The Avalanche are what the Leafs and Oilers were supposed to become

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Because Mackinnon is the best player in the league beside McDavid. While he can complimented by very good players he’s capable of doing it all by himself and that doesn’t change during the playoffs because he’s more physical and stronger than Mcdavid is at this point. I’m sure 97 is watching.

possibly most importantly he’s a much better shooter from a distance.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Because Mackinnon is the best player in the league beside McDavid. While he can complimented by very good players he’s capable of doing it all by himself and that doesn’t change during the playoffs because he’s more physical and stronger than Mcdavid is at this point. I’m sure 97 is watching.

Well yes, but depth also matters a ton. The Toews acquisition was a huge coup, yes, but the additions of Donskoi, Burakovsky, and Saad at good prices also play a role here. Again, though, the Avs shouldn't over-celebrate. Yes, they looked incredible two nights ago. The Knights are the kind of club that can put it back together and win the next few if the Avs slack off, however.

Reactions: Mordoch

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The Avs top line is built for the playoffs. MacKinnon is the small one. Rantanen is the soft one. Our best players are less affected when the refs quit calling penalties.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
The Avs had a few false starts as a franchise the last several years; remember when thy were supposed to start contending for years to come under Roy? When they failed and took a step back, they drafted very well and took a different approach. The organization from the core players up through the front office learned from their mistakes and got better. They also have not given out a truly dumb contract, which the Oilers and Leafs can't say.

Also, don't the Avs have one of the biggest advanced stats departments as of a couple of years ago?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The Avs top line is built for the playoffs. MacKinnon is the small one. Rantanen is the soft one. Our best players are less affected when the refs quit calling penalties.

True. During regular season there's not that much separating Rants and MacK from Matthews and Marner. Although, I think MacK is the best of the bunch, making the Avs duo better. But come playoff time, it's just so much harder to shut down those two compared to Leafs duo. Rantanen compared to Marner is a toughguy enforcer. MacKinnon is just a freak of nature, almost as powerful as ovechkin.

Reactions: tucker3434

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Of the 3, Rantanen plays the softest game. He isn’t soft at all, and that my point.

Rantanen mucks it up in the dirty areas far more than MacKinnon does, but that’s in part because of the position he plays. It’s just kind of a weird way to describe it, but I get what you’re saying.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
All you have to do is look at Mackinnon's playoff stats. The best forwards for the Avs are just built and modeled around high skill and intensity. Leafs don't have anyone like Landeskog or Mack.

Mackinnon has killer instinct and the extra gear that so many elite players lack in the playoffs.

Makar is lightyears ahead of anything the Leafs have defensively, but their problem vs the Habs was the best players got shutdown because they don't have the intensity or drive to create chances they'd normally get in the regular season.

Not trying to slight Makar because he's MVP level play, but the Avs are just better across the board, and it's not close

If they had a legitimately elite dman, it changes a lot. MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Landeskog had their issues prior to Makar’s rise as well.

Reactions: BlueOil
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Some posters have mentioned it already, but the Avs team is part really good luck, and part smart acquisitions. When Roy was here, he had his own vision for the team and there were moves made that did not blend well with what they already had. There seemed to be a focus on big and strong, getting guys like Brad Stuart, Jarome Iginla and Francois Beauchemin. Roy wanted more moves and more power, but when he didn’t get his way he rage quit and left the Avs a bit of a mess as they were part his image and part Sakic’s.

This leads directly into the losing year, a historically bad season followed by losing in the lottery draft as well. However, that season turns out to be a gift in disguise. Duchene demands out, meanwhile some of the Avs other pieces re-affirm their desire to turn the Avs around (I think this was huge for team culture), and they end up getting Makar.

Once Sakic was the sole decision maker you can see his vision for the team starting to take shape. They start acquiring mobile defensemen that can move the puck, they acquire forwards with good possession advanced stats. The team has even started to draft with that vision in mind.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
That changes this off season and then again in another year. That number will be significantly higher in a short period of time. The Avs were extremely fortunate that Mack signed that deal when he was on the precipice of being a bust.
He was never on the precipice of being a bust.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
What happened? Why did one core excel where the others are flailing?

Lucky in draft, luck in trades. Although I think Joe became better trader after sloppy start.

We got lucky with Makar. (Dropping in draft). Girard turned out jackpot. So many things planned out, it's almost unreal.

Islanders cap trouble landed us Toews.

We've been very lucky.

Keep in mind though, we struggled over ten years to get here.

I would also point out, that Colorado hasn't won anything yet. We need to win something first before we are better than Edmonton and Toronto. This season we have a chance. It's all potential right now. We need results.

Reactions: jabubenice

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Oilers and Leafs have a ‘star-dependent’ mentality. They look to their couple superstar top forwards to drag them through the season and playoffs. It builds a pyramid-shaped team where players know their role and lock into it, even if subconsciously. When stars get shutdown (as happens like clockwork nearly every playoffs) there’s nobody to step up- they are trained not to.

Reactions: I am toxic

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
MacKinnon already came out and said he would be willing to sign another team friendly contract

Yeah but a team friendly contract for a top 3 player in the league is still likely a $10 million AAV contract.

You add in Ladescog and Makar's deals and the numbers add up quickly.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
The difference is that the Avs are built from the defense out. Remember they had Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Stastny, and ROR at same time. Those teams went nowhere. If the last decade has taught me anything, just teaming up a bunch of star forwards doesn't mean much, you have to start from the back.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Nathan Mackinnon signing a long term deal before his breakthrough season was huge for them

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015
Besides the great team Sakic constructed (he literally acquired a whole 2nd line 2 offseason ago) the biggest strength for this team is coaching.

Bednar is a great coach for this team. They're the best defensive team in hockey and they didn't sacrifice offense to do it. He should be the Jack Adams favourite in my opinion. Even with injuries to key players, the Avs keep on rolling over competition. There had to be 10 different defensemen play for the Avs this year and they all seem to fit seamlessly. Jacob MacDonald was a career AHLer and stepped in and played like a legit middle pairing guy and I don't think that's a coincidence.

I love what he and Pratt do with the defensive pairings as well. Every guy on the blue line ends up paired with Makar, Toews or Girard at some point during the game and it makes it so every guy is comfortable playing with whoever. Not to mention it instantly makes any pairing a top 4 worthy one.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
What happened? Why did one core excel where the others are flailing?
Three core pieces for the Avs came from trades. (Girard, Toews, Grubs)

Best defenseman is on an ELC still. Top 2 center in the world. Good Captain that sticks up for his team. Plus depth.

Not rocket science.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Avalanche have better taken advantage of their star players being cheap.

Landeskog and Makar this offseason, Mackinnon in a couple years. They'll obviously still be really good, but probably not nearly as deep as they are now.

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015
Avalanche have better taken advantage of their star players being cheap.

Landeskog and Makar this offseason, Mackinnon in a couple years. They'll obviously still be really good, but probably not nearly as deep as they are now.

While that's defenitely possible, the key here is Sakic hasn't traded first Rd picks to bolster his current depth. Leaving room for good players on elcs to continue to make the team and hopefully extend the window. The key is making sure they draft well in the first of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad