Prospect Info: The Americans Are Coming - Canes Should Look at US Prospects

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Probably a little early for a thread like this but with the turning of the calendar year, I thought it would be interesting to look at a few potential draft picks for the Canes. Given that I believe we'll be picking in the 10-15 range and then again in the 25-30 range (thank you LA for being good again), let's face it we're not going to get either of the big Finns unless a lottery miracle happens. The Canes are also unlikely to land "top of the heap" prospect Auston Matthews or next best US skater, Matthew Tkachuk. That said, there are some very interesting forwards nearly all of whom are U.S. kids.

Far and away, my favorite option today would be Max Jones. He's listed as a 6'3" 200 pound winger that plays a prototypical power forward's game. He's got great speed, a wicked shot, and, best of all, plays a rough and tumble style. Despite this he's also got a sweet pair of hands. Currently he's ranked all over the Top 30 (even missing from a couple) and may not be there when we take our 1st round pick. Still I like him in the range where we should be picking. It is interesting to note that he can be a "hot head" and takes quite a few penalties, but most attribute that to his physical style of play.

Another interesting "Yank" is the 6'1" 195 lbs. Kieffer Bellows. This center/left wing who plays on the US National U18 Team is something of a goal scoring machine. He currently sits with 24 goals in 27 games and has 40 points overall. Known for his slick skating moves and his "goal scorer's shot" he already has two championships to his credit (USHL and MN state high school). His father was the 2nd overall pick when he was drafted.

Currently playing for University of Wisconsin, Luke Kunin is showing Top 30 prospect promise. He has a hard, accurate shot, but the 6' 200 lbs. Kunin is showing some serious upside when it comes to dishing the puck. As a side note he's friends with Matthew Tkachuk and played well with him in the US all prospects game.

Born in the US and with Raleigh connections Logan Brown has really come into his own this year. At 6'6" and 220 lbs. he's definitely a force. He has an outstanding shot and, as one would expect, terrific puck possession skills. He'a also developing a very good defensive game. With 31 points in 27 games, he's a name to remember when the Hurricanes pick.

Probably best described as "diminutive", Alex DeBrincat is also labeled a pure goal scorer. the 5'7" 170 lbs. DeBrincat currently has 33 goals and 23 assists for the Erie Otters. The 2014-15 OHL Rookie of the Year scored 54 goals last season. As a kid who played with Connor McDavid last season he has learned how to make plays at speed. He's also not afraid of the "dirty areas" despite his size.

The 5'10", 170 lbs. Clayton Keller is another smallish player trying to lay claim to the next Patrick Kane mantel. Probably known more for his passing skills that his shot, Keller is very good at both. Both he and Kieffer Bellows are committed to Boston Univ. for next season. That's going to be a powerful offensive combo.

There are a couple of other "non-Americans" I'd love for us to chase, the fast rising, all-around excellent two-way player Michael McLeod would be a great get for this team. The next Nylander in line, Alexander Nylander is proving at the WJC that he's as good or better than his sibling. Either of the two high scoring forwards from the Q, Pierre-Luc Dubois or Julien Gauthier would add the type of scoring prowess needed in the Canes prospect stable.

All in all it is a great year to have a couple of 1st round picks if, as the Hurricanes so desperately do, you need a scoring forward prospect or two.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I've enjoyed watching McLeod and Nylander in Missisauga this year. Both guys will likely end up going in the latter stages of the top ten.

Another American I'm interested in keeping an eye on in the mid rounds of the draft is Tim Gettinger of the soo greyhounds.

Last edited:

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Yeah I think I said in a different thread I'm a big fan of Jones but he's probably going to fall outside their picks unless the Canes make a good push in the second half

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
About the only chance we get Jones is if we finish in that dreaded 9th-10th East type range this year.

Really liking the idea of Laine or Pulujarvi with our pick (if it's that high) and Bellows or Brown with the LA one.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Scanning the ratings Max Jones is a bit all over the board but mid-teens seems to be current consensus:

Hockeyprospect.com's November ranking has Jones ranked 18th
ISS December ranking has him ranked at 6th
Future Considerations December list has him leveled at 15th
McKeens December ranking puts him at 17th

DraftSite's mock draft currently has him going 10th to Arizona (for what it's worth they've got us picking Olli Juolevi, another defender at 8th and Sam Steel, a center with the LA pick at 20th)

I just like Jones' style of play and think he's way more skilled than some give him credit for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad