The "All Things NYC" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
If you're looking for bars near Times Square that aren't tourist traps, try the Beer Authority on 40th. It has a great list of beer and the food is good for a bar.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Alright, I have one more request:

I'm assuming that my hotel will have NBCSN, but in the event that they don't or that I just want to get out, are there any places near Times Square where I could watch my Red Wings play on Tuesday night.. Keep in mind that the Rangers have a game that same night. So are there any places that would have at least one tv that is willing to have on Detroit/Boston instead of NYR/Philly?

highandwide

It's gold Jerry.
Nov 28, 2011
NYC
Alright, I have one more request:

I'm assuming that my hotel will have NBCSN, but in the event that they don't or that I just want to get out, are there any places near Times Square where I could watch my Red Wings play on Tuesday night.. Keep in mind that the Rangers have a game that same night. So are there any places that would have at least one tv that is willing to have on Detroit/Boston instead of NYR/Philly?

I'm only saying this because I feel like it'll be playing russian roulette with certain pubs/sports bars but I would go to a place that is generally known for having a lot TVs, so you could ask them to put it on.

Something like Lansdowne Road or Beer Authority.
Even if your hotel has a bar, I'd try first.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Any idea how tough it will be to get into flying puck?

If you can't get in then try one of the other official Rangers bars in Manhattan:

13TH STEP - 149 2ND AVENUE
STOUT - 133 WEST 33RD STREET
NYC BOUNCE - 55 WEST 21ST STREET
THE FLYING PUCK - 3708 7TH AVENUE
TRIPLE CROWN - 330 7TH AVENUE
SNAP - 248 W 14TH STREET
PIPERS KILT - 4946 BROADWAY
AMERICAN WHISKEY - 247 WEST 30TH STREET
THE HILL - 436 3RD AVENUE
SLATE - 54 W. 21ST STREET
IRON BAR - 720 8TH AVENUE
MUSTANG HARRY'S - 352 7TH AVENUE
LOCAL - 1 PENN PLAZA
SUITE36 - 16 W 36TH STREET
FOLEY'S - 18 W 33RD STREET
JACK DOYLE'S - 240 W 35TH STREET

MrZ123

Sep 11, 2008
Rangers Bar on UES?

Anyone have a suggestion for a good place to watch the game tonight on the Upper East Side?

LET'S GO RANGER!!!

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Any chance we can get a separate sticky thread for Rangers bars or bars that get a good crowd for Rangers games?

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Any chance we can get a separate sticky thread for Rangers bars or bars that get a good crowd for Rangers games?

We've been asked to limit the number of stickies, so I think it would be best to continue to use this thread in order to maintain visibility.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
We've been asked to limit the number of stickies, so I think it would be best to continue to use this thread in order to maintain visibility.

OK. I only ask because right now the bars are being posted, but for most of the year the posts about Rangers bars tend to get buried in this thread. Or, maybe just one main post people can reference for bar information. Similar to what they have on the Habs board in their "what to do in montreal" thread.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=821943

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Anyone know if I can use a LIRR monthly pass to get off a different station in the same zone?

For example, I'm going to get a monthly ticket for Atlantic Terminal (Zone 1) to Mineola (Zone 4). Can I take the train from Mineola to Forest Hills (also Zone 1)?

Last edited:

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
Anyone know if I can use a LIRR monthly pass to get off a different station in the same zone?

For example, I'm going to get a monthly ticket for Atlantic Terminal (Zone 1) to Mineola (Zone 4). Can I take the train from Mineola to Forest Hills (also Zone 1)?

Yes as long as it is zone 1 to zone 4.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
So pretty much I can get on and get off anywhere between 1 and 4? Cool. They should print out on the ticket just "Zone 1" and "Zone 4" instead of the names of the stations to make this much simpler to understand.

I haven't used a monthly in almost 30 years but it used to be listed by zones. Just to be on the safe side if no one else answers just call the LIRR but I don't see why they would charge you under your scenario but things might have changed. The conductors are great people and they will probably help you out

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I haven't used a monthly in almost 30 years but it used to be listed by zones. Just to be on the safe side if no one else answers just call the LIRR but I don't see why they would charge you under your scenario but things might have changed. The conductors are great people and they will probably help you out

Thanks. I emailed them earlier. I still have a lot of time before I get the monthly (I need one starting this June). I'd just rather get all my random questions I keep coming up with answered before then. If they don't email me back in a week or so, I'll call.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
So pretty much I can get on and get off anywhere between 1 and 4? Cool. They should print out on the ticket just "Zone 1" and "Zone 4" instead of the names of the stations to make this much simpler to understand.

I do the mail and ride program and my tickets always say "city zone" to my station. Odd they only use the zone for one destination.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
If you buy your monthly at the station they'll always list it as specific station to station as opposed to zones, I don't think the teller's systems allow for that.

And yes to answer your question, you can use your monthly to travel to any station within the zones of your specific ticket, regardless of what line or end stop is specifically mentioned.

When I had a NYP-Ronkonkoma monthly, I used it a number of times to travel to Citi Field on the PW line, or to Bayshore/Sayville on the Babylon branch. Aside from conductors just confirming that I knew I wasn't on a Ronkonkoma bound train, they never hassled me about me.

I've actually extended my ticket (gone to Montauk) with the same pass - I just paid the step up difference on a single trip, and in some cases they just let me ride it out without any additional cost.

If you go the opposite way (lets say you have a NYP-Mineola ticket and you get on a Mineola and take it towards Ronkonkoma), you'll have to pay obv.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
If you buy your monthly at the station they'll always list it as specific station to station as opposed to zones, I don't think the teller's systems allow for that.

And yes to answer your question, you can use your monthly to travel to any station within the zones of your specific ticket, regardless of what line or end stop is specifically mentioned.

When I had a NYP-Ronkonkoma monthly, I used it a number of times to travel to Citi Field on the PW line, or to Bayshore/Sayville on the Babylon branch. Aside from conductors just confirming that I knew I wasn't on a Ronkonkoma bound train, they never hassled me about me.

I've actually extended my ticket (gone to Montauk) with the same pass - I just paid the step up difference on a single trip, and in some cases they just let me ride it out without any additional cost.

If you go the opposite way (lets say you have a NYP-Mineola ticket and you get on a Mineola and take it towards Ronkonkoma), you'll have to pay obv.

Thanks. I got the email back from them earlier and they told me the same thing. And the reason I asked is also to get to Citi Field. :)

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I like your city NY. I'm seriously considering making the move to give it a go while I'm still fairly young and not ready for commitment and/or starting a family.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
How did you or anyone else make the move?

Could I find an apartment almost immediately?.. spending 1,500-2,000 per month. Or am I out to lunch.

I'm pretty confident I could land a job fairly quickly. I have a BS from a respectable University and some experience in management. Any type of entry level job that pays enough to keep up with rent and the cost of living is more than fine with me for the time being though. Just really want to get situated knowing that I could make the move and not end up flying back home broke 4 months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->