OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The challenge with sports games (aside from a lack of competition) is the continued focus on making things LOOK more realistic, but not actually BEHAVE more realistic.

This is very evident in the NHL series which has toyed with some many different additions, but yet struggles to include a large number of player faces or build an AI that understands more than the rudimentary concepts of NHL hockey.

I think this issue is prevalent in many forms of entertainment. The visuals are enhanced with pain staking detail, but the content is the same or worse. This goes for many videos games, movies, songs, etc.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I think this issue is prevalent in many forms of entertainment. The visuals are enhanced with pain staking detail, but the content is the same or worse. This goes for many videos games, movies, songs, etc.

Agree 100% across all mediums. Somewhere along the way. game play became less important because game studios realized they could **** out titles with next gen graphics for the oooh, ahh, factor, but the story, characters and game play could, and usually are, total ****.

Chalk it up to another frontier where technology should have enhanced our lives, and yet somehow found a way to make it worse.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Agree 100% across all mediums. Somewhere along the way. game play became less important because game studios realized they could **** out titles with next gen graphics for the oooh, ahh, factor, but the story, characters and game play could, and usually are, total ****.

Chalk it up to another frontier where technology should have enhanced our lives, and yet somehow found a way to make it worse.

I read an article a while ago about the "staleness" in the video game industry. I can't find the article right now, so I'm going to paraphrase.

The main point of the article was that gamers cry for innovative games, but they keep buying the stale ones and destroying the innovative ones on online forums.

When a company tries to change things you get statements like...

"It's broken!"

"Why did I buy beta access for a game that isn't ready yet?

"Activision/MSFT/Infinity Ward are sellouts, and the don't care about the gamer!!!!!"

In the end, the all line up to purchase another COD that has been **** since MW2.

Whatever...

Hopefully there will be a change, but it doesn't look good.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
EA Access subscribers now have access to NHL 16. I played the beta but the release gameplay looks a bit busy with some of the new features. Anyone else try it out?

Loff

Will Killye
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Played the 10 hour trial from ea access. I like it a billion times more than 15 so far.

Cool.

I've been testing out the NHL 15 demo and it's passable. Just the new features in NHL 16 alone should make it a better game. Can't wait.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Cool.

I've been testing out the NHL 15 demo and it's passable. Just the new features in NHL 16 alone should make it a better game. Can't wait.
I despised NHL 15, it was a half made piece of garbage.

16 they brought back all the game modes they just decided to randomly delete, added some cool stuff (the new practice mode is a lot more in depth and pretty cool), and made the actual gameplay a lot better compared to 15.

R2theDizzlE

Mar 28, 2014
Sound Beach, NY
Anybody else here ever play XCOM? I was sorely disappointed when I found out that XCOM 2 is only going to be on PC (initially, at least). I'm hoping they port it to console eventually or I might have to finally buy a new computer.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I'd probably make Buch a sniper personally. Start him around a 77-80 with high potential.

Yeah, that's pretty solid. Stick him in the A for a bit and hope he blossoms

Anybody else here ever play XCOM? I was sorely disappointed when I found out that XCOM 2 is only going to be on PC (initially, at least). I'm hoping they port it to console eventually or I might have to finally buy a new computer.

Loved XCOM, wasted so many hours playing it haha.

99 overall GOAT AINEC
Pls, that's for my created character.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The new EASHL (finally it's back <3) is kinda weird. Not a fan of how you can't customize anything about your guy except his face and equipment. You also pick a player type from game matchup menu rather than having a set position with a player type where you can add attributes, etc.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Just noticed this thread exists.

Does anyone play DOTA? I've also been playing a lot of Rocket League (at least before the semester started).

I'm pretty good at NHL, but haven't played any of the new ones past 13. If they made NHL for PCs i'd stream it on Twitch or something.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Just noticed this thread exists.

Does anyone play DOTA? I've also been playing a lot of Rocket League (at least before the semester started).

I'm pretty good at NHL, but haven't played any of the new ones past 13. If they made NHL for PCs i'd stream it on Twitch or something.

Rocket League is tied for the best free PS4 game with The Binding Of Isaac for me.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
I've been playing rocket league non stop with a bunch of friends. It's just so much fun and addictive!

I remember my friends trying to describe the game to me and thinking of dumb the game is going to be :laugh:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Who got Super Mario Maker?

It's incredible. Worth buying a Wii U just for this game. I can make SMB3 stages. I can make stage with the BEST MARIO ENGINE EVER>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->