The Athletic CBJ trivia...yes behind a paywall

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I know its behind a paywall but I also know some of the people in here are TA subscribers. Anyone else take the CBJ trivia contest on the site? I humbly nailed a 51 out of 100. Guess I am just not as diehard a fan as I thought :dunno:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I got smoked.

I watched the games every year in the early years but I didn't get invested enough to remember the trivia.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I doubt many are breaking 70 without cheating or simply getting lucky and hitting all of their educated guesses. 60 is pretty good.

I thought I had a few layups (most goals without a hat trick, faceoff wins, and the last question about GWG) but I missed them. Should have got higher. But I also got lucky on some guesses too so I guess it evens out.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I got killed (47/100) but I'm not surprised. I didn't follow the team at all until 2011-12. I did use Ron Tugnutt when he was a choice because I was flat out guessing on most of the questions.

I don't think that it was a legit test of CBJ knowledge-it was really tilted toward the silly obscure. That I'm in the ballpark of the OP who I'm sure knows a lot of the team's history than I do shows me that it's not a good test.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I got killed (47/100) but I'm not surprised. I didn't follow the team at all until 2011-12. I did use Ron Tugnutt when he was a choice because I was flat out guessing on most of the questions.

I don't think that it was a legit test of CBJ knowledge-it was really tilted toward the silly obscure. That I'm in the ballpark of the OP who I'm sure knows a lot of the team's history me than I do shows me that it's not a good test.

Agreed. Who cares which defenseman, player, or team has scored the most times against the CBJ lol. That’s not even trivia, that’s just useless knowledge. I was surprised there was no mention of captains or something.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed. Who cares which defenseman, player, or team has scored the most times against the CBJ lol. That’s not even trivia, that’s just useless knowledge. I was surprised there was no mention of captains or something.

You know that's the definition of trivia, right? Perhaps it was too trivial.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I doubt many are breaking 70 without cheating or simply getting lucky and hitting all of their educated guesses. 60 is pretty good.
...that pretty handily explains my score. I thought 87 was going to be okayish, not awe-inspiring. :scared:

EDIT: Yeah, a second pass (in which I deliberately flipped some of my 50-50 guesses) got me 60.

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I also scored around 50 points.
Shocked that there are more Jackets Czech Republic players than Russia, Sweden or Finland

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I also scored around 50 points.
Shocked that there are more Jackets Czech Republic players than Russia, Sweden or Finland
Not shocked at all, myself. It was a trend I'd noticed pretty early on when I started really getting into the game and the team. It's cooled down considerably of late (in no small part due to the Czech Republic's hockey talent exports cooling down as well :( ) but it's been there for a while.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not shocked at all, myself. It was a trend I'd noticed pretty early on when I started really getting into the game and the team. It's cooled down considerably of late (in no small part due to the Czech Republic's hockey talent exports cooling down as well :( ) but it's been there for a while.

Czech and Slovak hockey has gone very far downhill indeed. A Czech friend told me that a lot of rinks closed down after the fall of communism. People were used to the state paying for hockey, and they didn't have the household finances to pay for it.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
More than 800 of you have taken The Athletic’s #CBJ trivia challenge. It’s not easy: average score? 38/100. That means anything in the 30s is good, anything above 38 is really good, and the dude/dudette who got an 87 … wow

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

There were a ton early on. I think around the mid-2000s, CBJ sold a shirt (my brother had it) that did a play on words with “Four Czech” because of Vyborny, Klesla and then maybe Hrdina and/or Balastik? Some other prominent ones include Spacek, Voracek, Prospal, and then I’m sure a decent number of marginal guys that were only here a season or two that I’m just not remembering.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm tired of all the griping about the paywall. Compared to all the other content you can buy, The Athletic is a steal if you're into sports like we are.

I just checked my account. I paid $20.40 for a year renewal in December. It's the cost of 2 beers at NWA.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
That reminds me, is the option to subscribe to this board still available to make all the damn pop-ups and non-sports articles go away?
UPDATE: Yes it is! That's soooo much better. $12.

Reactions: Derby

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I'm tired of all the griping about the paywall. Compared to all the other content you can buy, The Athletic is a steal if you're into sports like we are.
FTR, I did not see any posts in this thread griping about the paywall.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
That reminds me, is the option to subscribe to this board still available to make all the damn pop-ups and non-sports articles go away?
UPDATE: Yes it is! That's soooo much better. $12.
Worth every cent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad