The Amnesty Buyout

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
So, each team can buy out two players for free =D. Starting this offseason.

Obviously Stajan comes to mind. Buy him out and sign him for a million?

Is there anyone else we might want to buyout? Jay Bouwmeester is the only one that makes any remote kind of sense. I'd rather keep him though.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
We are well under the 70 million you can have this year might as well save the two buyouts until next season and see where we are.

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
We are well under the 70 million you can have this year might as well save the two buyouts until next season and see where we are.

Stajan is in the last year of his contract next year, at that point we'd be riding him out. If we're buying him out it's this summer.

The other player to buy out, Babchuk, is a UFA this summer and the only other player, where it makes the remotest amount of sense is Bouwmeester, and I'd rather keep him.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
So, each team can buy out two players for free =D. Starting this offseason.

Obviously Stajan comes to mind. Buy him out and sign him for a million?
Not allowed under CBA rules.

Is there anyone else we might want to buyout? Jay Bouwmeester is the only one that makes any remote kind of sense. I'd rather keep him though.
Doesn't make any sense to buy out Bouwmeester, who would only have a year left on his contract this summer.

Stajan's a candidate if he can't find a place on the roster and there's no trade market for him.

After that, there's Hudler and Wideman, depending on how they perform, fit with the team, etc.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
I think with the fact now you split the salary if you trade a player, we will see a trade for Stajan instead of a buyout.

With that new rule you will see a lot more trades happening

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Cervenka, Stajan, Sarich, Stempniak, anyone. We need cap space for the 2013 UFAs...

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Save it for Hudler/Wideman. These are long term deals that have the potential to cripple our franchise if those guys flop. Stajan only has another year, not worth bothering over.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Cervenka, Stajan, Sarich, Stempniak, anyone. We need cap space for the 2013 UFAs...

Cervenka has a 1 year deal that is pointless and Sarich and Stempniak could both be traded. I would be more worried about bringing back Iginla before I worry about adding in UFA.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I think with the fact now you split the salary if you trade a player, we will see a trade for Stajan instead of a buyout.

With that new rule you will see a lot more trades happening

Calgary might be the team that could profit from this one the most, if you wanted to do a quick rebuild.

There are some good players on your team who have salaries that make them difficult to deal for a meaningful return. At the same time your owner has deep enough pockets to contribute salary and it is not likely that Calgary contends in the short term.

I know that from the point of view of the Pens for instance, guys like Iggy, Bouwmeester and Cammalleri could suddenly look a whole hell of a lot more interesting.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I'd actually trade either of those guys and eat half of their salary as part of the trade. At least then, they're still an asset...

Is this part of the new CBA? Sorry, I haven't kept up with that much.

EDIT: Just read Post 5. This seems like a dumb rule change. Is it just salary or is it also the cap hit?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

I personally like it; opens up the trading field further, makes things more interesting. It's also limited to a certain number of players per team, so you can't have the entire league on salary sharing.

I think this buyout could be interesting if used on JBo; hypothetically if they could agree to new dollars, buy him out, and then re-sign him at 1.5 mil/year less for 4-5 seasons, it could be greatly beneficial. They save some cap space, keep their best defensive dman, and don't have to worry about potential cap hell next season. Save the second amnesty buyout for Wideman or Hudler if necessary.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I personally like it; opens up the trading field further, makes things more interesting. It's also limited to a certain number of players per team, so you can't have the entire league on salary sharing.

I think this buyout could be interesting if used on JBo; hypothetically if they could agree to new dollars, buy him out, and then re-sign him at 1.5 mil/year less for 4-5 seasons, it could be greatly beneficial. They save some cap space, keep their best defensive dman, and don't have to worry about potential cap hell next season. Save the second amnesty buyout for Wideman or Hudler if necessary.

With the new rule trading Jbo is extremely easy as a team can get him as cheap as 3.3 million a season why buy him out he is worth more to trade.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008

You cant resign Jbo if you buy him out. CBA closed that loop hole

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Apparently there's a floor on amnesty buyouts - a player must have a cap hit greater than 2.75M to be eligible. If that's true, Jackman, Stempniak and Sarich are out as potential candidates.

So, it's basically down to Hudler, Wideman, or Stajan as possible targets. Bouwmeester doesn't make any sense, and frankly, it's ridiculous to even put his name forth.

Of course, I doubt the Flames owners give the green light to buyout anybody. They made it abundantly clear in the Kotalik saga when they felt that trading away assets to get rid of him was preferable to swallowing his salary.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Some points that should be considered.

- The Flames have bought one player out since the 04/05 lockout and they did so because it was a 1/3 buyout rather than a 2/3 buyout.

- Feaster has been vocal in the past about how he doesn't like going the buyout route.

- Ownership is less likely to pay player not to play since the team is not one they consider a contender.

The points above highlight my belief, which is that the Flames are unlikely to buy a player out.

Also keep in mind at the start of the last CBA there were only a very small number of players bought out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
With the new rule trading Jbo is extremely easy as a team can get him as cheap as 3.3 million a season why buy him out he is worth more to trade.

Hey, Pens fan here, not trolling. I was the one who noticed the clause yesterday about trading cap space, and I think yours is the team that really could benefit from it IF you went rebuild before the deadline:

J-Bo is on the books at 6.6M for this year and next. Not much trade value there, especially with the cap at 64.3M next year. BUT, what if Feaster ate 50% of the cap/payroll hit? What is J-Bo for the balance of this year and then next year at 3.3M worth to a contending team? IMO, at that number, Feaster gets bidders lining up and you get back a sweet return.

Same goes for Cammallerri at 6M. No thanks at that number. At 3M, totally different story.

Kipper could be an interesting situation. Not sure how much he's got left in the tank, but if he were open to a move, then putting him out there at 2.9125M would get a boat load of interest.

Even Sarich . . . maybe get a below middling prospect at 2M. At 1M, he's got value to any playoff team IMO.

The rule is that you only can have three contracts like this on your books at any given time. And, you only can use 15% of your upper limit in cap money retained in trade (9.6M total for 2013-2014).

IMO, if you say 'we're going to rebuild' and you're willing to have 9.6M in dead space for 2013-2014, then IMO you could really, really accelerate the process (a real dark horse for 2014-2015 maybe) putting guys like J-Bo, Cammy, and Kipper out there at or near half cap hits.

At those prices, those three guys would be the hottest deadline commodities this year.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I wonder, let's say a team used up both their buyouts. So as a trade they trade a 3rd player they wanted to buy out, to a team with a buyout left and then that team buys them out for a price, prospect, pick, whatever. Is this a possible scenario?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder, let's say a team used up both their buyouts. So as a trade they trade a 3rd player they wanted to buy out, to a team with a buyout left and then that team buys them out for a price, prospect, pick, whatever. Is this a possible scenario?

Sure is. Maybe not intended. But, if you've got the money, sure, there's no clause prohibiting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad