GDT: The Amazing Schneiderman Returns! ECQF Game 3 - Lightning @ Devils, 7:30 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It was weird. PP wasn’t good, but a big 5 on 3 goal (which we struggled with all year) got us into the game.

The PK struggled but a giant kill helped us win the game.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
That line was pretty ineffective. No idea what Wood did though unless Hynes simply felt the other lines were looking better and shortened the bench.

I think nothing wrong, just the special teams, and short leash moment for Wood (which i think is good). I like Wood, but he isn't nearly as solid as he could be, defensively. He's got the wheels to catchup on his mistakes but that doesn't lend very well in tight games. He had no time to get in the lineup when we were on PP and PK for a good chunk of the game.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
We were down below in a Suite but for a change they actually were loud. It sounded like thunder coming down from the top. It was great

ya, just saying this place would put smashville to shame if it werent for the building design.

devs fans are wayyyyyy underrated.

its ok tho, we know what we have here.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That line was pretty ineffective. No idea what Wood did though unless Hynes simply felt the other lines were looking better and shortened the bench.

It wasn't just Wood though...everyone's object of loathing Boyle only played 5:48 as well. Stafford played 10:41 but 5:11 of that was on the PP :amazed: The entire fourth line was marginalized more than normal, for obvious reasons.

OTOH Zajac played freaking 24:23 (half of that on special teams), and Hall at 22:45 (9:11 on the PP).

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Don't think the coach should make any lineup changes unless there is a reason to (health/injury, etc.)...... for Game 4.

I think the PK getting torn apart at will, and Stafford contributing nothing, is a pretty good reason to get Gibbons back in the lineup. If not Gibbons, then Grabner.

Personally, were I king, I'd bench Stafford and Boyle (who played like 5 minutes) to get BOTH those guys in the lineup specifically for PK work.

Reactions: nugg

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Mojo's impact was immediate, I thought. It's almost bizarre how good he is at zone entries with little to no room. More than that, he naturally has poise with the puck that all young players can learn from.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and glenwo2

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It wasn't just Wood though...everyone's object of loathing Boyle only played 5:48 as well. Stafford played 10:41 but 5:11 of that was on the PP :amazed: The entire fourth line was marginalized more than normal, for obvious reasons.

OTOH Zajac played freaking 24:23...zoinks.

Zajac earned every minute he got. Honestly he should have been the third star.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Yeah but our ES play was much better with Mojo and Stafford in the lineup.

Stafford was fine tonight.

People should be more pissed at Vatanen having an off game (and Palms). I'm a huge Vat's fan, but he is now looking legit tired. Pucks (not just by him) were in players skates behind for a lot of passes tonight. Team was able to recover the transition, but it could have gone badly if the bounce went the other way a few times.

Palms is making a lot of strange decisions when he tries to force a rush over the blueline. He needs to calm down the bulldog over the blueline move, because he keeps running into about 2 forecheckers and the puck goes the other way. This team was fortunate a little bit tonight the fast breaks got contained by the time most of them reached inside our blueline.

Don't think the coach should make any lineup changes unless there is a reason to (health/injury, etc.)...... for Game 4.
@Aethon

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Yeah...I'm fine with leaning on the top three lines.

Depending on how deep we go, perfecting the combination on the fourth line is going to be an ongoing project. Should we make it to the next round and Boyle doesn't improve all that much, might not be so bad to sit him in a game one just to see what happens.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Huge comeback win.
Hall showed the playoffs audience that he's the MVP.

Kudos to Cory though I'm concerned that he tweaked an existing injury.

Dirty spear by Hedman

TBL tried to goon it up late and we didn't let them gain an edge.
Good by Boyle having a word with Sergachev.

Outstanding home ice environment and crowd.

Sea of red aside from those 5 empty front row seats behind the goal we defend twice (can that corporation give them away next game? )
I was watching that also. He may have tweaked it as you say but he came back out and played great.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I think the PK getting torn apart at will, and Stafford contributing nothing, is a pretty good reason to get Gibbons back in the lineup. If not Gibbons, then Grabner.

Personally, were I king, I'd bench Stafford and Boyle (who played like 5 minutes) to get BOTH those guys in the lineup specifically for PK work.

After that last Sergachev thing, I doubt Boyle will be out.. :cool:

But i see your point, I don't agree 100% but i agree to some extent.....I just don't know if you mess around. The 5 on 5 was better tonight. I would be afraid we'd end up with a black hole again with Grabner on ES. I like the guy too in this short time, just i don't want to mess with the formulae unless needed.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
A ton of special teams time too, that's another reason why the fourth line played so little at even strength. Barely half the game was played at 5-on-5 factoring in the 12 PP's and the four-on-four.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Lol

IMG_20180417_002100.jpg

saw it live……wondered what the hell?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Mojo’s return at least introduced a secondary threat even if he didn’t score.

Also Tampa doesn’t really have an answer for Hall. 3 points, tied for the team lead with 6 shots on goal.

PK along with dumb mistakes have been the team’s downfall. Nothing else really. They cut down the mistakes tonight and it showed.

If they can find some kind of groove with the Pk (or just stay out of the box) they absolutely can win this series. PP needs to be better too.

Reactions: glenwo2

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
If they can find some kind of groove with the Pk (or just stay out of the box) they absolutely can win this series. PP needs to be better too.

We've been outplaying Tampa for the last 4 periods. They keep that up and this version of Schneider sticks around and this series could get very interesting.

I feel bad for Kinkaid because we wouldn't be here without him, but Schneider has a higher ceiling, and we'll need every bit of it.

Reactions: glenwo2

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
Mojo’s return at least introduced a secondary threat even if he didn’t score.

Also Tampa doesn’t really have an answer for Hall. 3 points, tied for the team lead with 6 shots on goal.

PK along with dumb mistakes have been the team’s downfall. Nothing else really. They cut down the mistakes tonight and it showed.

I actually think TB has done a good job at playing Hall. I just think he is in such a zone that there is only so much you can do. Hall was freaking drenched after the Noesen goal. It looked like he had just ran 3 marathons.

I also think TB has done a very good job at preventing us from breaking out of the zone smoothly which is one of the reasons we have looked slow for a lot of the series.

That being said, we have essentially done the same thing to them. We've contained their top guys as much as you can with their skill and kept them from skating circles around us for the most part. It really has just been massive breakdowns for a second and the PK that have been the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad