The Athletic: Agent Survey Next TV Deal, Next Season Start

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Excerpt
4. Who ends up with the national U.S. television rights after the current one expires (following 2020-21 season)?
VOTES
NBC9
NBC/ESPN split3
ESPN3
No idea2
Shared but w/ESPN1
Chopped to pieces1
Amazon1
NBC/ESPN/Amazon1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
According to a story from colleague Bill Shea, talks are ongoing between the NHL and NBC to extend the crucial U.S. television deal but the hope among many agents is that the league gets more than NBC involved in this one, even if they’re the favorite.
“ESPN is definitely going to be a player in it.”
“NBC keeps it but they have to get more people involved. If you could get an Amazon and Netflix involved for a couple of games that’d be ideal. It’s just shitty timing with COVID. People aren’t looking to invest huge amounts of money.”
“I believe it’ll be a shared split between NBC, NBC Sports and ESPN. I believe NBC will end up with the majority of the rights but there will be an ESPN carve-out.”
“They just did an extension in the Nordic countries, I’m curious as to what they got. I think it’s going to be chopped up. The worst part of the Stanley Cup playoffs was listening to the same people every day over and over and over. I think it’s good to have competition among broadcasters.”
“The ability to align with a non-traditional media market like Amazon or Netflix would be huge.”
“I would love to see ESPN get in but my sense is it’s NBC.”
“I think the league wants to get back to ESPN. So if that’s the case, then an ESPN/ABC result probably makes the most sense. And (ESPN) basically said as much when they let people go that they had to redeploy resources (for rights).”
“NBC, ESPN and Amazon. I don’t think it’s going to be like before. I think there’s going to be more widespread availability. Even with the NFL, I go to check my fantasy scores and I can watch a game through the Yahoo fantasy app. That would have been unheard of two years ago. I think the big national games will still be on NBC but I think ESPN will pull in a bigger streaming component.”

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Also in article.

Teams with best off season: top 3.
In order: Montreal, Ottawa and Colorado

Highest profile players to change teams in next year,Top 4 players in order:

Laine, Eichel, (tied) then Marner, Nylander

Reactions: eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Also in article.

Teams with best off season: top 3.
In order: Montreal, Ottawa and Colorado

Highest profile players to change teams in next year,Top 4 players in order:

Laine, Eichel, (tied) then Marner, Nylander

It was a really good article for those that don't subscribe to the article there's lots of good content in there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad