global warming....and somewhere in the last decade or so it was re-coined climate change.

Yes, weather is funky. Yes it is changing. I'm just not convinced I can really control it....and to be honest, if the doom-sayers are right, the only solution is the eradication of a large number of humans. Not sure I can get on board with that (unless I get to pick the criteria for who goes or stays. *LOL*)

Funnily enough I'm working towards employee in a related area, not so much climate change itself but more-so climate sciences.

I can definitely understand where you're coming from. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on me, fool me three times, f*** off I don't believe you. What's thrown out there by the media with click bait titles and pseudo science can and has damaged the name of it to some people.

People always say the climate has always warmed and cooled, and that's true. But it's more about the rate of warmth, which is exponentially faster than ever during any other warming period.

But it's not really the place.time to get deep into this stuff. :laugh: if you are though feel free to PM me.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Funnily enough I'm working towards employee in a related area, not so much climate change itself but more-so climate sciences.

I can definitely understand where you're coming from. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on me, fool me three times, **** off I don't believe you. What's thrown out there by the media with click bait titles and pseudo science can and has damaged the name of it to some people.

People always say the climate has always warmed and cooled, and that's true. But it's more about the rate of warmth, which is exponentially faster than ever during any other warming period.

But it's not really the place.time to get deep into this stuff. :laugh: if you are though feel free to PM me.
I know one of my friend's brother was researching this, but what sounds really interesting is climatology of other planets. He got an intern position at NASA in this field of atmospheric scientist (I believe that's what it's called) and because it's a governmental job he's making like 30 bucks an hour as an intern.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I know one of my friend's brother was researching this, but what sounds really interesting is climatology of other planets. He got an intern position at NASA in this field of atmospheric scientist (I believe that's what it's called) and because it's a governmental job he's making like 30 bucks an hour as an intern.
Yeah it's a really interesting field for sure. One that most people don't even think of but is pretty applicable to a lot of things.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If I die, know it was from the sick people sitting next to me on this flight to SF.

Edit: Now the people behind me are coughing. I need a bubble please. Just dip me in purrell and call it quits.

Edit2: This will be the first test of my new travel routine I guess. Vitamin C, Zinc and other stuff. Save me voodoo supplements.

Last Edit: Sitting here with half my head inside my shirt trying to survive the next 6 hours in the air. The fight attendent laughed, I think we've bonded in an indirect way.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Man f*** debt collection companies.

My roommate and I forgot sent in a hard copy that we weren’t renewing our lease at our apartment a couple weeks late. And ended up having to pay that amount to or apartment. Well we ended up paying it last month and this stupid collection company keeps harassing us for money we’ve already paid back. Stupid.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Been working this new job for 2.5 weeks now and already going to be traveling away for the 2nd time for work. Probably my favorite aspect of this job so far.

As a person who has traveled for over 6-7 years for their job... it gets old over time. Enjoy it while you can!

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
As a person who has traveled for over 6-7 years for their job... it gets old over time. Enjoy it while you can!

Yeah I don't imagine it being nearly as fun in 5 or 6 years but while I'm still in my mid 20s I'm pretty much gonna jump at every opportunity.

This one isn't gonna be nearly as exciting of a trip as I'm going to a smaller community. But still somewhere I haven't spent significant time at before so looking forward to checking out the new area.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
So I was looking for movies and ended up on this site that had an article titled "The actress who plays 'the Nun' is actually gorgeous in real life". Hey, no she isn't. What do you mean, she doesn't look exactly like the Nun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad