Jul 7, 2012
Finland
spankie_no-homers_zps9495f015.jpg

What about Homer Glumplich?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I won the thread, but felt like I hardly posted in it. I'll make sure this thread is the best thread. A glorious thread, that is the envy of all the other threads. I'll make sure thread is always put first. #MakeAvaloungeGreatAgain

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I won the thread, but felt like I hardly posted in it. I'll make sure this thread is the best thread. A glorious thread, that is the envy of all the other threads. I'll make sure thread is always put first. #MakeAvaloungeGreatAgain

I think I haven't seen an Avalounge thread in a while that you didn't win :laugh:

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
#MakeAvaloungeGreatAgain is good **** :laugh:

I can't remember who asked me if I had seen Scrapple before but I checked it out. Damn good stuff. I can see why it's a cult classic in this area of the world.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
#MakeAvaloungeGreatAgain is good **** :laugh:

I can't remember who asked me if I had seen Scrapple before but I checked it out. Damn good stuff. I can see why it's a cult classic in this area of the world.

Yeah I thought you'd get a kick out of it. Was filmed in Telluride and the small towns around it. Pretty fun movie if you've lived around there or have a lot of contact with older ski town culture. A lot of the actors were locals and some are still living in the area, or at least still were when I was up there. The old Aussie/Kiwi guy still worked at the Cornerhouse grill. It was kind of fun.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Go really, really light on the fish sauce if you choose to go that route. If you live by a korean market, I can provide you with translations/advice for stuff you may want to get there.

Pretty much nailed the soup. Of course not by Korean standards but by snow white standards it was a good chicken noodle soup.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Pretty much nailed the soup. Of course not by Korean standards but by snow white standards it was a good chicken noodle soup.

I agree with JB, go light on the fish sauce, it is potent in sodium with the anchovies. A lot of Asian sauces are so definitely watch out for that in the future. What I learned from my Mom is that mushrooms is another highly valuable vegetable in creating flavour. I personally dislike the texture of mushrooms, but I use it in a lot of sauces and soups to get the flavour (I just cut them in big chunks to remove them).

If Finland is a lot like the time I went to Italy, there are local butcher shops around town. If you're passing by one, go in and ask for pork bones, I guarantee that they should have a bag of bones you can buy for cheap. JB is 100% accurate on the Ox tails, but it should be more expensive as there are dishes which use Ox tail.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I agree with JB, go light on the fish sauce, it is potent in sodium with the anchovies. A lot of Asian sauces are so definitely watch out for that in the future. What I learned from my Mom is that mushrooms is another highly valuable vegetable in creating flavour. I personally dislike the texture of mushrooms, but I use it in a lot of sauces and soups to get the flavour (I just cut them in big chunks to remove them).

No news there. Much like soy sauce it's unbelievably salty. Gotta be careful with that.

Mushrooms work for me. I've been meaning to use them more anyway but I rarely end up buying them.

If Finland is a lot like the time I went to Italy, there are local butcher shops around town. If you're passing by one, go in and ask for pork bones, I guarantee that they should have a bag of bones you can buy for cheap. JB is 100% accurate on the Ox tails, but it should be more expensive as there are dishes which use Ox tail.

Not at all. Absolutely zero butcher shops. There might be one in the old market hall but meat counters are exclusively in supermarkets.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Not at all. Absolutely zero butcher shops. There might be one in the old market hall but meat counters are exclusively in supermarkets.

Wow this is actually true when I think of it. When I lived in Kouvola there used to be butcher shops a few years ago, but they're out of business or in old market halls. Haven't seen a butcher shop during my five years in Jyväskylä.

Should try to find one. Luckily I have some moose meat from my stepdad and some mushrooms in the fridge :yo:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Wow this is actually true when I think of it. When I lived in Kouvola there used to be butcher shops a few years ago, but they're out of business or in old market halls. Haven't seen a butcher shop during my five years in Jyväskylä.

Should try to find one. Luckily I have some moose meat from my stepdad and some mushrooms in the fridge :yo:

Yeah. I recently got some cheap roast beef from Stockmann's butcher. And now that place will go under too.

At least the beef is still waiting in the freezer.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Granted that Finland is quite far away from Italy in Central European standards, but surprised that there isn't some of that though in Finland. I think Poland is becoming the same way, as it is turning more into corporate in the big cities than keeping the family ran locations. The smaller cities should though preserve that type of uniqueness. However, I spent around two months in Italy because my of relatives live there, and every big city had local shops (taking about Milan, Rome, Florence, Tuscany). There were no such thing as supermarkets or big entities besides pharmaceutical companies.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Granted that Finland is quite far away from Italy in Central European standards, but surprised that there isn't some of that though in Finland. I think Poland is becoming the same way, as it is turning more into corporate in the big cities than keeping the family ran locations. The smaller cities should though preserve that type of uniqueness. However, I spent around two months in Italy because my of relatives live there, and every big city had local shops (taking about Milan, Rome, Florence, Tuscany). There were no such thing as supermarkets or big entities besides pharmaceutical companies.

Local shops are close to dead in Finland. Pretty much every field of business. Well, not completely dead, but supermarkets 5km from the city center are where people mostly buy their foods from. And of course the big chains are killing the small businesses which is not unnatural and not only our "problem". Now as a business student, I'm not against the free market, the change and big chains at all, but customization is dying when it comes to everyday products.

And we Finns aren't just laid back people who enjoy going to butcher shops and cook a meal for three hours and eat it with family for two hours like Italian people. We want our frozen pizza done in 15 minutes so we can continue with our busy lives.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
are there any ski areas that aren't crazy overpriced near Denver?

I wanted to take my lady up to the mtns for valentines but wow - Any place wants like $300+ a night.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Anybody seen La La land? I know someone was talking about it a couple of weeks back. My mom wants to go and I would normally go because it's a Best Picture nom, but I'm not sure I can take in a musical. Then I have been told it's not that big of a musical. I'm torn.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Anybody seen La La land? I know someone was talking about it a couple of weeks back. My mom wants to go and I would normally go because it's a Best Picture nom, but I'm not sure I can take in a musical. Then I have been told it's not that big of a musical. I'm torn.

Hmm...how to describe it...

I did see it and I'm not much of a musical person myself, but I thoroughly enjoyed it (and I feel it's going to get backlash from people just because it got as many Oscar nominations as it did...)

There's elements of a musical in it, yes, but I didn't perceive it like I did other, more "traditional musicals". That being said, the movie starts out with a big musical number, so don't let that throw you.

I'd highly recommend going to see it, I thought it was a really terrific movie, and I am eagerly anticipating owning it on 4K Blu Ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->