The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolClarkson*

Is this contingent on Perry signing here as a FA? because if that is the case, it would be a stupid decision to dump a bunch of player in hopes that we sign a star player. Also the depth in that lineup is ****, if we got hit with injuries we would be in just as bad of a spot (if not worse) then we currently are.

Also very unsure that giving Corrado a roster spot next year is wise decision.

unless we have a new GM, Booth is staying. So any lineup without him is not reality

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Hemsky would be good with the Sedins. We should do what it takes to get him. Does Garrison have a NTC....

Yes, Garrison has an NTC. Further, Hemsky would make a poor fit with the twins, but perhaps a great fit with Kesler. All that said, to keep him, the team would have to shed Higgins and Raymond this offseason. I don't like the idea of that, not for Hemsky.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yes, Garrison has an NTC. Further, Hemsky would make a poor fit with the twins, but perhaps a great fit with Kesler. All that said, to keep him, the team would have to shed Higgins and Raymond this offseason. I don't like the idea of that, not for Hemsky.

I agree, and if i truly think a line of Raymond/Kesler/Hemsky could work out really well for us. Wouldn't mind letting Higgins go depending on what he asks for, or maybe roll with Booth and Kassian with Kesler and then Raymond/Hemsky on their own line. Could be a few options there but i dont know what Edmonton fans would want for Hemsky

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hemsky would be good with the Sedins. We should do what it takes to get him. Does Garrison have a NTC....

As i posted above, I would think that Hemsky would do better as a playmaker being with Kesler, possibly with Raymond/Booth. Problem is cost and the whole trading within division thing

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Hemsky
Raymond Schroeder Hansen

or something like that

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think Higgins/Hansen are good second liners if there is someone to carry that second line. They are for sure elite third liners though

Great players, yes. Elite 3rd liners, yes. 2nd line players? Pushing it.

We want to stack up to the best right? That's our goal right, being best in the league?

Look at Boston's forward group. Are they more Horton or Marchand or more Peverley and Kelly?

Chicago. Are they more Sharp or Hossa or Stalberg or Bolland?

I could do the same for many other players and many other teams. Point is, we need to bring a forward that pushes our depth down, not another band-aid fix that adds to our depth.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I agree, my point was that they are able to play on a second line, but they cannot carry a second line, the Hossa/Horton type player is needed for them to be effective. They cant be the best on that line, but they can bring grit, speed in Hansen's case, good defense and streaky scoring to the second line, but they need someone to solidify that line. I think Kesler can still be that guy, but his inability to use his teammates effectively prevents Higgins/Hansen from being effective second line players. We need a playmaker on that line to allow Kesler to be all that he can be so that he can carry a Hansen/Higgins. Internally the only guy i see ever becoming that player is Kassian, Raymond has very good vision, but i just dont see it working out as well as i would want with them. From outside, i would say Hemsky would be a great addition

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Higgins might be an effective, but low-end 2nd liner.
He has more offense and better hands than most 3rd liners.
He is certainly a tweener, but he has enough skills for the 2nd line.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Ehh...I don't think Higgins and Hansen are 2nd liners, Bleach. They aren't 1st liners either.

They certainly have a record of producing like 2nd liners. Seems to always be a bit of a grass is greener thing going on with our wingers around here. There's more than enough Top 6 talent on this team and if AV can't get the best out of them then he has nobody to blame but himself.

There's Sedin, Sedin, Burrows and Kesler as your elite Top 4 forwards. The first 3 produce like elite 1st liners at ES and Kesler is an elite 2nd liner. Then you have guys like Booth, Raymond, Higgins and Hansen who have all shown capable of producing at least 2nd line offense and in Booth's case even 1st line.

Last edited:

LolClarkson*

As i posted above, I would think that Hemsky would do better as a playmaker being with Kesler, possibly with Raymond/Booth. Problem is cost and the whole trading within division thing

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Hemsky
Raymond Schroeder Hansen

or something like that

If we got Hemsky,I think we are right up there with the Rangers and Hawks on paper.

LolClarkson*

Great players, yes. Elite 3rd liners, yes. 2nd line players? Pushing it.

We want to stack up to the best right? That's our goal right, being best in the league?

Look at Boston's forward group. Are they more Horton or Marchand or more Peverley and Kelly?

Chicago. Are they more Sharp or Hossa or Stalberg or Bolland?

I could do the same for many other players and many other teams. Point is, we need to bring a forward that pushes our depth down, not another band-aid fix that adds to our depth.

It looks like Hansen is taking another step this year and Sharp is taking a step backwards. Don't under sell Hansen.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The top6 players on this team:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Hansen
Raymond
-Schroeder-Booth
Sestito-Lapierre-Kassian
Weise

(Schroeder and Kassian still developing too)

The top4 Dmen on this team:

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Ballard

Alberts-Barker

The #1 goalies:

Schneider-Luongo

How is this team struggling? You have 8 legit top6 forwards, 6 top4 Dmen and 2 #1s... What is happening here? Have we come to the point where you have to start bringing in 1st line players onto the 2nd line just to compensate for a weak system/coach? Is that what it has come to?

With all that depth you'd think we'd win the cup year after year, no? I agree some problems are coaching, but I think you're overrating this team a bit. A team with that many "top 6 forwards" should not have trouble scoring in the playoffs and should not be playing like an enigmatic team. We have too many tweeners and not enough high end talent.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Richards is the only over rated part.

Is Hossa not an elite first liner ?

What does Hossa have to do with it? He's a Blackhawk. That team has one first-liner in Nash and then two guys that have gone over the hill now to an extent in Richards and Gaborik (elite 2nd line material). Hagelin and Stepan are no better than Booth and Raymond, likely worse. Callahan is a much, much worse version of Burrows.

Rangers are nowhere close to as good as the Canucks, in theory or in practice.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
We're already better on paper than the Rangers. What an overrated team.

agreed, they are quite overrated and many of them are overpaid. Although they are amongst the best, I really like Richards (Brad moreso than Mike) but he is definently not what he is talked up to be in NY.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
What does Hossa have to do with it? He's a Blackhawk. That team has one first-liner in Nash and then two guys that have gone over the hill now to an extent in Richards and Gaborik (elite 2nd line material). Hagelin and Stepan are no better than Booth and Raymond, likely worse. Callahan is a much, much worse version of Burrows.

Rangers are nowhere close to as good as the Canucks, in theory or in practice.

agree with Richards but not with Gaborik, he is a first liner, just dry injury prone. He still has it though.I agree that we are much better than them though

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

The Hawks have 4 first line players (Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp) but their depth is really bad and we have many more 2nd line/borderline 2nd line players.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The Hawks have 4 first line players (Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp) but their depth is really bad and we have many more 2nd line/borderline 2nd line players.

I think we're pretty comparable to the Hawks overall. In top talent and in depth. The whole reason for their recent resurgence is that they finally have better depth players and depth D-men. Ones that can play their system unlike all the over-the-hill guys they had the last 2 years.

With all that depth you'd think we'd win the cup year after year, no? I agree some problems are coaching, but I think you're overrating this team a bit. A team with that many "top 6 forwards" should not have trouble scoring in the playoffs and should not be playing like an enigmatic team. We have too many tweeners and not enough high end talent.

When your coach consistently forces square pegs into round holes then it's no wonder this team can't produce. Look no further than the usage of Ballard as a prime example of that. AV simply has no concept of coaching to players' strengths. He's a good big picture guy and he would do well if this game were played with clones instead of individuals.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
An upgrade with those traits is unlikely to be found at a reasonable cost.

I didn't realize Bozak was a proven top6 forward...

Yet you claim Hansen, Higgins, Raymond and Booth are all proven top 6 forwards and none of them have produced as much as Tyler Bozak. Bozak has the highest career PPG of any of these players.

If you didn't realize it before, you do now.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Yet you claim Hansen, Higgins, Raymond and Booth are all proven top 6 forwards and none of them have produced as much as Tyler Bozak. Bozak has the highest career PPG of any of these players.

Bozak has 6ESP this season, which is quite a bit less than Hansen, Higgins and Raymond. He had a comparable year to Higgins last season with 34 ESP but he also got to play with Kessel and Lupul. Those 4 are far more proven than Bozak.

Possession stats paint the same exact picture.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

If you didn't realize it before, you do now.
Bozak plays with Kessel and Lupul. and Plays on the power play. Like Tirans mentioned Raymond and Hansen have outproduced Bozak 5 on 5 despite inferior line-mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad