OT: The Arizona Coyotes Lounge XV - Loop 202 IS OPEN!!!!!!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Is this just extreme pragmatism, though? No interest in the driving experience? Speaking of horsepower, responsiveness, handling and in short; fun.
You can have fun with small things.
My Golf has about 75 hp but i always try to make a perfect start at each light.
And when i see that a big new shiny SUV is slower than me i always get a smile on my face.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
Is this just extreme pragmatism, though? No interest in the driving experience? Speaking of horsepower, responsiveness, handling and in short; fun.

their 4cyl is decent as far as speed and acceleration goes. i mean, it is a 4cyl. better gas mileage than a 6. i recommended a 4 simply due to the gas mileage. standard transmissions are cheaper to fix and maintain and you can get better mpg depending on how you drive. the camry is a sedan, larger than the corolla, but they are pretty fun to drive and seem to handle really well. but certainly not a sports car.

i generally make recommendations based of a few factors. not all may fit your situation, however. you just said sedan and have a price. but.... i personally want a car that will last 100k+ miles trouble free, good gas mileage, easy to repair, parts readily available, then last is price.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I bought my current car (2013 Elantra) back in 2012. Almost exactly 7 years ago. I bought it brand new. It now has 39,113 miles. That’s 5,588 miles per year. As a result, I’m not terribly worried about fuel economy.

I’m looking for a car with a decent reputation for reliability, that is comfortable for a 6’1 210lb man, is safe for my two small children, and is actually a little fun to drive (I actually think that a powerful and responsive vehicle helps with safety, but that’s another story).

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
I bought my current car (2013 Elantra) back in 2012. Almost exactly 7 years ago. I bought it brand new. It now has 39,113 miles. That’s 5,588 miles per year. As a result, I’m not terribly worried about fuel economy.

I’m looking for a car with a decent reputation for reliability, that is comfortable for a 6’1 210lb man, is safe for my two small children, and is actually a little fun to drive (I actually think that a powerful and responsive vehicle helps with safety, but that’s another story).

you’re back to the camry for most of that. being fun to drive is something you’d need to experience yourself.

Hyundai Elantra vs. Toyota Camry Specs

Last edited:

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like the Corolla a little more than the Camry. Good luck finding a used one though. They are very good cars so people hang on to them.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
(I actually think that a powerful and responsive vehicle helps with safety, but that’s another story).

It absolutely does. The STi I mentioned above stopped so quickly it saved me when someone sped across from a side aisle in a parking lot. I screamed like a little girl because I thought I was gonna get crunched.

And just yesterday, my Hyundai Kona enabled me to get around someone who tried to do a u turn on a side street without considering whether there was someone behind. That pull over, stop, no signal, u turn maneuver that so often results in a t bone

Reactions: Edenjung

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Toyotas run forever. But because they are good cars, it's hard to find a used one at a discount as stated a few posts up. Try places that sell former rentals but it really won't cost you much more to get a new one. If I wasn't in the auto maintenance business, I'd never have bought a Toyota. They are just more reliable and consistently have more miles on them.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
Toyotas run forever. But because they are good cars, it's hard to find a used one at a discount as stated a few posts up. Try places that sell former rentals but it really won't cost you much more to get a new one. If I wasn't in the auto maintenance business, I'd never have bought a Toyota. They are just more reliable and consistently have more miles on them.

i wouldn’t recommend former rentals because they get trashed. some of those have shady history and you’ll never know until you try and get insurance on it. i would also never go to drivetime, car fax or a buy here/pay here place.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
So this is how i drove my Golf IV for about 2 Weeks without noticing :ha:
upload_2019-5-12_22-16-7.png

When i changed my tires yesterday my father mentioned that we look at the exhaust.
And yeah we couldn't get a new exhaust so we asked a friend if he could enforce the silencer.
He did wonderful work.

upload_2019-5-12_22-18-43.png

And then we atached the silencer to the cat and now it looks like this.

IMG_20190512_111844.jpg

Good thing i have to go to the TÜV in a year and not this year. So i have enough time to get a new exhaust.
But i drove 249Km with this Mcgyver/ A-Team solution and it works just fine :D

Attachments

• IMG_20190512_111844.jpg
    IMG_20190512_111844.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: RemoAZ and MIG

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I know I'm way late to this thread, but here are my comments on the last few (and current) cars I've had (have) that may help those exploring options...
  • 2005 Buick Lacrosse - bought as an auction car (FWD), but had to dump a fair amount of money into it. I still have it and it's my tertiary car at the moment (it also has 237k miles, so I don't think it will last more than a year or so-thus I'm looking for something else)
  • 2005 BMW 325xi - Another auction car (it was my secondary and was going to be my main); luckily I didn't have to dump too much into it. I only had it for a few months. I liked the power (inline 6) and it drove well (AWD) at...umm...higher speeds. I liked it (and may go with one to replace the Buick)
  • 2017 Volvo S60 - Current lease (primary) car (expiring in July). Mine's FWD but is also a T6. Decent power and handling. I was considering buying it until I found out that my buyout was $3000 more than its value (they have changed the body style, so the value went down). I've only put 26k on it in 3 years and no major problems (knock on wood).
  • Kia Optima - I can't remember the exact year, but it was probably either 2004 or 2005. Was a decent car (6 cyl), but started having problems around 80k (I bought it used). Good car for the value, but mechanics couldn't figure out how to fix it to my satisfaction (it was a weird brake issue), so I ended up trading it in.
  • Most recent purchase - 2017 Alpha Romeo Giulia (Base model not one of the "supercars") with under 7k. Found it for a good price (compared to the other types of cars I was looking at--mainly a BMW or Mercedes). Love the performance and handling, although it doesn't have everything I wanted (mainly navigation and a CD player). It's my secondary at the moment, and I'm hoping to keep it that way once I turn in the Volvo (if I can find a reliable day-to-day). Yes, I will be opening up a savings account this summer to put money in for when it will inevitably require a pricey repair (I'm hoping to keep it at least 10 years). Definitely a fun car that gets you to 60 rather quickly.
With the above shared, if you're open to it, I'd take a look at one of the Buick Sedans for day-to-day use (I may look at them too if I don't find what I'm sort of looking for--a BMW 325 or X3). I like the size and options on Buicks (mine was just abused and poorly maintained--I think of it as a rescue). Repairs are more affordable as well.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

rt

May 13, 2004
I noticed some surprisingly decent prices on the well-equipped 310hp version of the Lacrosse. Nice thing is that the old-timers driving those things seem to put very few miles on them. I actually like old-man cars, as I stated earlier. I'm 34 going on 64.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I noticed some surprisingly decent prices on the well-equipped 310hp version of the Lacrosse. Nice thing is that the old-timers driving those things seem to put very few miles on them. I actually like old-man cars, as I stated earlier. I'm 34 going on 64.

Want to know a dirty secret in Arizona used car purchasing?

Estate sales in Sun City.

You can get cars for absurdly low prices with absurdly low miles, kept generally in good shape. Only real worry is vapor lock from the cars never exceeding 25mph.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
If you are going to consider Buick, I'd also look at Cadillac. Great deals on slightly used 2-year old XTS (14 Best Big Luxury Sedans - Top Full Size Luxury Cars, Ranked), or a CT6 (slightly higher priced) which makes the list of best cars to own for tall people (https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-for-tall-people).

I know some might knock GM quality, but my dad and granddad both owned numerous Cadillacs and always had good experiences.
Cadillacs were also on my list, but I never did find one that I really liked.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
If you are going to consider Buick, I'd also look at Cadillac. Great deals on slightly used 2-year old XTS (14 Best Big Luxury Sedans - Top Full Size Luxury Cars, Ranked), or a CT6 (slightly higher priced) which makes the list of best cars to own for tall people (https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-for-tall-people).

I know some might knock GM quality, but my dad and granddad both owned numerous Cadillacs and always had good experiences.

they must have owned older models? gm quality has gone downhill a lot.

Last edited:

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
Want to know a dirty secret in Arizona used car purchasing?

Estate sales in Sun City.

You can get cars for absurdly low prices with absurdly low miles, kept generally in good shape. Only real worry is vapor lock from the cars never exceeding 25mph.

well, not really. vapor lock can occur in carbureted cars and the issue is with the fuel system overheating, not from lack of driving a vehicle. no issue with modem fuel injection because they moved the fuel pump away from the engine. no evaporated fuel = no vapor lock.

however, there are a lot of problems can arise from buying a car that’s barely been driven, especially here in az. fluids need to be pump through the systems, bushings need to be used and cared for, etc. unfortunately, cars that are rarely driven can also be rarely cared for. that is a huge caveat when buying a car from an elderly person.

rt

May 13, 2004
well, not really. vapor lock can occur in carbureted cars and the issue is with the fuel system overheating, not from lack of driving a vehicle. no issue with modem fuel injection because they moved the fuel pump away from the engine. no evaporated fuel = no vapor lock.

however, there are a lot of problems can arise from buying a car that’s barely been driven, especially here in az. fluids need to be pump through the systems, bushings need to be used and cared for, etc. unfortunately, cars that are rarely driven can also be rarely cared for. that is a huge caveat when buying a car from an elderly person.
I drive my car every day but I only put 5k mi/yr on it. I just don't drive far.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
I drive my car every day but I only put 5k mi/yr on it. I just don't drive far.

That statement is really making me think that I should just sell my car, bank the money, and get a low mi. lease.

if you drive it every day, change the fluids and do regular maintenance, then you’re food.

imo, leasing is just throwing money away. you hardly get a return on your investment. some people like leasing because they always want the newest and latest options.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->