The Anatomy of an NHL Arena Deal

hockeydadx2*

nice trolling

they put the ice down because it is an open house of the arena then later they will put down the basketball surface, just showing the public what they are paying for and what it will look like when KC gets the NHL via expansion or however.

Not trolling. It's a legitimate question. I suspect not many arenas that are in cities that don't have hockey teams have an ice surface to maintain.

iceman64

Jan 5, 2007
Kansas City
Not trolling. It's a legitimate question. I suspect not many arenas that are in cities that don't have hockey teams have an ice surface to maintain.

they are just showing the versatility of the arena, they will be putting the bball floor down and then taking that up and setting up for concerts. The hopes are that KC does get a team so having the arena ready and in place is definetly a plus. More of a plus than not having one ready to go.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Nationwide Arena in Columbus

Here's some info on the arena deal/lease in Columbus:

"When voters rejected a plan to build a new NHL arena in Columbus, OH, a complex financing plan was put together to help Nationwide Insurance build a privately funded arena for the new team.

While the $150 million, 18,500-seat arena is being built by the insurance company, the county's convention authority invested $11.7 million in buying land for the arena. It will get $150,000 a year back during the arena's first 10 years, $165,000 a year back from year 11 to year 25, then $165,000 plus an inflation adjustment through the arena's 50th year.

The payments will be made from the $3 million a year the NHL Bluejackets will pay annually in lease payments. After 10 years, the team's lease grows to $3.3 million and any agreed-upon increases.

At the end of 50 years, the convention authority owns the arena unless Nationwide exercises an option to buy it."

http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/ColumbusBlueJackets/articles.htm

GHOST

GSC2k2*

Here's some info on the arena deal/lease in Columbus:

"When voters rejected a plan to build a new NHL arena in Columbus, OH, a complex financing plan was put together to help Nationwide Insurance build a privately funded arena for the new team.

While the $150 million, 18,500-seat arena is being built by the insurance company, the county's convention authority invested $11.7 million in buying land for the arena. It will get $150,000 a year back during the arena's first 10 years, $165,000 a year back from year 11 to year 25, then $165,000 plus an inflation adjustment through the arena's 50th year.

The payments will be made from the $3 million a year the NHL Bluejackets will pay annually in lease payments. After 10 years, the team's lease grows to $3.3 million and any agreed-upon increases.

At the end of 50 years, the convention authority owns the arena unless Nationwide exercises an option to buy it."

http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/ColumbusBlueJackets/articles.htm

GHOST
I wonder what the BJ's get for that $3 million. Specifically, I am wondering about the ancillary revenue streams (parking, concessions, suites, seat licenses, and most importantly non-hockey events).

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Devils' new arena

I hope Newark sees a great deal of success. Being the newest arena in the area, that alone may make it a competative venue from day one. It's location is key too...

The New Jersey Devils' Prudential Center is going to end up costing around the $500m mark. This is mainly due to all the additional surrounding construction to the arena site.

It has 1,500 or so less seats then the old digs and could be a more realistic facility. The new arena looks great, btw. It reminds me of Phoenix's and St. Paul's arenas or even the Toyota Center in Houston.

See here:

http://devils.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=MediaGalleryPlayer&galleryId=2798

For only the second home game at the brand new arena, this report by the NHL is a little disconcerting, however:

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20072008/GS020168.HTM

GHOST

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Ooh, so sneaky! I knew as soon as I saw it was about the Devils last night's attendance would come up.

Attendance everywhere sucked last night. The League may need to rethink having games on Halloween.

DevFan-RU-

Aug 28, 2006
Morristown, NJ
www.battleofny.com
It has 1,500 or so less seats then the old digs and could be a more realistic facility. The new arena looks great, btw. It reminds me of Phoenix's and St. Paul's arenas or even the Toyota Center in Houston.

See here:

http://devils.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=MediaGalleryPlayer&galleryId=2798

For only the second home game at the brand new arena, this report by the NHL is a little disconcerting, however:

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20072008/GS020168.HTM

GHOST

That's not a "report", its a game summary!

Besides... I went to the game. That's all that matters.

It was a fun time... but it was all adults. No families, no children. But those that were there still made the place loud when the Devils finally scored a damned goal! And then 5 more.

DevFan-RU-

Aug 28, 2006
Morristown, NJ
www.battleofny.com
Rub it in more there buddy. :p:

What'd you think of the arena?

I was there for both the Home Opener and last night.

I think the arena is just plain awesome. I went to a special season ticket holder event (I'm a partial plan holder), and sat in the last row of every section. So in terms of sight-lines, the place is phenomenal.

The food is also great. Hobby's deli made yummy sandwiches (they're a Newark Deli). I also love the nachos mucho grande. Except, last night they were out of beef... grrrrrr.

As for the bad... the person who runs the Arena's AV system did a poor job last night. Sound and Video was out of sync a lot (that annoys me), and just a lot of mix-ups in what to show on the big screens during TV-time outs.

And obviously, as stated before, the place was pretty empty. but even then, it was pretty loud when the Devils scored, or when Roy needed to be booed off. :)

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
MTS Center in Winnipeg was secured with $40.5M of government welfare hand-outs and without it and the land and other welfare given it, the WPeg arena would still the arena of choice in Winnipeg.

Worst $40.5M the government(s) ever spent in Winnipeg. They should contribute=1/4 of the cost when I want to build a house.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad