Prospect Info: The Athletic ranks Rangers as 11th best system

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I actually think that is pretty good given these prospects were mostly added in the last two years.

Imagine what another draft or two could do, or if they add some more viable prospects along with.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Shestyorkin, in light of everything he has done, being rated where he is is a joke

Hajek should also be higher as well

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I really like a lot of our prospects, but I think there's enough doubt on every single one of them that I can see the justification of how he tiers them.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I hate that these lists even get posted. I wish everyone would just ignore them. (Not criticizing OP)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think what hurts the Rangers' ranking on most lists is that there's still holes in their cupboard --- namely on the wings and at right defense.

Beyond Kravtsov, who would we consider a top prospect on the wings?

Do we have a defenseman that we can reasonably project as a potential top-pairing player in our rankings? I know some on this board really like Hajek, but I can't say I give favorable odds to that type of outcome for him.

We've come a long, long way. Personally, I'd have put us inside the top 10, but we're really not that far off being ranked 11th.

Now, you add a couple of prospects at the deadline, and land one of the top talents in the 2019 draft, then we're probably in that top tier.

But I can't say we're there yet.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think what hurts the Rangers' ranking on most lists is that there's still holes in their cupboard --- namely on the wings and at right defense.

Do we have a defenseman that we can reasonably project as a potential top-pairing player in our rankings? I know some on this board really like Hajek, but I can't say I give favorable odds to that type of outcome for him.

We've come a long, long way. Personally, I'd have put us inside the top 10, but we're really not that far off being ranked 11th.

Now, you add a couple of prospects at the deadline, and land one of the top talents in the 2019 draft, then we're probably in that top tier.

I think Ronning is a better prospect than he gets credit for, but that doesn't make us strong there... so otherwise I agree.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think Ronning is a better prospect than he gets credit for, but that doesn't make us strong there... so otherwise I agree.

That's fair.

There are certainly guys with potential, and more than a few who provide unique possibilities, but it's difficult to reflect that in a higher ranking.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Agreed, and I’m still honestly a bit iffy about the C position until I see how Chytil performs this year. As for the defense, I’d say we’ve stockpiled a lot of guys that have top-4 potential. Like you said, none really stand out as a top-pairing dman, but hopefully that can be mitigated by Skjei rounding into a solid first-pairing guy.

I think we’re a bit deeper than our latest retool starting in 2006, but I honestly still see a lot of similarities to the general makeup of that group. I don’t think Lias, Chytil, or Kravtsov are near the same level as Cherepanov, but I’d say they’re only a tier below. It’ll be interesting to see how they’ll fare over the next decade.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agreed, and I’m still honestly a bit iffy about the C position until I see how Chytil performs this year. As for the defense, I’d say we’ve stockpiled a lot of guys that have top-4 potential. Like you said, none really stand out as a top-pairing dman, but hopefully that can be mitigated by Skjei rounding into a solid first-pairing guy.

I think we’re a bit deeper than our latest retool starting in 2006, but I honestly still see a lot of similarities to the general makeup of that group. I don’t think Lias, Chytil, or Kravtsov are near the same level as Cherepanov, but I’d say they’re only a tier below. It’ll be interesting to see how they’ll fare over the next decade.

I think top-pair potential is a little much. We've stockpiled guys with middle pair potential. I think its a needed distinction.

And these Pronman rankings are fair based on his theories. We have a lot of depth, but not a lot of top end talent. Pronman almost completely ranks on skill, high-end potential. He doesn't really care much about depth or the "safe player" cliches. He's not big on ranking goalies high either, so its not really much of a surprise that we are ranked outside of the top 10 here to those who were complaining.

Reactions: Doctor King Schultz

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I think top-pair potential is a little much. We've stockpiled guys with middle pair potential. I think its a needed distinction.

And these Pronman rankings are fair based on his theories. We have a lot of depth, but not a lot of top end talent. Pronman almost completely ranks on skill, high-end potential. He doesn't really care much about depth or the "safe player" cliches. He's not big on ranking goalies high either, so its not really much of a surprise that we are ranked outside of the top 10 here to those who were complaining.

Also, going from 29th - 11th in one year is pretty damn good, No?

There's always going to be someone who thinks X-player should be ranked higher or lower than Y-player... personal preference and all.

I read it as we've done a great job but still aren't there, which is exactly what we are.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

There's always going to be someone who thinks X-player should be ranked higher or lower than Y-player... personal preference and all.

I read it as we've done a great job but still aren't there, which is exactly what we are.

We are definitely the most improved farm

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

There's the question of actually how good Meskanen and/or Lindqvist can be on the wings. That has the potential to change things a bit. I also wouldn't be surprised if Andersson eventually turns into a left winger.

As for right defense--is Pionk for real? Can DeAngelo overcome his defensive issues?

Anyway we'll know more about all this around December if not before.

The thing I wonder about most is--if one or more of Chytil, Kravtsov or Shesterkin become elite players? I think we're going to have a bunch of very good players and I mentioned 12 in my previous post but whether any of them become elite players is another question.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Part of the criticism is due to our prospect pool not having aged long enough. A lot of guys could move up a tier higher with another year under their belt, even at the cost of others falling back because there’s a very good overall depth. This is even without consideration for more natural and via more trades infusion in the next 12 months. I bet next year at this time we will be talking about being in top5 as an organization.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Part of the criticism is due to our prospect pool not having aged long enough. A lot of guys could move up a tier higher with another year under their belt, even at the cost of others falling back because there’s a very good overall depth. This is even without consideration for more natural and via more trades infusion in the next 12 months. I bet next year at this time we will be talking about being in top5 as an organization.

That’s a big component.

Right now there’s some potential there — but there’s also a some unknowns. There are a number of guys who could go either way and we have to see how they adjust to turning pro.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yeah, I completely agree.

If we want to go from 11 to top 5, it requires adding potential 1C's or 1D's. Maybe we'll add that in the next draft.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Yes, I’d agree with that and think that’s very fair. I could actually see us cranking out some solid second pairing guys. I only added top-4 because I think Hajek can hit that, but I’m biased when it comes to him.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
At least he acknowledges that our farm system, while not overly top-heavy (which is good) is very deep.

That's pretty much been the story of the Rangers franchise throughout this whole peak and is the reason we didn't win a Cup. A deep roster that lacked true differencemakers at the top to put us over.

It's not a good thing.

I would feel a lot better about the state of the Rangers with say Pettersson instead of Lias

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->