The almost 3/4 of the season Hart talk.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
If Matthews gets at least 55 goals since that would be a new Leafs single season record and Toronto makes the playoffs, I can't see how Matthews is not a top 3 finalist.

Problem is that he'd fighting directly with Pasta for that spot, and while they're both on similar goal pace, Pasta likely finishes with more assists.

Matthews is having an incredible season though he's blown me away, I honestly didn't think he was going to smash his potential the way he has.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You do know that 25 teams have winning records right? You have listed eight of 15 teams when it should be closer to 11 or 12.

Congrats to West for having a below average record against the East.

And yet plenty of teams in the east have below average records against the west. Its almost as if playing more games against weaker opponents means you will have more wins.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
WOW A WHOLE MONTH? SERIOUSLY ALL THAT TIME? Perhaps we should just give him all the awards, build a hospital in his name and build a statue of him outside Rogers place. **** Gretzky we have Draisaitl!

This reply is a classic example of bifurcation.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Problem is that he'd fighting directly with Pasta for that spot, and while they're both on similar goal pace, Pasta likely finishes with more assists.

Matthews is having an incredible season though he's blown me away, I honestly didn't think he was going to smash his potential the way he has.
Why couldn't they both be finalists? They are both on pace for 50+ goals and if Toronto made the playoffs isn't it harder to not make Matthews a finalist? Plus do you really think the voters will care if Pastrnak gets more assists when they see Matthews final goal totals?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why couldn't they both be finalists? They are both on pace for 50+ goals and if Toronto made the playoffs isn't it harder to not make Matthews a finalist? Plus do you really think the voters will care if Pastrnak gets more assists when they see Matthews final goal totals?

I dont think being the highest scoring leaf ever is enough to give you the Hart. Pasta could score 60 and he would still just make the top 5 on the Bruins. Voting for the Hart should have nothing to do with team records.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I dont think being the highest scoring leaf ever is enough to give you the Hart. Pasta could score 60 and he would still just make the top 5 on the Bruins. Voting for the Hart should have nothing to do with team records.
I never meant that Matthews setting a new goal scoring record should not make him a Hart Trophy finalist. If he scored at least 55 goals or more and Toronto made the playoffs that would be hard to ignore and not make him a finalist.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So I guess by that logic Colorado being arguably the best team in the West MacKinnon shouldn't even be nominated, gotcha!

.... when did I mention Mackinnon or the Hart even once? I’m saying it’s purely idiotic to say Washington and the Bruins would miss the playoffs entirely without Ovi/Pasta.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I never meant that Matthews setting a new goal scoring record should not make him a Hart Trophy finalist. If he scored at least 55 goals or more and Toronto made the playoffs that would be hard to ignore and not make him a finalist.

Ovi hit 51 last year and lead the league and didnt even make the top 5.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
36 points in 51 games and 30 points in 51 games is strange to you? Regardless if Makar is a rookie or not, he has 42 in 48 games. That's still impressive. Not to mention Burakovsky has 43 points in 53 games.

No, I’m saying Donskoi/Burakovsky were 30pt players before coming to the Avs. You want to know why their point totals are so high? From playing with Mackinnon. Their pace has dropped since the Avs have got healthier and they were properly dropped down the lineup.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC

Because Pasta will likely finish right around the same number of goals as Matthews and outproduce him. We can be sure MacKinnon will be there and probably Draisaitl so if there is only one spot left chances are Pastrnak would be favored over Matthews at this rate.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Panarin or Eichel get a nod though.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Because Pasta will likely finish right around the same number of goals as Matthews and outproduce him. We can be sure MacKinnon will be there and probably Draisaitl so if there is only one spot left chances are Pastrnak would be favored over Matthews at this rate.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Panarin or Eichel get a nod though.
Let's say Pastrnak gets more points, however Matthews finishes with more goals will that really give Pastrnak the advantage? What if Matthews wins the Rocket Richard, wouldn't that give him the advantage?

Also since the Rangers and Sabres are going to miss the playoffs wouldn't that hurt the chances Panarin or Eichel of being a finalist?

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Let's say Pastrnak gets more points, however Matthews finishes with more goals will that really give Pastrnak the advantage? What if Matthews wins the Rocket Richard, wouldn't that give him the advantage?

Also since the Rangers and Sabres are going to miss the playoffs wouldn't that hurt the chances Panarin or Eichel of being a finalist?

Well it depends on by how much first of all. But chances are if Matthews wins the Rocket it will only be by a few goals over Pastrnak and Ovi. Say Matthews gets 55 and Pasta gets 52. And Matthews gets 98 points and Pasta gets 114. Pasta absolutely will be the favorite over Matthews.

Second I don't there is much precedent for more goals but less points being helpful in the Hart race. Last year neither Ovi or Draisaitl, the top two goal scorers, were nominated for the Hart.

EDIT: to your last point about Eichel and Panarin - I agree not making the playoffs will probably stop them from being nominated but they're so clearly the best player on their teams you never know.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well it depends on by how much first of all. But chances are if Matthews wins the Rocket it will only be by a few goals over Pastrnak and Ovi. Say Matthews gets 55 and Pasta gets 52. And Matthews gets 98 points and Pasta gets 114. Pasta absolutely will be the favorite over Matthews.

Second I don't there is much precedent for more goals but less points being helpful in the Hart race. Last year neither Ovi or Draisaitl, the top two goal scorers, were nominated for the Hart.

EDIT: to your last point about Eichel and Panarin - I agree not making the playoffs will probably stop them from being nominated but they're so clearly the best player on their teams you never know.
Draisaitl wasn't nominated because they already had McDavid as a finalist. However everyone knew Kucherov was winning it no matter what.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Draisaitl wasn't nominated because they already had McDavid as a finalist. However everyone knew Kucherov was winning it no matter what.

Okay...well my point was that there is no precedence of scoring more goals but less points getting someone a Hart nomination. Especially not if they are against people with similar goal totals.

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
2nd leading scorer on the Avs has 43 points

2nd leading scorer on the Rangers has 50 points

Doesn't take away from the great season Panarin is having though.
The second leading scorer on the Rangers is Zibanejad who Panarin does not play with.
To be fair Mac plays on a line with Rantanen.
Panarin has Ryan Strome and Jesper Fast.
I’m not taking anything away from MacKinnon but in my opinion Panarin is the mvp so far this year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Okay...well my point was that there is no precedence of scoring more goals but less points getting someone a Hart nomination. Especially not if they are against people with similar goal totals.
Even if Matthews scores 55 goals or more and Toronto doesn't make the playoffs I can't see him being a finalist. So in my opinion it all depends on Toronto making the playoffs if Matthews will get more votes and possibly be a finalist.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He's not going to win it-nor should he-but CBJ goalie Merzlikins deserves a lot of top 5 votes if he continues his level of play for the remainder of the season.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
And yet plenty of teams in the east have below average records against the west. Its almost as if playing more games against weaker opponents means you will have more wins.

What the overall record of the West vs. the East? Does the conference with the better record get to lay claim to being the better conference?

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Even if Matthews scores 55 goals or more and Toronto doesn't make the playoffs I can't see him being a finalist. So in my opinion it all depends on Toronto making the playoffs if Matthews will get more votes and possibly be a finalist.

I agree if Toronto doesn't make the playoffs he won't be a finalist. But I think what I was responding to was the idea that he would be a nominee over Pastrnak if he scores 55 goals and wins the Rocket. I am saying if Pastrnak outscores him by what currently projects to be over 15 points and gets a similar goal total to him Pasta will be there over him.

I think MacKinnon is a lock. I think at this point Draisaitl will probably be nominated as well. So who gets the third spot? At this rate probably Pastrnak. Maybe Panarin if they decide to let a non-playoff guy get in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad