News Article: The Athletic on Detroit's "Contract Efficiency"

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Dom Luszczyszyn of The Athletic:

Methodology:
Teams will be graded empirically based on the surplus value they bring in per player contract (all dead money counts as one) as well as the average probability those deals will provide positive value. Both are based on a player’s age-adjusted projected win output according to GSVA and the uncertainty in that projection for future seasons, along with the cost of a win on the open market. How much each team spends to obtain those wins will also be graded.

What’s being assessed is the future value of the remainder of each contract, meaning what a player has already done holds no merit here. Future value means age is crucial in terms of grading each contract, with players peaking between the ages of 22-26 and declining afterward.

Surplus value will depend on term, where more seasons give more opportunity to compound value. Positive value probability depends on the certainty of a player’s projection which depends on how much variance there has been in the player’s past numbers. Longer term means that uncertainty increases.
Each contract will be graded based on where their combined surplus value and positive value probability fall on the following percentile scale. All contract and roster data is as of July 15.
Screen-Shot-2019-07-15-at-11.18.29-PM.png

Last, and certainly least, it’s Detroit. How could it be any other team? With four contracts in the D-range on the books, the Red Wings are in a four-way tie for the most bad deals in the league. Where Detroit differs is that the other teams have a few more above average deals to offset the pain. Not Detroit who have as many toxic deals as above-average ones. Those belong to Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha, Tyler Bertuzzi and Andreas Athanasiou – four forwards that provide the bulk of the team’s on-ice value. Without them, this team would be cooked.

The biggest issue for Detroit is how much the team is spending for a marginal win over the remainder of their contracts. It’s not just the alarming number of poor deals, or the certainty in how bad those deals are, but the fact that those deals are mostly for players that bring huge negative value. The team is spending $14.5 million per win, the league’s second-highest mark. That contributes to the team’s 35 percent average for positive value probability which is the league’s lowest mark, stemming from seven deals sitting at an under 20 percent success rate.

The team signed a replacement level forward to a two-year deal worth $3 million per, and it’s somehow not even close to being the worst deal on the books. That honour could go to Trevor Daley or Danny DeKeyser or Jonathan Ericsson or Darren Helm or Frans Nielsen or Justin Abdelkader and the fact the team has this many options is why they’re ranked so low.

(Abdelkader made the honourable mentions list on last week’s worst contracts, but through my own personal error should’ve actually been … second. I wrote down that he only had three years left, but he actually has four somehow. My sincerest apologies).

None of them are that expensive, but those deals add up into death by a thousand cuts. Those seven deals are collectively worth $69 million in financial commitment over the next several seasons, $29 million of which is tied up in next year’s cap. The Red Wings stand to lose just over five wins of value combined from those players over the entirety of their contract, with 40 percent of that coming in 2019-20. That’s as bad as it gets.

Well, actually, it gets worse. The next five deals are worth $17 million and are worth negative 0.1 wins on top of that. I just can’t fathom that a professional hockey team is spending over $80 million on players that are actively hurting the team’s chances of winning. New GM Steve Yzerman has his work cut out for him.
Mods - please snip the quote if you feel I posted too much of the article.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
We get it. We have some bad contracts. Luckily most of them are coming off the books sooner rather than later and now that Kenny is gone, those types of contracts shouldn't be given out to bad players anymore.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'm not entirely sure what exactly surplus value means here but it amuses me that Abdelkaders is in the negatives by 7.3 million more than Larkin/Mantha/Bertuzzi/AA are in the positives combined

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
People spend way too much time worrying about contracts. The goal is to get good hockey players that play well in a system. That should be 99% of the concern. Getting them on good deals is an added bonus.

For all the bitching and moaning, we have missed out on re-signing any of our good players. I don't think there is any hard evidence that we lost out on signing any good free agents due to a lack of money. Most of the big name free agents would have been disasters. Some of them that we did get are disasters. And we have gotten some of the bigger names

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
People spend way too much time worrying about contracts. The goal is to get good hockey players that play well in a system. That should be 99% of the concern. Getting them on good deals is an added bonus.

For all the *****ing and moaning, we have missed out on re-signing any of our good players. I don't think there is any hard evidence that we lost out on signing any good free agents due to a lack of money. Most of the big name free agents would have been disasters. Some of them that we did get are disasters. And we have gotten some of the bigger names
Not big names but we might not have traded Tatar and or Nyquist if not for the Abby/Helm/Franz signings. Yes the Tatar deal was great for us but I'd like to think if this team subtracted the 3 players above and added a real 2C to replace Franz along with keeping Tatar and Nyquist that this team could have been a playoff team. Then again, the defense would prob still been in shambles so prob not lol.

Reactions: ProbertKocur

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No way Glendening has negative value with NHL teams.

Otherwise yeah, lots of negative equity contracts on this team. I appreciate the analysis, but I think most of us knew that. Good news is we are beginning the process of freeing ourselves of those deals and Larkin is looking he will be great value for the next little while.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

For all the *****ing and moaning, we have missed out on re-signing any of our good players. I don't think there is any hard evidence that we lost out on signing any good free agents due to a lack of money. Most of the big name free agents would have been disasters. Some of them that we did get are disasters. And we have gotten some of the bigger names
So your argument is that wasting money isn't so bad because we didn't really need the money for anything, anyway?

Reactions: avssuc

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Some people here are disappointed that Yzerman has not used the Wings cap space to take on bad contracts from other teams in exchange for prospects and picks. That complaint was never aimed at Holland because there never was any cap space to use. He spent to the limit to put together a basement team.

Had he preserved any cap space, he could've potentially used it to take on a bad contract for picks and prospects. There may not be hard evidence that he missed out on a great free agent or salary dump (there never really would be hard evidence of anything like that) but that doesn't mean it didn't hinder the team and rebuild.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
His numbers the past 5 years
wOiaVin.png

2 time All Star selection in that span. I would argue he was definitely worth that money. Definitely more so than other players on this team thats for sure.

Nice counter argument. Care to argue against Howard's stats?

Average save % in the NHL by year:

14-15 - .915%
15-16 - .915%
16-17 - .913%
17-18 - .912%
18-19 - .910%

So that’s 4 of the last 5 years he was below average in save percentage. He plays in front of a trash defense, but I don’t see him holding up well in a stats-based argument using the last 5 years.

Reactions: Run the Jewels

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Don't really need statistics to show this team has bad contracts. Any time you have a GM that was willing to trade away picks (when you should be rebuilding) to remove only 1 year of 7 million in cap on your non-contending team so you can make room for long term mediocrity as a replacement, you are going to have bad contracts. The only reason its still a topic though is those bad contracts crowded out pieces that might have been nice to still have or have traded for futures and many of these terrible contracts are still on the books handcuffing the process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->