The All Things Sprong Containment Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
can't really argue that, but Sullivan did seem to bench Sprong exclusively at times and he was the #1 nacho eater. so sullivan didn't verbalize it but his action spoke pretty loud, but I am assuming there..

True although he benched Simon early on as well. Difference is Simon started producing, although Simon was also given more opportunity to produce. The truth is in the middle. Sully didn't like Sprong, but Sprong also didn't do enough to change the coaches mind while other young players have done more and earned promotions, although the coach liked them better so it was easier to earn. Round and round we go!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Its not irrelevant. It's the entire point.

The whole idea was that Sprong wasn't getting opportunity here. As soon as he got it he started filling the net immediately, to the shock of nobody who's followed his career and saw his talent. The question was never "can the Pens' other RWs perform better in the top 9 than Sprong can with 8 minutes a night on the 4th line?", because that would be nonsense.

I'm not "just saying" it, I'm supporting my position. Rust was a tire fire in the top 9 this year (on both wings), Hornqvist was injured, and Simon was used primarily on LW to start the year...and Sprong wasn't given a chance in the top 9 regardless.

The idea that he was logjammed by better options doesn't hold water - not based on my opinion or yours, but by the facts.

He outpaced him this year considerably with far lesser linemates and opportunity. That's not nothing. Now we're seeing how he can produce when given decent minutes and opportunities with a scoring line center, an advantage that Rust has squandered all season until very recently.

Go ask if they regret it. I'll go watch.

What if Rust outproduces Sprong the rest of the season and continues to do so next year? At what point can we say that the Penguins didn't have the top 9 spot for Sprong and JR was able to get best value out of him before things went bad for both parties? I'm not sure I believe it yet, but it's certainly possible.

Remember, Rust doesn't want to be a 4th liner either so if you give Sprong the spot Rust had previously earned, you risk alienating a player that pretty valuable to the Pens identity over time.

This is all hypothetical, but most of us logically thought it was just a matter of time until Rust started putting things together again. Coincidentally, since Sprong was shipped out, Rust is proving he is a top 9 winger again and has scored MORE goals than Sprong has in similar opportunities.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think that's partly true

I think Rust's signing spelled trouble for Sheary, hence why he was shipped out. And consequently Sprong

Think about it this way: if ZAR was a RW, he'd be in WBS. Just a ton of RW's in the big club

Yeah, it sucks because if Sprong reaches his potential he likely makes Kessel expendable, but Kessel is still elite.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
True although he benched Simon early on as well. Difference is Simon started producing, although Simon was also given more opportunity to produce. The truth is in the middle. Sully didn't like Sprong, but Sprong also didn't do enough to change the coaches mind while other young players have done more and earned promotions, although the coach liked them better so it was easier to earn. Round and round we go!

ImperturbableForkedBullmastiff-max-1mb.gif

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I'm still a little confused why Sprong wasn't really tried with Geno. Quite a few of us thoughts it might be worthwhile to give him some time there.

I just hope we don't regret the trade at some point.

This has the potential to be Caps/Forsberg bad

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We both know that RW slots opened up as the season progressed, whether due to wingers switching sides, severely underperforming, or getting hurt. Sprong didn't get those opportunities regardless.
Still way different than having a legitimate need at scoring line RW. You can't possibly think the opportunity for that role here and with the ducks is the same regardless of coach.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
No it doesn’t because Erat was 30+ and Pettersson is Sprong’s age.

It’s a potential for potential move.

Age doesn't matter if Pettersson doesn't pan out and not on the team in one to two years. Not saying that will happen but that's how it could reach that level of bad.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
If sprong exceeds expectations and Pettersson has already peaked, sure maybe. It's possible.

I suspect that if things go the other you'll never do the same.

Of course I would admit Sprong's failings. But that will never excuse the way the Pens mismanaged him, my biggest complaint. Again for the last time, before trading him, we should have given him an extended look in top 9 to see what we had.................

And no reason for you to be snarky, it's Christmas after-all!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Of course I would admit Sprong's failings. But that will never excuse the way the Pens mismanaged him, my biggest complaint. Again for the last time, before trade him, we should have given him an extended look in top 9 to see what we had.................

And no reason to be snarky on your end, it's Christmas after-all!
Sure it would. If we have other good rw options and sprong isnt good then we handled him just fine. The question on that end is whether or not they are right in that evaluation.

It only looks unreasonable if you are presupposing that sprong is really good and that sully misjudged him.

Reactions: Riptide

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't know why anyone is pretending that Pettersson has a risk of not panning out as a NHLer. He's already a NHL defenseman right now, his worst case scenario is probably a #5 DFD capable of anchoring a bottom pair. I don't think he's far off from that right now when he's only 22, and I don't see any reason to believe he won't improve from here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Of course I would admit Sprong's failings. But that will never excuse the way the Pens mismanaged him, my biggest complaint. Again for the last time, before trading him, we should have given him an extended look in top 9 to see what we had.................

And no reason for you to be snarky, it's Christmas after-all!

For the 1000th time. The NHL is not a development league. The players above Sprong are Kessel and Hornqvist currently on 90 pt pace and a 40 goal pace.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
You do realize Pettersson is literally on the team right now?

He’s 22 why would we move him?

If he regresses. If Sully wakes up one day and decides he's on his shit list. I don't know why does any player on this team get moved.

And if sprong is out of the NHL in a couple of years but pettersson reaches his potential it could look bad the other way.

And I hope this happens. I'm a Pens fan not a Sprong fan. It's just maddening he was never given a real chance.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I don’t see how we will. Rust’s signing effectively spelled trouble for Sprong.

I mean, it sucks to give up a young forward with potential, but Kessel and Hornqvist are signed for a long time and would’ve been playing in the top six effectively limiting Sprong’s opportunities.
Oh for sure. I am hoping that Rusty his upward trend. I think it was fair to say Sprong's future was decided last season.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Sure it would. If we have other good rw options and sprong isnt good then we handled him just fine. The question on that end is whether or not they are right in that evaluation.

It only looks unreasonable if you are presupposing that sprong is really good and that sully misjudged him.

Sully isn't dumb, he didn't like him. He knows his talent and he knows he could get burned. But he also knows his 2 cups insulates him greatly. Not with me, I spent the majority of my life in Sales and I liken it to Coaching; You're only good as your last week.

Million dollar sell.......nice, what else you got?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And I hope this happens. I'm a Pens fan not a Sprong fan. It's just maddening he was never given a real chance.
I'd agree if we dumped him for a pick. But we didn't. We got a good return for him. 2nd round for 2nd round. Both young, both cheap etc. Two teams trading from surplus for need.

If this trade happens in July it makes perfect sense. Take away the optics of sprong on the 4th line and benched and I think 90% of the people upset would be fine with this move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad