The almost 3/4 of the season Hart talk.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Why? I can't think of another team that relies so much on a single player to drive their offense. To me, the clear top three this year are Eichel, Panarin, and MacKinnon.
Two of those players aren't making the playoffs, therefore they won't be on the ballot.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
If I had a vote, Pasta would be my #1 right now.

The award is for MVP. Not MVP with the worst linemates.

He's right there for me also. Not sure if I'd vote for him today but it'd be a coin-flip.
Not sure why people want to change The Hart Trophy into 'The Best Player On The Worst Team To Make The Playoffs' award.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
He's right there for me also. Not sure if I'd vote for him today but it'd be a coin-flip.
Not sure why people want to change The Hart Trophy into 'The Best Player On The Worst Team To Make The Playoffs' award.

It's about being most valuable to your team. If you are surrounded by great players who are producing, then one can easily argue that player is less valuable.

We have a "best player" award already. The Hart is pointless if it doesn't differentiate from the Lindsay.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Pasta won't win it for a few reasons. His team is to good, as are his linemates and he probably won't win the Rocket or the Art Ross. It's stupid reasons but that's how the voting seems to work. Right now the front runner is Mackinnon but if Draisitl wins the Art Ross while carrying the Oilers to the playoffs then the Hart is his. Voters love the story line of a team thats been bad for years sneaking into the playoffs as well as Draisaitl rising to the challenge when Mcdavid got injured.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
This thread really shows how big peoples homer glasses are....so much misinformation, obscure stats, and lack of understanding. The Hart will go to a playoff player. And most likely the Art Ross winner if that player makes the playoffs.....thats how it always is.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Markstrom will be in the running if the Canucks maintain or improve their position in the standings. Not likely to win, but will certainly be in the 5 or 6 player conversation.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It's about being most valuable to your team. If you are surrounded by great players who are producing, then one can easily argue that player is less valuable.

We have a "best player" award already. The Hart is pointless if it doesn't differentiate from the Lindsay.

The Hart is pointless if players like Gretzky, Lafleur, Orr, Lemieux, Crosby, Clarke, Howe, etc. never won it because they were on great teams - and that the list was Peter Statsny, Perrault, Federko, Syl Apps, Shane Doan, Phil Kessel, etc.
Look at the list of Hart winners and, outside of goalies and the odd outlier, tell me how many weren't on great teams. You're trying to change what the award has always been.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
The Hart is pointless if players like Gretzky, Lafleur, Orr, Lemieux, Crosby, Clarke, Howe, etc. never won it because they were on great teams - and that the list was Peter Statsny, Perrault, Federko, Syl Apps, Shane Doan, Phil Kessel, etc.
Look at the list of Hart winners and, outside of goalies and the odd outlier, tell me how many weren't on great teams. You're trying to change what the award has always been.
Why are people so obsessed with hijacking the Hart to turn it into the Art Ross 2.0?

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV

It should look different to the Lindsay. There are absolutely cases where a player should win both, but the NHL needs to change the definition of the award if they're just going to give it to the Art Ross winner. You're saying I'm changing what the award means when I'm actually going by the definition that's engraved on the trophy!

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Pasta won't win it for a few reasons. His team is to good, as are his linemates and he probably won't win the Rocket or the Art Ross. It's stupid reasons but that's how the voting seems to work. Right now the front runner is Mackinnon but if Draisitl wins the Art Ross while carrying the Oilers to the playoffs then the Hart is his. Voters love the story line of a team thats been bad for years sneaking into the playoffs as well as Draisaitl rising to the challenge when Mcdavid got injured.
If pasta wins the rocket and the art Ross, he’ll get the hart

Reactions: BTO

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
Drai can’t win because McDavid is on his Team.....

McDavid cannot win because well I am not sure what the media and fans will come up with this year.....probably because he has Drai on his team...

So Nathan Mack......playing on a better and deeper team and having 10 points less than Drai clearly gets the nod......

duul

Jun 21, 2010
It's silly to claim MacKinnon is 'driving the bus' when his goal% is significantly lower than both Draisaitl and McDavid. Remove Mackinnon from Colorado and they still have more goals than the Oilers. Remove one of Drai/McDavid from the Oilers and they are in Detroit/Ottawa territory. Basement of the league.

If you want to go purely on most points generated compared to ALL of his teammates, then Draisaitl and McDavid both are more valuable to their teams success than Mack is. You can say 'Mackinnon doesn't have Draisaitl or McDavid to play with'. The counter argument is that Colorado has like 9 forwards who would be 4th on the Oilers in scoring. Their depth is ridiculous, and they would still be producing enough to be in a playoff spot without Mack. Without Drai or Davo's scoring, the Oilers would be in the basement. It's that simple. Most valuable players in the league right now are Drai, Davo, Panarin, and Eichel.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I just don’t buy the teammate argument. If you are going to say Draisaitl can’t win because McDavid is on the same team. Why not say Pasta can’t because Bergy and Marchand are on the team? Its just not an argument that makes sense.

Reactions: Duke74

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Bergeron and Marchand were not the offensive forces they have become since Pastrnak joined them. I think he deserves some credit for helping great players become elite players.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Drai can't win it because he was -26 in December alone...how is that helping your team?

I just don’t buy the teammate argument. If you are going to say Draisaitl can’t win because McDavid is on the same team. Why not say Pasta can’t because Bergy and Marchand are on the team? Its just not an argument that makes sense.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV

I said exactly that though. Neither of them should get it.

Bergeron and Marchand were not the offensive forces they have become since Pastrnak joined them. I think he deserves some credit for helping great players become elite players.

Yeah, he's phenomenal. I know this is oversimplifying the situation, but think of it in numerical value. If Pastrnak's value is, say, a 9 out of 10, then his linemates are surely a 7 or 8. Panarin would be a 10, but even if he was a 9 as well, you should take into consideration the players on his team. These numbers are ultimately pointless, but that is my thought process on the Hart trophy.

My point being a player having a better season =/= more valuable to their team necessarily.

A player on a better team =/= more valuable to their team.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Drai 100% would win today. I think the question is where will he be by the time McDavid gets back in 2-3 weeks. Will he still have a commanding lead in points? Will the oilers still be clinging to a playoff spot? People expect the answer to be no for both.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Drai 100% would win today. I think the question is where will he be by the time McDavid gets back in 2-3 weeks. Will he still have a commanding lead in points? Will the oilers still be clinging to a playoff spot? People expect the answer to be no for both.

Which people?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Players who stand out among their peers are almost always the winner if they make the playoffs. Kucherov for instance won pretty easily last year. The idea of value to team only usually comes into play when the top players are close or the best doesn't make the playoffs. It just happens that teo of the last three years have been ones without that separation.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Which people?

Well, I haven’t even seen many oiler fans on here that seem very confident Drai will carry the team to the playoffs. Then there’s this thread where MacKinnon is getting most of the support despite the fact the Drai would win today.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Draisaitl scenario makes zero sense, he was already leading in points and Edmonton was in a playoff position before mcdavid went down. He deserves some votes but shouldn’t be in the top 3

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Mackinnon for me. Was dominating even with Rantanen not signed and a slew of injuries. Will eclipse well over 100 points and the clear best player on the team. If Drai continues to produce as well as he has with McDavid injured, it will be close. Don't want to derail the thread at all with Matthews talk, but if the Leafs make the playoffs after a horrid start, I think he might get some votes. Might get 55-60 goals and 100 points despite playing under black hole Babcock. But for now Mackinnon is my rather easy pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->