The American women are upset over Canada's stats padding

Status
Not open for further replies.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
Freudian said:
I was being honest. I am used to homerism by reading this board but this issue has even more homerism than the usual NHL talk. You guys would argue the same way if Lacrosse found it's way into the Olympics (and Swedes if Bandy was an Olympic sport). Everyone likes Olympic medals and don't really care what crappy sport they get them in. So congrats to the gold. If you can't see the utter uselessness of the sport after watching the games, nothing will open your eyes.

And yes, I would argue the same way whenever a two horse race is suggested Olympic entry.

Did you even read what you responded to?

cc

Feb 28, 2002
while women's hockey is an olympic sport, I believe no one team should be picking up any bad habits playing down to their level of opposition. IMO, they should be playing their best at all times to keep their good habits up to carry on to the gold medal game. The scores are unfortunate, but teams should just worry about their own play and concentrate on playing well, rather than be concerned about how good or bad other teams are.

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
Bileur said:
So who invented it? the coaches, the players? Who? Is it so unbeleivable? I dont think so, its a rivalry.

Yes to me it is, and since I think it's 100% false I honestly don't think the players or coaches would make something like that up. I want to think they have more class than that, on both sides. Yes, it's a rivalry, a good one, but something like that is so disrespectful and I truly don't believe they'd get down to that level. I think it's completely bogus.

Le Maroons

Sep 15, 2005
Ottawa
cc said:
while women's hockey is an olympic sport, I believe no one team should be picking up any bad habits playing down to their level of opposition. IMO, they should be playing their best at all times to keep their good habits up to carry on to the gold medal game. The scores are unfortunate, but teams should just worry about their own play and concentrate on playing well, rather than be concerned about how good or bad other teams are.
I agree. Although Canada could have beat Italy 25-0. I wonder how Italy will do vs. the Canadian's mens team.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Jovanovski = Norris said:
These players (from Russia and Italy) are professionals and the elites from every nation.

Professionals? I dont think it's their livelihood.

But yeah it probably should not be an olympic sport, or at least they should drop the weaker teams before the olympics. Maybe some sort of qualifying outside the olympics and then 6 teams in the games...Canada, USA, Finland, Sweden....switzerland maybe? who else?

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Metallian said:
Either way it'll be Canada vs. USA in the finals, theres no reason to run up the score.

That's not a guarantee and it's up to the other teams to stop Canada. This is what sports is about, you play your best all the time.

Kfarschman

...Boomers in disguise
Feb 12, 2006
Deutschdorf, Ohio
www.facebook.com
It is all ridiculous. Canada and U.S's domination is just ridiculous. Look at the shot totals!! Canada and U.S. dominate so hard I couldn't imagine what it's like to be on the opposing team during an atrocity like the games have been. The Swiss had a great goaltender, if not U.S. would have beaten Switzerland 16-0 or worse, too. What is like to have 9 shots (mostly dump in shots) and the annoucers say that it's good that your giving the U.S. goaltender alot of work!? Or to be scored on when your on a 5 on 3?! Or to look at the scoreboard after 20 minutes and be down 6-0 and be happy and continue to play with any heart!? Or, in Italy's case, know you have absolutely, not even the slightest, not even in their biggest dream the ability to even score one goal!?

I don't think it's Canada's fault and the Canadian player I don't think was mad at her team for "running up" the score, but mad that this is what is considered olympic level competition. Hopefully it gets better, but I don't know.

I think the Canadian and American women are extremely talanted and love watching them (I wish they allowed checking, I don't get that?) but it's hard to stomach or cheer for them when it's so one-sided. Maybe they should have a 10 goal slaughter rule at least, but that doesn't change the fact that the other team can't even control the puck for more than 2 seconds before losing it, getting it stolen, or making a horrible pass. It's like an NHL team vs. a college or Junior team but probably even worse.

sbutler66

Feb 25, 2004
Jovanovski = Norris said:
There are not many Olympic sports for which only males or females compete exclusively. If there is a men's hockey, there will be a women's hockey. It is as simple as that.

Ski Jumping. There is no competition because the world standard for female Ski Jumping is not high enough, it's not competitive and doesn't deserve to be in the olympics. The gap in womens hockey is huge after the USA and Canadian teams, it needs to be addressed before 2010.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
I heard today that the Canadian coach told her goalie to stop the puck and slow down the play as much as possible on dump-ins to let the Italians get line changes and rest. THAT is sportsmanship without ceasing to play your best.

How about Sweden beating Italy 11-0? I'm actually embarassed that Canada only beat Italy 16-0 if Sweden can beat them by 5 less goals. Where are the whiners now?

Goal differential is important, per Olympic rules, and home-ice is important. If anyone here can't understand that, what are you doing on a hockey board? You clearly don't understand the rules or the importance of small advantages like home-ice.

Are people going to complain when Canada's men beat Italy by some obscene score on Wednesday? They better not. There is stiffer competition on the men's side and they need all the goals they can get, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->