OT: The Arizona Coyotes Lounge XVI - The Netflix, Disney+ Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd say very, very few grads make 65k coming out of school, even the ones with job-ready degrees.
Many do, probably more than you think. Even if they make 45K coming out of college is not bad for your first job. Like I said before, most don't realize that it takes hard work to get a degree, and then complain about the debt when they don't complete the degree. No one forced that person to attend college. If they want the easy way out, flip hamburgers. Life is what you make it.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Traffic problem? Now THIS is a traffic problem.

Thousands of fans didn't see large portions of the (Stadium Series) game, and many left before its conclusion, thanks to a horrific traffic mess that turned 45-minute journeys from Denver into four-plus-hour expeditions.

Irate fans caught in 'horrific' traffic want refunds

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I wish it wasn't this way but fact is there are very few degrees that are worth the cost to obtain them. A good rule of thumb, if your degree doesn't have you taking difficult math or science classes, it probably isn't worth the cost. Online education tips the scales a little bit but not much and even then I'd advise most to stay away from any online school that doesn't have a normal state university backing it.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Nothing wrong with student loans or debt if the ROI is going to be there. Many take out loans, then don't complete their degree and blame everyone but themselves. People take out loans for a business, then fail most times because of their stupidity, and again, blame everyone but themselves. My daughter has student loans from going to University for a PT doctorate degree. She complains all the time about debt, but I tell her she invested in herself, and treat it like a business. It would be nice to open a business and know exactly how much money you will make that first year. I agree there is a problem, but everyone wants a hand out, then when there is a bump in the road, they point fingers. Not sure what you mean by going part time, but my daughter's program was for 7 yrs. and if she took longer all she will be doing is delaying the evitable and will have debt later in life.
In my experience, most people in financial trouble or that can't get ahead, have taken on too much debt.They can't get out from under it. Most financially successful people I know didn't get there by leveraging their future. They figured out how to get ahead without taking on debt to get there. Once you are ahead and have some cash flow or have figured it out, you can then use debt judiciously to help you get to the next level.

Student loans, credit cards, really just borrowing money is way to easy. You are basically borrowing from future earnings that might not materialize to pay for something today. It can work as in your daughters case, but its dangerous in my opinion to start off your working career in debt.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
In my experience, most people in financial trouble or that can't get ahead, have taken on too much debt.They can't get out from under it. Most financially successful people I know didn't get there by leveraging their future. They figured out how to get ahead without taking on debt to get there. Once you are ahead and have some cash flow or have figured it out, you can then use debt judiciously to help you get to the next level.

Student loans, credit cards, really just borrowing money is way to easy. You are basically borrowing from future earnings that might not materialize to pay for something today. It can work as in your daughters case, but its dangerous in my opinion to start off your working career in debt.
We give the young and inexperienced too much rope to hang themselves with, there needs to be more roadblocks in place that makes it difficult to pile up debt early on. I acknowledge that's not an easy task but right now it's waaaaaay too easy for people to start running backwards right out of the gate. I also think high schools need to have some sort of mandatory "life skills" class (perhaps they do now?) where you deep dive on basic to moderate finances. A class like that is especially important for those kids who come from homes with parents whom themselves were never taught those skills either.

Reactions: cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We give the young and inexperienced too much rope to hang themselves with, there needs to be more roadblocks in place that makes it difficult to pile up debt early on. I acknowledge that's not an easy task but right now it's waaaaaay too easy for people to start running backwards right out of the gate. I also think high schools need to have some sort of mandatory "life skills" class (perhaps they do now?) where you deep dive on basic to moderate finances. A class like that is especially important for those kids who come from homes with parents whom themselves were never taught those skills either.
I agree, and the kids parents might be in debt as well, so they are not good examples or good at teaching their kids about the perils of debt. You don't need to borrow money to be successful or be ahead in life financially, its a trap.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

There are thousands of graduates coming out of universities in debt, and making a good income which will pay off in the future many times over. Many also never complete their degree because of different reasons, and that's when they get into trouble, but you can't compare that to CC debt as almost anyone can get a CC. Most businessman take on debt, or have taken on debt many times, in the beginning, all through their career. Some don't, but they would be in the minority, because taking on debt could be advantageous to them. Many times people get in financial trouble because it's self inflicted, some because of bad luck, and that is the way life is.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree that high schools have to have better financial education coming out of high school. Kids are book smart, street stupid.

Reactions: cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
There are thousands of graduates coming out of universities in debt, and making a good income which will pay off in the future many times over. Many also never complete their degree because of different reasons, and that's when they get into trouble, but you can't compare that to CC debt as almost anyone can get a CC. Most businessman take on debt, or have taken on debt many times, in the beginning, all through their career. Some don't, but they would be in the minority, because taking on debt could be advantageous to them. Many times people get in financial trouble because it's self inflicted, some because of bad luck, and that is the way life is.
Sure, it works out well for some, but not for most, and its a fallacy we are teaching kids. If you avoid debt, you avoid problems, and you can't borrow your way out of debt, most important thing my dad ever taught me:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Also, do you have any opinions on the residential application of vinyl plank flooring solutions?
Considering this one...
Jackson Hill Plank
Vinyl plank is good and the hot product at the moment. The one you like is a extra wide, extra long plank which is good, but the price is high. You could probably knock them down quite a bit. Also at this price ask them what the overall thickness is and what is the wear layer. Wear layer should be at least 20 mil. at this price point. Good luck.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sure, it works out well for some, but not for most, and its a fallacy we are teaching kids. If you avoid debt, you avoid problems, and you can't borrow your way out of debt, most important thing my dad ever taught me:)
That's what my grandfather told me also. He said if you can't pay cash you don't buy it. In today's world, that does not work. Look at the price of homes, cars etc. Almost no one has that much cash to buy these items. People that do impulse buying are the ones that never get out of debt. The one's that need the newest cell phone, newest and biggest TV etc. I would rather take on a mortgage on a home than rent an apartment all my life because I'm afraid of debt. Debt can be your friend as much as your enemy, it just depends on the individual.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
For a long time I was one of those people that were 'grr student loans". There is an entire industry out here encouraging alternatives to student loan debt and for every boot-camped programmer making ~90k in SF there are 3-4 people who didn't succeeded with that. When I got into corporate life I saw also for myself how bias big business is against non-graduates. I saw people with the degrees hired off the street just because they had a BS while others with multi-year experience couldn't get the job. I've had friends get decent jobs out of the gate just because of an MBA. I've seen my peers who didn't go working at a no-benefits job in the late 20's with no retirement started.

The entire system sucks but you'd better have a really good plan if you're going to ignore college outright. The best thing to do is to minimize the debt. But these are sometimes 18 year old kids the government and whomever is throwing money at. How many of us can honestly say we were financially literate at 18. Hindsight is easy.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That's what my grandfather told me also. He said if you can't pay cash you don't buy it. In today's world, that does not work. Look at the price of homes, cars etc. Almost no one has that much cash to buy these items. People that do impulse buying are the ones that never get out of debt. The one's that need the newest cell phone, newest and biggest TV etc. I would rather take on a mortgage on a home than rent an apartment all my life because I'm afraid of debt. Debt can be your friend as much as your enemy, it just depends on the individual.
I agree to buy a home, you need to borrow money, but you also need a down payment, so you have to be able to save some money to do that in the first place. You get a tax deduction and an appreciating asset. That makes more sense than renting generally for anyone. A car is a different story, it is a depreciating asset. Buy a car you can afford and pay cash, take care of it. Borrowing money for a car is a lifestyle choice, not something you need to do, that is a fallacy. Its another way to be upside down, by owning a car and owing more than it is worth.

Debt is mostly like a mouse trap, the cheese looks good at first:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree to buy a home, you need to borrow money, but you also need a down payment, so you have to be able to save some money to do that in the first place. You get a tax deduction and an appreciating asset. That makes more sense than renting generally for anyone. A car is a different story, it is a depreciating asset. Buy a car you can afford and pay cash, take care of it. Borrowing money for a car is a lifestyle choice, not something you need to do, that is a fallacy. Its another way to be upside down, by owning a car and owing more than it is worth.

Debt is mostly like a mouse trap, the cheese looks good at first:)
We can throw examples out there until we are blue in the face. You do what you believe in, and what happens, happens. Some believe in the stock market, others real estate. Whatever floats your boat.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
you can't borrow your way out of debt,

Borrowing to consume and borrowing to invest can have completely different outcomes. When you find people that have become wealthy either through their wages (e.g. medical doctor), starting a business, or by investing (e.g. real estate), oftentimes they have used debt along the way.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I know it's expensive to live in NYC or SF, but this is a spending issue for many people. Thye just can't live within their salary.

upload_2020-2-16_19-57-2.png

Nearly 1 in 3 American workers run out of money before payday—even those earning over $100,000

Reactions: _Del_ and RemoAZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad