Post-Game Talk: The Arrival of Freddy? | Leafs beat Caps 2-0

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You want him to ignore the play and just shadow/watch his D?

His job is to do both. Follow the play of course but quickly turn your head for a moment every second or two to make sure you know where your man is at all times.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
His job is to do both. Follow the play of course but quickly turn your head for a moment every second or two to make sure you know where your man is at all times.
You're right, so I don't see why facing the play, which is what should happen, is an issue. He'll watch the play, then check the D, repeat.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You're right, so I don't see why facing the play, which is what should happen, is an issue. He'll watch the play, then check the D, repeat.

He wasn't checking the D though, that's the thing. I mean I didn't have my eye on him non-stop the whole game but the couple of times I noticed, he wasn't checking the D at all. I don't think I made that clear enough in my original post so I apologize for that. When I said he was "puck watching" I should have said "puck watching without so much as a glance behind him at the guy he's supposed to be covering".

member 262271

Not the game I expected, but very thrilled with the result. Was pretty nervous after the 1-0 goal but they pulled it off, woot!

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Does anyone have video of Nylander's bad giveaway and Andersen bailing him out?
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Eb

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Well I appreciate that. Sometimes it is what it is. So it could very well be a try out. But thing is they have to clear waivers. The way they have both been playing, that wont happen. So that is why I figure whomever "loses," the battle is part of a bigger trade, or trade for a pick. I said in the beginning, Leivo is too good to sit. Now many may say, well give Martin a rest, but he does not play the minutes to warrant that, especially this early. At the moment only way Leivo gets in is if Babcock is sending a message (right now Marner). But to your point, "having so many wingers," it does not make sense to keep him. We all know Kasper can come up and play no problems. The way Johnsson is playing he is another really good option. Lets not forget Gauthier, (he is still hurt I think), and Aaltonenn is down there too, and actually should be up in the NHL but we just were not going to waive to experienced guys in favor of a guy new to the N/A style. So we have options. Further on Miro, I think he makes it next year easily (esp if he has a great camp). I think signing Moore and Hainsey was smart, vet experience, and allows our kids in the AHL to further develop. In any case, I appreciate your compliment, and I believe within the next 2 weeks we see something. As I said prior, at some point you have to have ALL your guys playing regularly in order to develop the all important chemistry. I think that is one of the reasons we see some of our defensive issues. When I say defense I mean everything from; covering the guy infront, passes out of the zone/neutral zone, leaving the offensive zone early (forwards, and defense), leaving the defensive zone early (offense). Happened a couple times last night, Carrick and Gardiner especially. They had 2 days to make a perfect pass, or skate it up and in, they stood there and either iced it with a horrible pass or gave it away. Coach said post game the offense needs to be fixed, he didnt think we did well 2nd,3rd and in Montreal. I also said that. Tale of two teams. With NJ we were all offense no defense (ditto NYR). With Montreal and in the latter half last night, way too defensive minded, so much so we were not getting chances, we did not have a ton of offensive possession, and that is the best defense (hard to get scored on if you have the puck). So what we need a meld of the two. Good positioning defensively, but pressuring, cycling when we have the chance, and with our skill that will get us goals, power-plays, and that all together will help our defense.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
andersen had a relatively easy night. it was one of those games where you wouldn't be that impressed if he got a shutout saves, but would be pissed if he allowed 3 or more goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad