GDT: The Annual "I've Made a Huge Mistake" Thread: Free Agent Frenzy 2015

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Daley is being massively underrated. He was asked to play a lot more offense and put up career numbers at the cost of his defense. He's always been a solid player, he can skate with anyone and can play physical. I'd love him on our team. The Hawks are in "cap hell" and currently have a better top 4 than when the season ended. He's 31 and only makes 3.3. That's good return.

Faulk is our only dman that would be viewed as better than Daley, he automatically would slot into our top pairing with Faulk. He's a better dman than Wiz IMO, though he doesn't the same kind of shot.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Daley is being massively underrated. He was asked to play a lot more offense and put up career numbers at the cost of his defense. He's always been a solid player, he can skate with anyone and can play physical. I'd love him on our team. The Hawks are in "cap hell" and currently have a better top 4 than when the season ended. He's 31 and only makes 3.3. That's good return.

Faulk is our only dman that would be viewed as better than Daley, he automatically would slot into our top pairing with Faulk. He's a better dman than Wiz IMO, though he doesn't the same kind of shot.

All good points and now that we've signed Hanifin, I believe our defense is done for all intents and purposes. There may be one more depth signing to give us a gritty PK'er on the back end (cough, cough, Tim Gleason, cough, cough). I also believe that Ronnie has been focused on getting Noah signed and likely has both trade offers and free agent offers on the table. Who knows, negotiations may be commencing as we speak...

The only comparable deal that we could have offered to the Hawks would have been something like Liles and Nash or Hainsey and Nash. We desparately need Hainsey as he and Wiz will be the cagey vets that help our young "D" going forward. So that left Liles and Nash (or maybe Malone) as the comp to that deal. GMRF doesn't want to give up valuable futures to get more competitive today. I don't believe that means he doesn't and won't continue to try and ice a more competitive team. I just think that while Sharp would have been a great piece to have for this year, he wouldn't have be great at any cost. As I said, I think what we'd have been willing to pay wasn't enticing enough to Chicago.

Oh, and by the way, Chicago is still in cap hell and still needs one more blueliner. Even if they bring up Trevor Van Riemsdyk, that still puts them something like $500K over the cap. So there's still another shoe to drop in Chi-town.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Our defense shouldn't be done, but I agree it might be at this point. I do see a Glason-esque depth vet coming. That's likely our UFA, or maybe a chance on a vet winger. I'd like to see them go after Glencross but he's gonna get paid well by someone eventually.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Ron Francis' plan, as he publicly described it soon after the season ended, involved trying to find a top 6 forward and a top 4, and ideally top pair, D for next season. That's aiming for improvement this season, as all teams should do. Sharp may have been on the pricier end, but he most definitely fits into that plan. I don't fault Francis for the fact that it didn't happen- from Chicago's PoV, I can see why they might want a guy who was very good D until recently as a guy who might return into shape over a guy who has yet to develop into that player. We couldn't offer that, and it takes two to tango. What Chicago wanted and what we had didn't align.

As for a long term strategy, no matter how many 1st overalls or high picks fall into your lap, they never win on their own. You have to build a team around them. The lets suck another year until things magically get better strategy is how the Oilers happened. Because of the utter failure of that line of thinking, this season, they have a new GM who's making lots of moves to actually try and improve the team. If you go through the draft and get 5 star players out of the deal, great! But this is hockey, and you cannot win with 5 star players. You need 18 more, those guys don't just magically appear, there's no way to improve the rest of that roster overnight.

Developing through the draft can get you some great core pieces. But it can't fill out your roster. If you want to win, you have to work every year to improve the rest of that roster, because it takes years for it to turn over.

Exactly, was actually going to post this. Some people 'round these parts are starting to sound like Oiler fans.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
yes, but i meant it more as, magic beans are swell and all, but you need some meat and potato seeds to go w/ them.

also, Stewart to the #duckmen. UFA forward list loses another.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
My memory could be failing me here, but didn't the Oilers not develop any of those picks and just immediately pencil them into the lineup?

Yep.

I have absolutely no problem developing our core internally, it's what smart teams are doing now. But fact of the matter is it's not the core that's the problem, we have literally no depth. And the best name still on the market is a tossup between Flash and Erat... ugh.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yep.

I have absolutely no problem developing our core internally, it's what smart teams are doing now. But fact of the matter is it's not the core that's the problem, we have literally no depth. And the best name still on the market is a tossup between Flash and Erat... ugh.

Fehr, Fleischmann, Upshall, Tlusty, Glencross, Peverly, and Roy.... that's not a great list although I'd love Glencross or Fehr. I think either would be solid for the Canes. But with that list it does make you wonder if there's a trade coming...

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Fehr, Fleischmann, Upshall, Tlusty, Glencross, Peverly, and Roy.... that's not a great list although I'd love Glencross or Fehr. I think either would be solid for the Canes. But with that list it does make you wonder if there's a trade coming...

A trade has been my line of thinking for a while

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Forgot about Glencross and Fehr... mostly because I've never been sold on Fehr as being anything really and Glencross was basically invisible in the playoffs. Yeah they could be good depth guys, I'm not comfortable with either in the top 6 but I'd much rather have them there then rush Tolchinsky or put Terry there.

Peverley could be semi-interesting.

Big pass on Upshall and Roy though, I think both are prettymuch done.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Forgot about Glencross and Fehr... mostly because I've never been sold on Fehr as being anything really and Glencross was basically invisible in the playoffs. Yeah they could be good depth guys, I'm not comfortable with either in the top 6 but I'd much rather have them there then rush Tolchinsky or put Terry there.

Peverley could be semi-interesting.
Peverley still has to get medical clearance but if healthy, I like his game especially his playmaking and leadership.

If there is a minor, cheap UFA F signing, to me anyway, it has to be a wing with pretty good playmaking skills, e.g., Erat or Boyes.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Most I see happening is a Skinner trade for a likely disappointing return. Something like Okposo for Skinner. Like Chip said near the Draft, if traded Skinner would likely go for a similar forward who fits Peters' system better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad