OT: The Alternative History Thread

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
My other question would have been "what gets built around that big, lonely football stadium in the first 10 years?", especially considering what happened to the economy in that time...(or "what if the Coyotes go to Los Arcos, and the Cardinals never acquire Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald?")
What if the Cardinals moved to Tempe, and not Glendale (as originally planned)?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Coyotes win the Wings series if Doan doesn't get hurt even with Bryz being a basket case. After that I think Bryz still lets them down but it would be interesting. Also breaks the first round curse 2 years earlier which I imagine changes some things in terms of how they handle the offseasons.

Are we disappointed because Strome busts at some point or because no McEichel? I think the answer is no either way.

Assuming Merkley and Hill bust, which is a solid assumption for picks after 20-25 or so, the Coyotes can't come out of tank season part 1 with only one useful player from the draft.
McBarzal :)

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The Coyotes would be an expansion team if an NHL team was part of the original America West Arena without having any obstructed seats.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The Coyotes don't even exist because the 1974 expansion bid is approved for Phoenix, in place of either Washington or Kansas City.

This year, we're celebrating the 44th season of the Roadrunners playing out of the 54-year-old Coliseum.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
The key question there, I think, would have been ownership. Jerry Moyes was a minority partner in Ellman's ownership group who accepted controlling interest from Ellman when the team went to Glendale because he was a big west side guy. I doubt very much that Moyes would have had interest in taking that interest for a Los Arcos-centered situation; so you have to theorize who would have taken over from Ellman other than Moyes, or would they have just sold the team to Portland when the opportunity arose.

That's pretty labored reasoning to suggest that Moyes wouldn't take ownership because it is not on the westside. He didn't put swift aviation at glendale municipal airport.

But it wouldn't have even fallen to Moyes. Ellman would have gotten his development. Because of its location it would have survived the recession, just like everything else in Scottsdale did. The arena and team would be another jewel in Scottsdale's crown as the valley king of entertainment and hospitality. It would be easier to recruit UFA's and easier to keep draft picks because those players would live and work in prime area of the valley instead of commuting halfway around it. The team would make more from naming rights on the building and more from concessions. Ticket prices would be double what they are now, driven up as the Coyotes would be a fashionable event to attend. The Suns would already have a new stadium because they would have leveraged the threat of moving in with the Coyotes against the City of Phoenix. Every minute that the Coyotes weren't using the stadium, it would be hosting a major concert or other event. The arena would also be ASU's home ice, playing day games on Saturdays and Sundays when the Coyotes are in town for a Devils/Yotes hockey doubleheader.

Reactions: Lady Macbeth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad