OT: The Avalounge: Mmm... Steamed Yams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Do you believe in the color red? Do you believe in gravity? Do you believe that water boils at 100°C?

Science is not a belief, it's a language to explain how nature works. You cannot cherry pick scientific facts.
Ironic that you'd say "you cannot cherry pick" and yet that is literally all you've done with my post by taking this slight bit out to reply to.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ironic that you'd say "you cannot cherry pick" and yet that is literally all you've done with my post by taking this slight bit out to reply to.

The fact that I can cherry pick your post doesn't mean that you can cherry pick science.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
giphy.gif

Reactions: Avsboy

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is the thing. Natural science and theology can coincide because they aren't even nearly adjacent, as religion is a cultural phenomenon. I'm Christian and I'm aware of the cultural artifacts Christianity has produced. Personally, this has no bearing on my worldview outside of "this is my interpretation of this cultural information". This is why religious theory and scientific theory can coincide and two scientific theories on the same matter cannot.

Yeah but on subjects like evolution or the creation of earth or certain timelines of events, science and many religions can't really coincide unless one side ignores some of the key principles of each argument.

It can coincide but only if one side creates their own personal belief system that includes parts of each, and discounts other parts. Like it sounds like you may have?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Science does not require you to personally understand it in order to be true. I don't understand quantum mechanics. I have tried, I've had it explained to me like I'm five by some very smart people who got degrees in it, but I only get the very fuzzy basics of it. Nonetheless, I accept that smarter people than me have worked on it and yes, electrons can be in multiple places at once in a probability field. My lack of understanding doesn't make it not true. That's how science works, it isn't subject to anyone's personal opinion.

You can always try again?

"If you ask where is the position of the electron, it's not an either...like if you would ask where is the position of the electron. There's no such thing as the position of the electron. If you look at the electron, you will see it in a position, but that is not the fundamental essence of the electron."

"If you have an electron in an atom, we have a mathematical way of describing it. And it's a cloud. It's not located anywhere."

"It's a smooth cloud that is everywhere inside the atom. And that cloud is the answer to the question, were I to look for the electron, where would I most likely see it? And so the leap that is very very hard to make, is what the electron truly is, is that cloud."

Electrons as waves:

Double Slit Experiment:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
You can always try again?

"If you ask where is the position of the electron, it's not an either...like if you would ask where is the position of the electron. There's no such thing as the position of the electron. If you look at the electron, you will see it in a position, but that is not the fundamental essence of the electron."

"If you have an electron in an atom, we have a mathematical way of describing it. And it's a cloud. It's not located anywhere."

"It's a smooth cloud that is everywhere inside the atom. And that cloud is the answer to the question, were I to look for the electron, where would I most likely see it? And so the leap that is very very hard to make, is what the electron truly is, is that cloud."

Electrons as waves:

Double Slit Experiment:

I pretty much get that, but the how and why of how they know that escapes me entirely. The double slit experiment still breaks my brain almost 15 years after I first learned about it. It's fascinating stuff, but it goes over my head once you get past the bare basics of WTF is going on.

I've always been more of a humanities guy, I'm more at home with a history book than a mathematical proof, but it's interesting to me and I do my best to get educated on it as much as my mind is capable. Evolutionary biology is actually my strongest suit, given that it really just boils down to "history before people". Understanding the relationships between living things, both contemporary and ancient, isn't really all that different from studying human history and the relationships between different events.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I pretty much get that, but the how and why of how they know that escapes me entirely. The double slit experiment still breaks my brain almost 15 years after I first learned about it. It's fascinating stuff, but it goes over my head once you get past the bare basics of WTF is going on.

I've always been more of a humanities guy, I'm more at home with a history book than a mathematical proof, but it's interesting to me and I do my best to get educated on it as much as my mind is capable. Evolutionary biology is actually my strongest suit, given that it really just boils down to "history before people". Understanding the relationships between living things, both contemporary and ancient, isn't really all that different from studying human history and the relationships between different events.

No real wrong choices there. It's all good stuff. The more we learn the more we can optimize ourselves as human beings. Both individually and as a species.

If one path is more interesting and inviting to you, then that's the path you'll get the furthest on, and likely learn the most from taking.

Learning about other subjects can help you learn more from your favorite one too though, because it gets your brain working a little different than you're used to. Helps you see things that maybe you overlooked in subjects you know a lot about.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I legit can't believe what I'm reading here lol Christ.
:sarcasm:
Yeah but on subjects like evolution or the creation of earth or certain timelines of events, science and many religions can't really coincide unless one side ignores some of the key principles of each argument.

It can coincide but only if one side creates their own personal belief system that includes parts of each, and discounts other parts. Like it sounds like you may have?
Oh, don't get me wrong, I ignore religion completely, as it pertains to my "belief system".

Still, the religions exist and I'm able to interpret the literature as the literature it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foppberg and PAZ

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I legit can't believe what I'm reading here lol Christ.

When we are so bored that we are talking about atoms you can pretty much bank on the fact the end of the world is upon us. All you can do at this point is hope you’ve got enough liquor and toilet paper stocked up to maybe make it through to the other side. Godspeed to you my friend.

Reactions: Foppberg

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
When we are so bored that we are talking about atoms you can pretty much bank on the fact the end of the world is upon us. All you can do at this point is hope you’ve got enough liquor and toilet paper stocked up to maybe make it through to the other side. Godspeed to you my friend.

I spilled water on myself while reading your comment, completely unrelated but thought you should know.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So do I have this right, it's not because you thought it was funny and laughed, it was just coincidental?
It could be both. The cause of laughter, much like an electron's position within an atom, has nothing to do with the circumstances you see around the laughter. It's all in laugher's mind, like a big laughing cloud not connected to or attached to any one specific location or event.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Hey gang,

Is anyone here familiar with YouTube upload rules surrounding video and music?

I’m making an Avs playoff hype video and was thinking about uploading it to YouTube.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Hey gang,

Is anyone here familiar with YouTube upload rules surrounding video and music?

I’m making an Avs playoff hype video and was thinking about uploading it to YouTube.
I don’t know much, but I think there’s only an issue if you are getting monetization from YouTube videos. So I think you’d be fine unless you can make money off the video.

But I could also be way off base here.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
5efb57f7b5dcf.jpg

I work in education (administrator for a University). It astounds me that roughly half-way through March we were sent home to work remotely and our University joined many others in transitioning to online, yet there's a renewed push to get all of us back in-person in August. I'm sure some won't agree with my opinion, and that's fine. I recognize that there really isn't an easy answer here. But our confirmed cases are spiking. We're already higher than what we believed was our peak back in April.

And I know that it's not easy on kids, I have a 7 year old stepdaughter and this hasn't been easy for her at all. She misses her friends, she misses her teacher, but I think the alternative--potentially catching a deadly virus and spreading it--is worse. I'm very uncomfortable going back into a profession where I could catch this thing and either die or have longterm side-effects.

That's pretty much all I have to say. I wish the US had better leadership in handling this. It saddens me that other countries were able to get a handle on this but we can't/couldn't because too many people believe this is a hoax or whatnot.

Reactions: McMetal

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
5efb57f7b5dcf.jpg

I work in education (administrator for a University). It astounds me that roughly half-way through March we were sent home to work remotely and our University joined many others in transitioning to online, yet there's a renewed push to get all of us back in-person in August. I'm sure some won't agree with my opinion, and that's fine. I recognize that there really isn't an easy answer here. But our confirmed cases are spiking. We're already higher than what we believed was our peak back in April.

And I know that it's not easy on kids, I have a 7 year old stepdaughter and this hasn't been easy for her at all. She misses her friends, she misses her teacher, but I think the alternative--potentially catching a deadly virus and spreading it--is worse. I'm very uncomfortable going back into a profession where I could catch this thing and either die or have longterm side-effects.

That's pretty much all I have to say. I wish the US had better leadership in handling this. It saddens me that other countries were able to get a handle on this but we can't/couldn't because too many people believe this is a hoax or whatnot.
I think there was no issue in opening up the country when we did. The issue is that some states just did it with no restrictions and people thought the pandemic was over and here we are back to sitting in our houses.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I think there was no issue in opening up the country when we did. The issue is that some states just did it with no restrictions and people thought the pandemic was over and here we are back to sitting in our houses.

I think inherently I would agree. The bigger mistake was how places reopened. I mean it’s all a clusterf***. With the whole theory that the virus subsides in a warm climate sort of having holes poked in it (due to our surge in places like FL, TX, AZ, and even here in KS), it makes me wonder how bad a potential second wave could be if we never really left our first wave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->