OT: The Avalounge: Mmm... Steamed Yams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
Excellent addition. I was going to cue up Illegal Weapon 2.0 since wedding season just passed but I don't know if they're ready for it.

Didnt go to a wedding this entire year :(

Things better improve in 2 years for my wedding. Not doing a 50 person punjabi wedding, no thanks.

Reactions: Avs_19

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Didnt go to a wedding this entire year :(

Things better improve in 2 years for my wedding. Not doing a 50 person punjabi wedding, no thanks.
Yeah, and what if you put on the garb and look f***ing fierce, and chokeslam a relative out of habit?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Trying to do the right thing here lol.

You'd probably have better luck than me! My wife is a southerner, and lived in Florida on the beach for a good chunk of her life. Detroit is the embodiment of hell to her. :laugh:

There are a number of really nice areas, but like you said, the recovery there is going to take so long and is going to be fragile for a long time it makes it hard to predict.

I am seriously torn between buying a condo in Downtown Detroit, or buying something up north on a lake or a river. Both are within striking range for even a middle class family if you manage it right as a vacation rental. There really isn't many places in the US where that is still the case. They just hit you so damn hard on property taxes for a second home. In Seattle my house went from like 3500/yr to just over 4k. In the Ann Arbor area my property taxes went from 6k to 8k. And you can probably guess the price difference between a house in Seattle, and a house anywhere in Michigan lol.

Speaking of, if your wife is from Florida you should try to convince her on Tampa. You could still get a house on the water for under 300k when I was there, and there is a few of the Tampa suburbs that haven't peaked yet I believe. Gulf Port, and St Pete near by is still cheap. Tampa isn't as hot, and rarely gets hit directly by the Hurricanes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Trying to do the right thing here lol.

I am seriously torn between buying a condo in Downtown Detroit, or buying something up north on a lake or a river. Both are within striking range for even a middle class family if you manage it right as a vacation rental. There really isn't many places in the US where that is still the case. They just hit you so damn hard on property taxes for a second home. In Seattle my house went from like 3500/yr to just over 4k. In the Ann Arbor area my property taxes went from 6k to 8k. And you can probably guess the price difference between a house in Seattle, and a house anywhere in Michigan lol.

I don't know northern Michigan all that well, but the property tax structure in the whole rust belt is insane to me. I'm not sure how they can get away with it like they do and still have people paying it. But I'm a simpleton who is used to 1300 a year. :laugh:

The market that really seems untapped to me is North Carolina. Yeah there are some areas that are booming and absurd (looking at you Asheville), but there are so many great areas in that state that are cheap and the taxes are pretty low.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't know northern Michigan all that well, but the property tax structure in the whole rust belt is insane to me. I'm not sure how they can get away with it like they do and still have people paying it. But I'm a simpleton who is used to 1300 a year. :laugh:

The market that really seems untapped to me is North Carolina. Yeah there are some areas that are booming and absurd (looking at you Asheville), but there are so many great areas in that state that are cheap and the taxes are pretty low.

If there was an area near the coast I would definitely. NC is just horrid in the Summer where I was, although that was Bragg/Fayetteville.

Northwestern Michigan is still really cheap, and has a lot to do within a short distance, and has Grand Rapids close. You can be on the lake (small or big), in the city, or on the dunes all pretty much within 45 minutes of each other.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If there was an area near the coast I would definitely. NC is just horrid in the Summer where I was, although that was Bragg/Fayetteville.

Northwestern Michigan is still really cheap, and has a lot to do within a short distance, and has Grand Rapids close. You can be on the lake (small or big), in the city, or on the dunes all pretty much within 45 minutes of each other.

Fayettenam! Got a buddy from there, and that place is horrible. Makes Myrtle Beach look nice. I prefer that Appalachians myself as more of a mountain folk, but north eastern NC near the beach is super nice. I just don't want to be on the outer banks as the ocean keeps rising!

I've been to Grand Rapids a few times, pretty cool town. I may have to explore that area more...

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Fayettenam! Got a buddy from there, and that place is horrible. Makes Myrtle Beach look nice. I prefer that Appalachians myself as more of a mountain folk, but north eastern NC near the beach is super nice. I just don't want to be on the outer banks as the ocean keeps rising!

I've been to Grand Rapids a few times, pretty cool town. I may have to explore that area more...

North of Grand Rapids you have the Muskegon/Newaygo area, and three rivers that have something running (Salmon/Steelhead) all year, or West ish you have Silver Lake dunes. Then obviously the Great lakes for cruises, port towns, and other types of fishing. I'm not much of a hunter, but that's all in there as well.

I've found acreage and varying levels of houses along the Muskegon near Newaygo for under 150k. I wouldn't buy in the middle of nowhere because I need internet lol.

I give Michigan a lot of credit, other than down river off of the Detroit river it rarely floods, and we don't get natural disasters outside of the very rare tornado, but I think that is mostly southern due to the flat farming topography. It has proven to be an underrated state. I was livid about leaving Washington for good, for a long while.

Reactions: henchman21

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
upload_2020-10-8_13-12-11.png

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Anyone have any recommendations for good and cheap-ish wireless earbuds? I need new ones that'll mostly just be used while working out and I'm not spending anywhere near $200 on them. This pair is pretty cheap right now and has good reviews:

https://www.amazon.ca/ENACFIRE-Bluetooth-Headphones-Cancellation-Waterproof/dp/B07YDKKMXC/

Has anyone used those or other Enacfire products before?

I have used Samsung Gear IconX, and today I think they're called Galaxy Buds. Music quality and battery is not the best, but it features onboard storage for music, about 4GB, which a few years ago was rare. So you can go workout without having a phone nearby or in a pocket, just listen to music in the earbuds.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I have used Samsung Gear IconX, and today I think they're called Galaxy Buds. Music quality and battery is not the best, but it features onboard storage for music, about 4GB, which a few years ago was rare. So you can go workout without having a phone nearby or in a pocket, just listen to music in the earbuds.

Thanks. Looking for something cheaper than that though because I expect wear and tear and they're really only for working out. I have a pair of wired Beats that I can use for everything else.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
North of Grand Rapids you have the Muskegon/Newaygo area, and three rivers that have something running (Salmon/Steelhead) all year, or West ish you have Silver Lake dunes. Then obviously the Great lakes for cruises, port towns, and other types of fishing. I'm not much of a hunter, but that's all in there as well.

I've found acreage and varying levels of houses along the Muskegon near Newaygo for under 150k. I wouldn't buy in the middle of nowhere because I need internet lol.

I give Michigan a lot of credit, other than down river off of the Detroit river it rarely floods, and we don't get natural disasters outside of the very rare tornado, but I think that is mostly southern due to the flat farming topography. It has proven to be an underrated state. I was livid about leaving Washington for good, for a long while.
Muskegon Area is nice if you’re not in Muskegon. Spring Lake , Norton Shores, Ferrysburg.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Yeah I haven't had any reason to go into the actual town. We launch near Newaygo.

Is it not great?
There’s some nice places in Muskegon and outside of it but there’s a lot of areas that are just not the greatest of places. Muskegon Heights in particular is just not safe. "Muskegon also struggles with crime. There were over 6,000 property crimes reported in the city for every 100,000 people in 2017, the most of any city in Michigan. Additionally, the city's violent crime rate of 1,808 incidents per 100,000 people is higher than over 90 percent of all U.S. cities." My old high school was playing a playoff game awhile back at Muskegon High on a Halloween night and I’ve never felt more un safe cars were broken into just down the block from the stadium. Outside of the city there’s definitely some nice areas though like the ones I mentioned.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This dumb person at work plays a pop-playlist everyday I am there and this song eventually comes on and stays in my mind the entire day. That stupid chorus in particular.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I love Camila Cabello.

I'm a little confused that you @S E P H would consider this a stupid chorus, and then you post the equivalent of a K-Pop song on the regular.

Reactions: UncleRisto
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad