The Annual Top 10 Prospect List

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
i certainly don't know enough about prospect evaluation to offer a credible top ten list (then again, i guess i could just crib my list from Dobber ;)). so i offer a list of favorites, based not so much on skill or upside but rather such ephemeral traits as personality, demeanor, hilarity and intrigue:

1. Joe Morrow - he retweeted me (probably to the chagrin of Pens' brass) when i tweeted that we needed his booming shot in the lineup against the Flyers. that gesture earns a lifetime pass.

2. Beau Bennett - golden state native like yours truly. great twitter account.

3. Carl Sneep - the fascination is well documented. just run a search.

4. Scott Harrington - the kind of defensemen Clausewitz would put out on the ice.

5. Ben Hanowski - that beard.

6. Tom Kühnhackl - that umlaut. this spot is reserved for sons/descendants of great players anyways and Tom has Philip Samuelsson and the now departed Andy Bathgate beat.

7. Anton Zlobin - memorial cup hero. future Malkin borscht-buddy?

8. Derrick Pouliot - more controversial than putting hot sauce on your english muffins or a few drops of maple syrup in your scrambled eggs.

9. Olli Määttä - more umlauts than you can shake a stick at.

10. Reid McNeill - unsung. seriously, who is this guy? at least he's better than Joe Rogalski.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Once a player hit 25 he shouldn't even be concidered a prospect anymore, just for ranking purposes. So Strait and Sneep should fall off the list. Sneep just turned 25 and Strait will be 25 in another week or so. I know they are still in the system but by now they are what they are, not much more upside.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm glad the 2009 list got posted. It just goes to show that top 10 list aren't a guarantee to produce anything. For my money, if 3 guys in your top 10 become NHLers...then you did well. That's why I have the 3 guys I'm most confident about panning out (Morrow, Despres and Maatta) in my top 3.

It's worth noting that we had exactly one 1st rounder on that list (who has progressed very well), while the current list boasts five.

Not all top tens are created equal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->