OT: The Avalounge: No Homers Club

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
So I don't know if you guys have noticed something like this but since I'm a human in the world, I consume a lot of American based internet content. And what I've noticed is, I feel like different medias talk about going to therapy a lot lately. Memes/joke tweets will have punch lines about "my therapist:" or "now I have to get a new therapist", and podcasts will mention things like "the first time I went to therapy" or "how many different therapists have you had".

Is everyone in America/LA in therapy? Because I get that being "vocal about mental health" is great, but how come going to therapy seems to be becoming some kind of a norm? Is this a Hollywood thing? Because aren't healthy people still not supposed to need psychotherapy?

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers regarding mental health, but I feel like this has become a concerning trend to someone on the outside, even.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
So I don't know if you guys have noticed something like this but since I'm a human in the world, I consume a lot of American based internet content. And what I've noticed is, I feel like different medias talk about going to therapy a lot lately. Memes/joke tweets will have punch lines about "my therapist:" or "now I have to get a new therapist", and podcasts will mention things like "the first time I went to therapy" or "how many different therapists have you had".

Is everyone in America/LA in therapy? Because I get that being "vocal about mental health" is great, but how come going to therapy seems to be becoming some kind of a norm? Is this a Hollywood thing? Because aren't healthy people still not supposed to need psychotherapy?

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers regarding mental health, but I feel like this has become a concerning trend to someone on the outside, even.
I don't know how much you want to know or how much you want me to share, but I'm an open book about this type of thing. Let's just say I have a lot of experience with going to therapy, and even though I have gotten over the mental illnesses that caused me a lot of pain and hardship before, I still go. It has a lot less to do with "fixing" oneself than "bettering" oneself, in my experience. Apart from the monetary cost, I really feel that only good can come from learning to express oneself better, learning to love oneself better, and learning to communicate better with other people, and that's what a lot of therapy has been for me after I got past the more debilitating issues I had previously.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't know how much you want to know or how much you want me to share, but I'm an open book about this type of thing. Let's just say I have a lot of experience with going to therapy, and even though I have gotten over the mental illnesses that caused me a lot of pain and hardship before, I still go. It has a lot less to do with "fixing" oneself than "bettering" oneself, in my experience. Apart from the monetary cost, I really feel that only good can come from learning to express oneself better, learning to love oneself better, and learning to communicate better with other people, and that's what a lot of therapy has been for me after I got past the more debilitating issues I had previously.
To me it sounds like a cultural (or maybe this is just in my bubble) disconnect between psychotherapy as a medical treatment vs a consumer wellness product.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
To me it sounds like a cultural (or maybe this is just in my bubble) disconnect between psychotherapy as a medical treatment vs a consumer wellness product.
I can see that being the case. In countries where mental health isn't as openly discussed, the idea of someone going to see a therapist holds the stigma of that person being "not right." I know I personally held that belief before I started going to therapy.

Tying this back to your original post on the subject, I think a lot of the stress of the modern American work life causes a lot of anxiety and depression. Couple that with social issues, family issues, relationship problems, and that's a recipe for a mentally unhealthy person. Instead of turning to substance abuse or ignoring the problems, I think a larger contingent of people are seeking help for their problems because they may or may not have friends or family who have similar issues but handled them in a more harmful manner, and they do not want to follow that example.

This is all conjecture and speculation on my part, but I think the cultural differences have a lot to do with how people from countries outside of the U.S. perceive the mental health treatments provided by therapists. That, coupled with the fact that more and more people in the U.S. are becoming open to the idea that seeing a therapist is perfectly normal, I totally understand how it might look to a non-U.S. citizen.

I promise you that we don't all see therapists because we're crazy. Or at least that's what my therapist tells me.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
We're all f***ed up, I don't think people going to therapy labels them as ill or sick. Unless they have a legit condition like bipolar disorder or something.

Reactions: MarkT

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Still better than Arch Enemy.

Those guys are hot and they produce awesome music. You post like Justin Beiber is the only artists on your iPod.

It's all good, bro.

Aoh.gif

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't get it, is that someone who died in a car crash eight years ago?
Paul Walker made terrible music.

It's all good, bro.

Aoh.gif
Lol, nice comeback, 9/10.

So for the ladies and gentlemen here I need some girl advice from you lot, I've been texting this girl the last couple of weeks and thus far it hasn't been too bad. She's actually texted me what my age was, what I want to do, and all those important questions straight up (hopefully) signalling that she is somewhat interested (my guess, might be completely wrong). However, I must admit that lately she hasn't been texting me often and I seem to be the one initiating the conversation more. She seems like she's really busy which is fine, but anyways I asked her to lunch and she said "sure, if I am not busy". Nonetheless, when I was trying to set things up she said she got sick the day before, but she also said "maybe we can hangout next weekend?". Now I don't know if I should take that as a flaky response because I am not getting optimistic vibes.

What are you guys' thoughts concerning this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad