Prospect Info: The Athletic: Down on the Farm

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
A neat read from Joe McDonald at the Athletic:

PROVIDENCE – A high-ankle sprain can be an agonizing injury for a goaltender.

The Providence Bruins’ Daniel Vladar missed six weeks this season due to the injury, which can be especially rough on players who need to use their ankles to create leverage. But the time away turned out to be a blessing for the 22-year-old netminder. During that forced break, Vladar spent time with goalie coach Mike Dunham discussing the intricacies of the position. They watched video and focused on Vladar’s basic movements.

It led to changes in how Vladar plays his position.

“It was the toughest situation for me,” Vladar said. “It wasn’t a fun time, but it was worth it.”

Dunham and Bruins goalie coach Bob Essensa felt Vladar was moving too much and dropping to his pads too early. The coaches told Vladar to stay on his skates more and to learn to be patient. The Bruins want the Czech native to utilize his 6-foot-5 frame efficiently.

“I don’t think I had the greatest camp, so it was something I needed to work on,” Vladar said. “I felt good physically, but the pucks weren’t hitting me and I wasn’t playing the way I wanted. (Spending time with Dunham) helped and so far it’s working really well. A lot of pucks can hit me and that’s what I’m trying to do more and more, and I feel comfortable every single game.”

Also a nice writeups on Studnicka and Frederic.

Down on the farm: Bruins' Daniel Vladar has a new style...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad