The anti-overreaction thread

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Why oh why are posters calling the new ownership meddlesome???? Where is the evidence to this?

They fired Burke because they are his boss and that is thier responsibility. Why they did it is for speculators and rumor mongers.

They like Burke so they can't understand the justification for firing him.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
It's not that fact that they wear suits, its the attitude they bring to the ACC. They sit quietly in the best seats in the house, focusing very little on the game, instead talking to clients or texting away on their phones. They usually get these tickets for free from their corporations, and do not value them as much as a passionate fan would. They make little to no noise, and they take their time getting back to their seats after an intermission, showing you that they care much less than we do about the outcome of the game. The ACC is probably the worst arena in lower bowl attendance immediately after an intermission. Watch it next time and notice how many empty seats there are.

Despite Toronto having the best hockey fans in the world, our arena is far form hostile, loud, or in any way intimidating, and it's their fault. I remember one game I was at the ACC, they showed a rowdy fan in the lower bowl just passionately cheering and dancing, and behind him you see two suits who are inferiorly looking at him like "eww, what an idiot.." while they sit with their legs crossed and eating sushi.

Except for the suits of course! Perhaps they show no interset because of the inferior product on the ice can be very boring and frustrating to watch. What do you want them to do...take off thier shirts and paint themselves blue???
If you win the fans will cheer!

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
No,we would have taken Courturier(SP?),even better.

The Canucks would jump Hamilton for Luongo right now.

Nobody has any clue who we would have taken.. Or finished. In 2009, no Kessel 24th place finish. Adding him we finished 29th. You just never know

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
What the Leafs need is a Ken Dryden type to play middle man between the suits and the hockey ops. Dryden knew the game and loved the political dealings and the way you have to massage the suits and kiss ass.

The Leafs were good with him and Quinn where Quinn had to report to Dryden although they had a frosty relationship it allowed Dryden to smooth the message to the board instead of letting another stubbord Irish ***** just like Burke make board presentations.

Burke needed a middle man to soften the message and be a go between and he never had that with the new board.

Pat Quinn never reported to Ken Dryden. The two men hated each other. When Quinn became GM of the team he had it written into his contract that he reported directly to Steve Stavro.

At the time Stavro was the majority owner of the team. His minority partners were the TD Bank, Larry Tannenbaum and the Teacher's Pension Plan. The MLSE Board only became a problem years later when Stavro had to sell his shares of the company to the Teacher's Pension Plan in order to take care of financial troubles he had with other areas of his business.

The point? The most success the Leafs have had during the past 20 years was when Quinn was GM/Coach and reported directly (without any corporate interference) to the majority owner. Quinn had the freedom to shape the team as he saw fit and only had to justify his moves to the majority owner.

R McD

Jun 21, 2010
The GTA.
The "middling' aspect of ownership that people are worried about is the fact that, George Cope, CEO of Bell allegedly didn't like Burke. Didn't like his attitude, didn't like the way he presented himself, hell he didn't even like the way he wore his tie. The fact that Burke was fired not for his poor performance, which is a illegitimate concern, but for his character. Because George Cope, a man who knows jack **** about hockey didn't like him. That is worrisome. Firing your GM right before the ****ing season starts, that's worrisome. The fact that this team, in case some of you don't realize has a horrible, dark history of having owners **** everything up, that worrisome.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
I bolded the parts that proved my point. The first part shows envy and the second part demonstrates how you lump them all into one category. A lot of time they are late coming back to their seats because they are in the platinum lounge, probably finishing a drink that they arent allowed to take back to their seat and are likely watching the game from the tunnel or one of the many tv's until they are finished.

I show envy? I don't know how you got that... :laugh: I am happy with my life and I am not in the least bit a materialistic person. Sure it would be nice to be rich, but I am in no way jealous or envious of other people's success.

And I'm not the first person to notice this. It is widely accepted that the ACC's lower bowl has become a hotbed for apathetic suits who do not appreciate being there as much as the more hardcore fans in the upper seats. It's unfortunate that prices are so ridiculously high that the average hardcore fan cannot financially afford to be in the lower bowl.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Except for the suits of course! Perhaps they show no interset because of the inferior product on the ice can be very boring and frustrating to watch. What do you want them to do...take off thier shirts and paint themselves blue???
If you win the fans will cheer!

I want them to be loud! Look at Montreal, despite how bad the team is, the Bell Centre is never anything but loud. And it goes like that for most of the NHL markets. It is not reliant on team success, but fan passion.

Leaf Nation has that, and you can tell by how well we travel. We are very loud in Ottawa, Montreal, Florida, Tampa, places where only our hardcore fans make the journey to attend on the road. It's just generally speaking, the hardcore fans have been priced out of the ACC's lower bowl.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Why do you hate suits who go to hockey games? Are you just jealous or envious about people more successful than yourself?

No, not really. I personally just hate when lamers in any trade think that they are experts and have power to make decision based on that false self-conviction.

How many of these people on the board have degree in sport management and any experience in hockey specifically? Were they interviewed for the jobs as for any other position in any industry and got their assignments based on experience and what was their track-records in hockey?

Could you point to us their biography pages so we can fully and objectively evaluate them btw?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
They like Burke so they can't understand the justification for firing him.

Not true, I liked Burke but can completely understand why he was fired.

And I suspect that many of those complaining are also those who were complaining about Burke three days ago. This just gives them something new to complain about which is, after all, what the majority of Leafs fans do.

Kessley Snipes*

I show envy? I don't know how you got that... :laugh: I am happy with my life and I am not in the least bit a materialistic person. Sure it would be nice to be rich, but I am in no way jealous or envious of other people's success.

And I'm not the first person to notice this. It is widely accepted that the ACC's lower bowl has become a hotbed for apathetic suits who do not appreciate being there as much as the more hardcore fans in the upper seats. It's unfortunate that prices are so ridiculously high that the average hardcore fan cannot financially afford to be in the lower bowl.

You can't quantify that with anything other than a subjective belief. Thus proving my point.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
You can't quantify that with anything other than a subjective belief. Thus proving my point.

You can't quantify 90% of the things said on this site...

How can you quantify that firing Burke was bad? Or that the Leafs now have meddling owners?

But it's an observation that many have noticed, not just me. Go make a thread on the main board about the ACC and see what the majority of fans will tell you about their experiences there...

Great arena, horrible lower bowl fans.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I want them to be loud! Look at Montreal, despite how bad the team is, the Bell Centre is never anything but loud. And it goes like that for most of the NHL markets. It is not reliant on team success, but fan passion.

Leaf Nation has that, and you can tell by how well we travel. We are very loud in Ottawa, Montreal, Florida, Tampa, places where only our hardcore fans make the journey to attend on the road. It's just generally speaking, the hardcore fans have been priced out of the ACC's lower bowl.

The Upper Bowl and Lower Bowl are equally quiet.

Fans are loud in other buildings because they're on vacation or a special occurance. It can't be compared to the ACC.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The Upper Bowl and Lower Bowl are equally quiet.

Fans are loud in other buildings because they're on vacation or a special occurance. It can't be compared to the ACC.

Fans are loud because they're winning. When you're out of the running, in most cities the fans don't even showup.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
The "middling' aspect of ownership that people are worried about is the fact that, George Cope, CEO of Bell allegedly didn't like Burke. Didn't like his attitude, didn't like the way he presented himself, hell he didn't even like the way he wore his tie. The fact that Burke was fired not for his poor performance, which is a illegitimate concern, but for his character. Because George Cope, a man who knows jack **** about hockey didn't like him. That is worrisome. Firing your GM right before the ****ing season starts, that's worrisome. The fact that this team, in case some of you don't realize has a horrible, dark history of having owners **** everything up, that worrisome.

Finishing in the lottery year after year, that's worrisome. And so forth... :)

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Leaf fans in other buildings.
My bad, yeah there is alot of pride with the road crew. Plus as was said vacation, booze, we bad and this is a party type thing. So we're causing a bit o crap as well, by pissing in their cheerios.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What the Leafs need is a Ken Dryden type to play middle man between the suits and the hockey ops. Dryden knew the game and loved the political dealings and the way you have to massage the suits and kiss ass.

The Leafs were good with him and Quinn where Quinn had to report to Dryden although they had a frosty relationship it allowed Dryden to smooth the message to the board instead of letting another stubbord Irish ***** just like Burke make board presentations.

Burke needed a middle man to soften the message and be a go between and he never had that with the new board.

Yeah we basically need our own Paul Beeston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad