OT: The Arizona Coyotes Lounge XVI - The Netflix, Disney+ Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I bet 2/3's of that 1/3 are still spending money on cable tv, latte crapachinos, and going out to eat each month.

I'm mostly against acquiring debt, but with rates as low as they are, properly structured lending can make a lot of sense to maintain liquidity.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I bet 2/3's of that 1/3 are still spending money on cable tv, latte crapachinos, and going out to eat each month.

I'm mostly against acquiring debt, but with rates as low as they are, properly structured lending can make a lot of sense to maintain liquidity.
Going out to eat each MONTH?!?!? Oh shit. I’m in big trouble. I do that twice a week. Haha.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Going out to eat each MONTH?!?!? Oh ****. I’m in big trouble. I do that twice a week. Haha.
Unless you're running out of money before payday, I wasn't talking about you. Haha
People just live beyond their means.

Reactions: cobra427

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Sort of neither here nor there, but Del mentioned cable.
Streaming still can't replace it for me. I need to be able to just fire it up if I'm having trouble sleeping, or need something in the background while cooking or whatever. No waiting, no loading, no multiple services.

That said it's funny how much shittier Cox is just because they switched to the Contour boxes. Slow, update all the f***ing time, the DVR menu is annoying as hell too. It's like cable is intentionally getting rid of their own limited advantage. I'm 33 and work on tech shit daily and these boxes drive me nuts, the older folks who still really want cable these boxes must drive even crazier than they do me.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Streaming still can't replace it for me. I need to be able to just fire it up if I'm having trouble sleeping, or need something in the background while cooking or whatever. No waiting, no loading, no multiple services.

That said it's funny how much ****tier Cox is just because they switched to the Contour boxes. Slow, update all the ****ing time, the DVR menu is annoying as hell too. It's like cable is intentionally getting rid of their own limited advantage. I'm 33 and work on tech **** daily and these boxes drive me nuts, the older folks who still really want cable these boxes must drive even crazier than they do me.

Cox..... hah.

Couple of nights ago my main box went to do its nightly update and it wouldn’t come back.

Six failed reboots later I went onto Cox’s website and found out the “system in your area has an outage”.

IT WAS WORKING FINE UNTIL YOUR DAMN BOX DECIDED IT NEEDED AN UPDATE!!

Those boxes simply don’t have the horsepower to handle the demand placed on them. The bad part is we’re not even putting that much demand on them.... yet.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

That said it's funny how much ****tier Cox is just because they switched to the Contour boxes. Slow, update all the ****ing time, the DVR menu is annoying as hell too. It's like cable is intentionally getting rid of their own limited advantage. I'm 33 and work on tech **** daily and these boxes drive me nuts, the older folks who still really want cable these boxes must drive even crazier than they do me.
Youtube TV might meet your needs and I even say this as someone who hates google and only begrudgingly uses some of their services.

Youtube TV is painless and seamless, streams in higher quality than Cox ever did. 1080p60 for hockey vs 1080i on Cox.
Coming from DirecTv I haven't really noticed any better quality but overall I have to agree it's extremely well done service and I have zero regrets finally making the switch. Well other than it being google of course.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Youtube TV is painless and seamless, streams in higher quality than Cox ever did. 1080p60 for hockey vs 1080i on Cox.

Another endorsement here for YouTube TV. Good enough picture quality, and isn't missing any channels that I'd ever watch.

When YouTube TV was just getting started a few years back, they placed one of those superimposed ads on the wall behind home plate during the World Series. This was just as I was getting ready to get rid of DirecTV. This was a rare example of TV advertising having an effect on me, since I mute pretty much every commercial and look elsewhere.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I know it's expensive to live in NYC or SF, but this is a spending issue for many people. Thye just can't live within their salary.

View attachment 322125
Nearly 1 in 3 American workers run out of money before payday—even those earning over $100,000

Thanks. I've been suspecting this is the case for a long time, but never saw a plot like this one. Some of the reason is that high-paying jobs are found in expensive cities, but it's mostly because people are encouraged to live outside their means, as MIG observed.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Another endorsement here for YouTube TV. Good enough picture quality, and isn't missing any channels that I'd ever watch.
I lost the only 2 channels I watched with any regularity (Science and NHL Network) which really sucked but still don't regret the switch. Really hoping google adds them sometime soon though.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I know it's expensive to live in NYC or SF, but this is a spending issue for many people. Thye just can't live within their salary.

View attachment 322125
Nearly 1 in 3 American workers run out of money before payday—even those earning over $100,000

I was approved for a $230k loan, but I'm trying to find a place for like 170-180k. I figure the cheaper the better, just because I'm typically a frugal person. I used to spend $1300 a month on rent and utilities, I'm guessing I can get somewhere around there all together with a place.

It's just a matter of cutting back on other things. Another key is I'm looking for a place close to work, so I'm not spending a ton of gas and maintenance on my car.

But yes, this is a huge issue. Everyone wants the latest and greatest things. But if you are just smart with your money, you can get by.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
A little research will get you TV and all sports for free.

When I think about what TV channel I would REALLY miss... it's NBCSN, but not because of hockey. I really like watching cycling. Have not been able to find it for free.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Today we welcomed the newest member of our family :)

ry4VVu5.jpg

hmBgRJ7.png

a8MvH55.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad