The Antti Niemi Appreciation Thread

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Yeah that's how I feel.

I'm hoping they don't trade for the cremated remains of Cam Ward. With Lack being sent to Carolina, you would think one of their guys are on the way out. I'd much rather Khudobin, Ward has been awful for 3 or 4 years now.

I'm kind of worried about the goaltending situation now. It needs to be an upgrade to Niemi, or at least someone as good. All that's available at this point are question marks and guys that are finished, like Cam Ward.

Khudobin was traded to Anaheim.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
He worked hard, did his best, and didn't complain. A real solid player.

I wish him the best, unless he plays against the Sharks.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Sorry we never got the Chants going for you. Maybe your name was just to close to Nabby and the fans just couldn't do it. You had big shoes to fill as far as fan favorites go and being a goalie didn't help :laugh:

Go Luck Nemo!

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I remember hearing early on in his tenure with the Sharks was that the d and forwards felt like they were playing for Niemi, not with. That was big coming from Nabokov, who could be kind of demanding to his skaters. Niemi was apparently very well liked and worked his tail off.

His style was ugly as all hell, but he got it done. He was sharp his Vezina finalist season, but other than that, he was pretty adequate.

Wishing him the best, but it was time to move on.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Khudobin was traded to Anaheim.

Didn't even know that until I read this post. I'm way behind I guess. I didn't even find out about Niemi's rights to Dallas until close to 12 hours after it happened.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
I think Niemi is the most underrated goalie in Sharks history. He didn't have the career of Nabby here, and didn't have the highlights of Irbe, but he was pretty damn solid despite a defense with glaring holes in it.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Good deal for Niemi. I am guessing the the number of options relative to the teams needing goaltenders meant that Niemi had to take a discount...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad