The Athletic: Worth the money?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Wondering whether any of you guys have or had a subscription to The Athletic, and whether you feel it's worth the $10 a month. I really only follow the Flames and no sports other than hockey, so the price tag seems a little steep to just read about one team. Nonetheless, the articles I've read so far all have a high standard of journalism and have been interesting and enjoyable.

Didn't want to start a new thread but asking this question in an unrelated one felt wrong.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Wondering whether any of you guys have or had a subscription to The Athletic, and whether you feel it's worth the $10 a month. I really only follow the Flames and no sports other than hockey, so the price tag seems a little steep to just read about one team. Nonetheless, the articles I've read so far all have a high standard of journalism and have been interesting and enjoyable.

Didn't want to start a new thread but asking this question in an unrelated one felt wrong.

I am in the same conundrum as you. They added a ton of the most talented beat writers from the NHL this summer. Last year it was very underwhelming.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Go in with someone and share the subscription between the two of you, and no, I'm not saying share it with hundreds of people. My parents do that with the city paper. Those old geezers walk it over to the neighbors after reading it.

Last edited:
Reactions: super6646

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Go in with someone and share the subscription between the two of you, and no, I'm not saying share it with hundreds of people. My parents do that with the city paper. Those old geezers walk it over in the morning after reading it.

What the f*** am I reading :laugh:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Go in with someone and share the subscription between the two of you, and no, I'm not saying share it with hundreds of people. My parents do that with the city paper. Those old geezers walk it over in the morning after reading it.
I guess in order to do that you would have to set up a new e-mail address that both parties have access to.

Reactions: Corpus X

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Occasionally they have deals in the price, so look around. I paid for the annual for like 39 bucks I think?

I’d say if you have the money, it’s definitely worth it. I follow the Flames and Yankees, so it gives a good amount of reading material for that price. The talent level they have for the Flames definitely is what drove me there first, so from my experience it’s been worth it.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I bought my subscription over the weekend when it was 50% off for the annual deal ($36 instead of $72 for the first year). I read most of the flames articles over the past few days, even those from like the summer. The articles are great but the price is a bit steep if you're only gonna be following the Flames on there, I thought it was worth it for me since I follow hockey, basketball and soccer. If the price is too steep just keep an eye out for deals, or if you're a student you get a discount as well, as long as you sign up with your school email.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Occasionally they have deals in the price, so look around. I paid for the annual for like 39 bucks I think?

I’d say if you have the money, it’s definitely worth it. I follow the Flames and Yankees, so it gives a good amount of reading material for that price. The talent level they have for the Flames definitely is what drove me there first, so from my experience it’s been worth it.

I bought my subscription over the weekend when it was 50% off for the annual deal ($36 instead of $72 for the first year). I read most of the flames articles over the past few days, even those from like the summer. The articles are great but the price is a bit steep if you're only gonna be following the Flames on there, I thought it was worth it for me since I follow hockey, basketball and soccer. If the price is too steep just keep an eye out for deals, or if you're a student you get a discount as well, as long as you sign up with your school email.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I balked at the sale price this weekend just because I didn't want to commit for a year, but now I'm sort of wishing I'd just bit the bullet. Still undecided but probably nearer to getting a subscription.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

I graduated 2 years ago but still have access to my school email so this is good to know

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I only religiously follow the Flames so for me I just don't think it's worth the money.. discount or not.

Tical

Jul 1, 2013
I googled a 50% off link, and followed it. Worth every penny, just to never see Simmons, Francis and all the rest of the hacks. As long as the /vast/ content continues to be of such quality, I will keep subscribing.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I only religiously follow the Flames so for me I just don't think it's worth the money.. discount or not.

I only follow the Flames, but I'm happy with what I get on the athletic. I didn't pay full price either as I waited for a deal, but even at full price it ain't bad (but I refuse to pay full price based on principle). I sometimes read other sports teams media, just because I have access to it. I especially love the behind the scene stories that pop up.

I read a bunch of Calgary Stampeder articles over the summer and noticed that the content in those articles were topics and stats that quite a few of my Stampeder fan friends didn't even know about. It was cool chatting about the article info with them and they learning while they also taught me what they knew and had observed.

My buddy put it best though. If you like under the hood type of stuff, the athletic is fantastic and worth every penny. But if you just like going along for the ride (and not nerding out) with your favourite sports teams, then it's probably a hard cost to justify.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I know I'm not a flames fan but I do highly recommend the athletic. Tons of prospect reports, easily 30+ NHL stories a day. The app kinda sucks to navigate outside your bubble but yeah, I love the athletic.

Def go on the discount though.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I know I'm not a flames fan but I do highly recommend the athletic. Tons of prospect reports, easily 30+ NHL stories a day. The app kinda sucks to navigate outside your bubble but yeah, I love the athletic.

Def go on the discount though.

Agreed. It might be cool if there's a "You liked this article? What about this one?" (but without suggesting articles I've already read). Sorta like the feature where the Athletic suggests articles based on your sports fandom. But I'm sure it'll be a thing sooner rather than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad