The Atlantic Division; Who's Facing Off in Round 1?

PICK TWO: Who makes the playoffs in the Atlantic?

• Total voters

Fern111

Dec 20, 2015
With the current state of the Eastern conference, it seems very possible that the Metropolitan division will have both wildcards for the playoffs.

With Boston way out ahead and Detroit way behind, it leaves 6 teams in a weird mix with 8 points seperating 2nd and 7th in the division.
The Panthers and Sabres are currently in a playoff spot but Tampa Bay and Toronto were favored by many, although both teams have faced disappointing starts.

Question is simple, which two teams do you see facing off in the first round of the playoffs if we assume Boston remains in 1st until the end of the season. (I know it's not a guarantee but just for FUN, let's pretend like they do!)

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Tampa and Toronto are still the best teams. Even with all their struggles they're still just right behind the Panthers and Sabres.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If Tampa wins their 2 games in hand - they are 9 points back of Boston with 50 games to go.

It's waaaay too soon to award Boston the division. Tampa will make a race of it before it's done.

Reactions: wintersej

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Toronto the best by FAR. Not even close. Why is this a question. Florida is the other team but only because of a hunch that I feel.

Toronto is easily the best team.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If Tampa wins their 2 games in hand - they are 9 points back of Boston with 50 games to go.

It's waaaay too soon to award Boston the division. Tampa will make a race of it before it's done.

Totally agree. This smells like the "who will finish 3rd in the Atlantic" polls up the last couple years without Toronto as an option because they were so securely top 2...at the time.

Boston is far from having the division clinched.

Reactions: Snippit

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Tampa - Toronto and it will be a playoff series for the ages.

...well, since last year at least.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Totally agree. This smells like the "who will finish 3rd in the Atlantic" polls up the last couple years without Toronto as an option because they were so securely top 2...at the time.

Boston is far from having the division clinched.

Haha that was legendary

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Tampa and Florida are the favorites for me.

Tampa is just too good to struggle for much longer. I believe they will go on a good run soon enough.

Florida I think is for real this year. Probably not as a threat to go all the way, but I do believe they'll make the playoffs. They are having a really good season so far, with some of the worst goaltending in the league. Bob is too good to continue being so bad.. he's seen a spike in performance recently, and considering his history, I see no reason to believe that wont continue. If the team in front of him keeps playing the way they have, I think they will be a tough task for any team the rest of the way.

Toronto obviously have the star power to get this done, but the struggle is very real defensively. They are highly dependant on Andersen, who in my opinion is an absolute wall and one of the best goalies in the league. Perhaps even the best. We shall see. The coaching change seems to have had a positive effect so far.

Buffalo is a bit of dark horse. They look improved, and if Eichel keeps going the way he has, he might be able to will his team to the playoffs. They need Dahlin back to get the PP going again.

Montreal I dont believe in, but they have proven me wrong before. If price gets hot you never know..

Things are very much wide open, but Tampa and Florida are the front runners for me at this point.

Reactions: I am not exposed

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Toronto obviously have the star power to get this done, but the struggle is very real defensively. They are highly dependant on Andersen, who in my opinion is an absolute wall and one of the best goalies in the league. Perhaps even the best. We shall see. The coaching change seems to have had a positive effect so far.

Andersen is so so underrated. They work him too hard and he has petered out every year, but if they could give him a nice 50-55 game work load like the goalies on the other contending teams get he could be nice and ready for the playoffs.

Reactions: Redwingsfan

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Boston
Tampa
Florida

The Panthers are already ahead of the rest, and that’s with Bob playing like and ECHL goalie. They will secure a spot for sure. And Tampa is still Tampa.

Buffalo narrowly misses the playoffs. They will be in the following year however

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I went with Tampa (they can't miss... right?) and Montreal (because I want my Habs against the Bruins. Even if we lose, it's a fun matchup.)

Reactions: dukeofjive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad