The Athletic hits 500,000 subscribers

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Somebody keep this thread towards the top of the page so I'm reminded to cancel my subscription in a couple weeks.

You can just cancel it now and you'll maintain access for the length of your subscription. All you'll do is stop them from charging your credit card. Then you can re-up at one of their discounted rates in the future if you want.

Reactions: AdmiralsFan24

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
You can just cancel it now and you'll maintain access for the length of your subscription. All you'll do is stop them from charging your credit card. Then you can re-up at one of their discounted rates in the future if you want.

I did this this weekend. I let the subscription cancel and they were doing the 50% off so I got back in and got the 30 dollars again like last year. I was surprised they let me do that but it worked.

Reactions: Ernie

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
I have a love hate going on with The Athletic. Every now and then they release an article that makes me glad I subscribed (two years at the $30), however so many of their articles seem to be generic or even repetitive to what was published prior.

I like their reporters a lot. Salvian, Wheeler, Strang, etc are great. But like others have said the sense of superiority some of their reporters have is really starting to show. I like Mirtle and all but I had to unfollow him on Twitter due to it being an Athletic advertisement every day.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Update on my previous post: 3ish games into the NHL season and I'm ready to end my subscription with The Athletic. While the self promotion is annoying I've enjoyed maybe 1/5 articles the past few weeks. Often forcing myself to read more just because it's already been paid for.

Reactions: Llama19

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
While I can't stand my team's writer for the Athletic, I've renewed once now just because I find at least a few stories each month I would not have read elsewhere and to me that makes the cost of a script worth it.

The only negative side I've felt from it is I've noticed the Athletic smugness from certain writers.. there are definitely a few who think they're the greatest and can't handle anybody who differs from the opinions they write... but for the most part its easy to ignore their content and still find value in the site.

Also, the app is great.

Reactions: shello

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Cancelled my subscription and can't say I miss it at all. I still have the 3 free articles a month in the app but I've only read one in the month and a half since I've cancelled.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Cancelled my subscription and can't say I miss it at all. I still have the 3 free articles a month in the app but I've only read one in the month and a half since I've cancelled.
I have an annual subscription and I got a lot of use out of it in the summer when things were quieter. Plus it was draft season. That said I'm probably not going to re-up when it comes up in the spring. I barely read it and the teams I do like to read about, I'm not very into the coverage.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I subscribed to it like two weeks ago for the podcasts, then literally days later they announced all their podcasts were going back to free services

:facepalm:

The articles are good, dont get me wrong, but that wasnt the reason I subscribed.

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad