The almost 3/4 of the season Hart talk.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Art Ross winner almost always get it, unless it's a non-playoff team.
A heroic goalie season can do it time to time as well.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes, the Avalanche have good players yet they were kept afloat by MacKinnon while half the team was hurt for a good chunk of the season (including the likes of Rantanen, Landeskog, Makar, and Kadri). The fact that they aren't having to play catch-up is solely because MacKinnon stepped up and dragged the team to wins. He was getting heavily double shifted during that time just so the other lines were a threat.

What I'm saying is that people were arguing for McDavid right up until he got hurt and they were claiming it wasn't close. Then everyone went right for his teammate and started claiming that he should win and of course it wasn't close. It doesn't make sense when it comes to picking a guy who is supposed to be a clear-cut MVP. Oilers fans lost their guy so they've decided that Draisaitl was the MVP all along.
Thats not true at all. Most people expected McDavid to go on his usual late season tear, but recognized that Drai has been the better player this year. Turns out Drai's the one going on the late tear in McDavid's absence and keeping them afloat like Mackinnon did with much more team support when injuries struck.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
It obviously can't be Draisaitl. He's been ok, but the unstoppable goalie tandem of Mike Smith and Mikko Koskinen, as well as our elite defense, and having so many high quality scoring forwards like Kassian and Neal in the top 6, Leon only needs to lead the scoring race by 13 points for the Oil to win. He's barely even contributing!

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
MacK, not really close at the moment. Still don't understand how people can say McDavid and Draisaitl. If you can't separate the 2 then neither is the MVP. If sabres or NYR somehow make the playoffs then Eichel and Panarin would be legit winners too. Everyone else (Kucherov, Matthews, etc) is battling for the nomination, not the win.

Without Ovi the caps don't make the playoffs and likely Boston misses without Pasta. Let me guess I should have put in Drai , is that your opinion? I would never vote for someone who rides shotgun to McDavid.

:laugh: Imagine people writing crap like that as late as last friday. Not in December, mind you, THIS PAST FRIDAY. :biglaugh:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
:laugh: Imagine people writing crap like that as late as last friday. Not in December, mind you, THIS PAST FRIDAY. :biglaugh:

What crap? At the time McDavid went down there were arguments for both guys being better. Plenty of people were putting McDavid ahead so my point was if they can't be separated then neither is the MVP. Good for Draisaitl that he is performing with McDavid out, he's making a strong case for himself. So relax tough guy.

Reactions: Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
What crap? At the time McDavid went down there were arguments for both guys being better. Plenty of people were putting McDavid ahead so my point was if they can't be separated then neither is the MVP. Good for Draisaitl that he is performing with McDavid out, he's making a strong case for himself. So relax tough guy.
Alright. I think I misread your post to an extent. Apologies.

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia

How many goals do you think it'd take for Pasta to win the Hart? 57+ and the Rocket on a top 1/2 team in the league?

Provided that Drai keeps scoring at around the same rate but ends up like -20, and MacK stays steady.

Not even sure it's possible unless Drai and MacK slow down, but an interesting conversation anyway.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Panarin should win it but he won't because it's somehow his fault the Rangers will miss the playoffs. The PHWA is really stupid.

Reactions: aufheben

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Provided that Drai keeps scoring at around the same rate but ends up like -20
His +/- has been getting better since December, which was statistically his and the Oilers worst month.
He's gone like +17 since then.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
His +/- has been getting better since December, which was statistically his and the Oilers worst month.
He's gone like +17 since then.

I understand, was more of a hypothetical. I suspect he’s still going to end up heavy in the negatives.

Not using it to take away from his incredible production, but I’m sure it would sway some voters to the MacK/Pasta route.

He reminded me a bit of Malkin last night, extremely talented player.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
All I'll say is that it boils down to Draisatl stepping it up without McDavid and Mackinnon carrying the Avs down the stretch with a number of guys out, including Rantanen and Kadri. Mackinnon was something else last night - if he continues to elevate next month it'll be a really tough call.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

How many goals do you think it'd take for Pasta to win the Hart? 57+ and the Rocket on a top 1/2 team in the league?

Provided that Drai keeps scoring at around the same rate but ends up like -20, and MacK stays steady.

Not even sure it's possible unless Drai and MacK slow down, but an interesting conversation anyway.

He's never going to escape the line argument, and frankly I'm fine with that. It would feel wrong for him to all of a sudden get it considering what Marchand and Bergeron have done before and never finished higher than 5th in the Hart voting.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I understand, was more of a hypothetical. I suspect he’s still going to end up heavy in the negatives.

Not using it to take away from his incredible production, but I’m sure it would sway some voters to the MacK/Pasta route.

He reminded me a bit of Malkin last night, extremely talented player.

I'm sure Draisaitl's plus/minus would be just fine if he played with Bergeron. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Connor McConnor

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Huh? It's already been almost two weeks. He should be back in a week or less according to the timeline given.

He's not ruling out tomorrow's game against the Wild according to Ryan Rishaug. Good news for the Oil, it could've been a tough week had Draisaitl not put the team on his back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad