OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Might be a strange place to see 31 thoughts, but the 1st two are very interesting:

1. There is a Board of Governors meeting scheduled for All-Star Weekend and I’m curious to see if the eSports NHL tournament will be officially unveiled. According to several sources, the league wanted to open registration in February and begin the online event in March. I’m not sure how the competition is going to work, but the most intriguing thing I heard was the “World Champion” would be recognized at the 2018 NHL Awards. That is a fantastic idea. This is the most excited I’ve been about video games since a university roommate bought a Game Boy with Tetris.

2. Before he ended up in Anaheim, I asked JT Brown his thoughts on this foray. Brown, the NHL’s foremost gamer, said, “Don’t launch it until you know it works properly.” Good advice.

The NBA has already opened their qualifications for the 2kNBA E-League.

If the NHL doesn't want to miss out on it, they could actively launch something in the time frame mentioned above.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan

Might be a strange place to see 31 thoughts, but the 1st two are very interesting:

The NBA has already opened their qualifications for the 2kNBA E-League.

If the NHL doesn't want to miss out on it, they could actively launch something in the time frame mentioned above.

They should wait until somebody releases an NHL game that isn't trash.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Has anyone picked up the Secret of Mana remake? It has mixed reviews but think it was not bad. The 3D is meh and character acting is ok, but the music and battle system is def better. So thought it was still worth it. I know @Ail is a classic FF fan wonder if he ever played the original.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Has anyone picked up the Secret of Mana remake? It has mixed reviews but think it was not bad. The 3D is meh and character acting is ok, but the music and battle system is def better. So thought it was still worth it. I know @Ail is a classic FF fan wonder if he ever played the original.
I hate the OG Secret of Mana

*puts on flame shield*

Personally Im just sitting here waiting for Octopath, which looks to be the best JRPG since Chrono Trigger

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

*puts on flame shield*

Personally Im just sitting here waiting for Octopath, which looks to be the best JRPG since Chrono Trigger

It looks like classic FF, have to check it out. Also, Chrono Trigger was amazing, sadly it’s follow up was not good. IMO.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They should wait until somebody releases an NHL game that isn't trash.

A few bones to pick with the NHL series.

1)It it's core, it's just NHL 10 reprinted 8 times. I get that sports games are hard because they come out every year and if it works, don't change it. Except it doesn't work.

2)Defensive/goalie AI is still trash. I've been scoring literally the same goal over and over and over again since NHL 10.

3)Although they promise it every year, there's still no actual functioning battle system along the boards or in front of the net. You just mash buttons until the puck does what it wants.

4)Still too much up-and-down AV hockey. I get that rushes are fun, but we're looking for a simulation.

5)This is the big one - special teams are the absolute worse thing about this game. There's zero semblance of a controlled powerplay with zone time. It's the same up-and-down fastbreak hockey except one team has 4 guys. If you don't have a genuine special teams engine, you have an arcade game.

6)The Cup celebration is still literally THE SAME EXACT VIDEO from NHL 10.

With the authentic arenas, the mascots, and the presentation (besides the f***ing Cup) the atmosphere is great, but they need to actually address the on-ice game for the first time in over 8 years.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Chrono Cross seems like a good game, but it's super complicated and takes a long time to master

I dont wanna have to study a jrpg, it's time consuming enough as is.
The cool factor of having over 100 playable characters all requiring a small backstory robbed the game of any real character development which is crucial for JRPG's imo.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

*puts on flame shield*

OG SOM was one of the most brilliant games I ever played. Summer of ‘93. My older bro and got to duo an RPG together. The 3D version look weird and the reviews are crap so I’m a little skeptical.

SNES had some incredible RPG’s.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
A few bones to pick with the NHL series.

1)It it's core, it's just NHL 10 reprinted 8 times. I get that sports games are hard because they come out every year and if it works, don't change it. Except it doesn't work.

2)Defensive/goalie AI is still trash. I've been scoring literally the same goal over and over and over again since NHL 10.

3)Although they promise it every year, there's still no actual functioning battle system along the boards or in front of the net. You just mash buttons until the puck does what it wants.

4)Still too much up-and-down AV hockey. I get that rushes are fun, but we're looking for a simulation.

5)This is the big one - special teams are the absolute worse thing about this game. There's zero semblance of a controlled powerplay with zone time. It's the same up-and-down fastbreak hockey except one team has 4 guys. If you don't have a genuine special teams engine, you have an arcade game.

6)The Cup celebration is still literally THE SAME EXACT VIDEO from NHL 10.

With the authentic arenas, the mascots, and the presentation (besides the ****ing Cup) the atmosphere is great, but they need to actually address the on-ice game for the first time in over 8 years.
My buddies and I all feel the same way. Frustrating to say the least.

With no competition, EA hasn’t had a reason to actually produce a new hockey game.

I have high hopes for the new frostbite engine next year. It’s time. I think they make FIFA if I’m not mistaken..?

I only play online. Preferably 3’s.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My buddies and I all feel the same way. Frustrating to say the least.

With no competition, EA hasn’t had a reason to actually produce a new hockey game.

I have high hopes for the new frostbite engine next year. It’s time. I think they make FIFA if I’m not mistaken..?

I only play online. Preferably 3’s.
Yeah Frostbite is the FIFA engine, which IMO is a significantly better game.

Don't get me wrong, FIFA has its own form of cheese where you can score the same goal 40 times in a row, but it's not nearly as bad as the NHL series.

The MLB series is the class of the bunch. A couple of years ago, I hit 77 homers with a .379 average. This year, I'm in the third week of August and I have 28 homers and I'm only batting .297. The game legitimately adjusts.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I haven't played a game other than Yu-Gi-Oh or MLB The Show since December.

FFXV
Destiny 2 (which was fun until end-game)
COD WW2
Fortnite
Nhl-18

My buddies convinced me to get Borderlands and I gotta say, I’m loving it. Rotating between 2 and pre-sequal.

I can’t do MLB. I lose interest after a few weeks, right about the time the Mets start sucking ass forcing me to avoid anything baseball related.

Reactions: Machinehead

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Play it right now

Literally right this second

It's every bit as good as CT, Super Metroid, Castlevania 4, etc. A MUST PLAY.
Lol. Very convincing. Especially with the comparison to the great games you listed.

**** me I’m ready to tear through Super Metroid again too.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Yeah Frostbite is the FIFA engine, which IMO is a significantly better game.

Don't get me wrong, FIFA has its own form of cheese where you can score the same goal 40 times in a row, but it's not nearly as bad as the NHL series.

The MLB series is the class of the bunch. A couple of years ago, I hit 77 homers with a .379 average. This year, I'm in the third week of August and I have 28 homers and I'm only batting .297. The game legitimately adjusts.

Those PED’s did you well a few years ago :laugh:

If it’s not challenging I lose all interest. That’s why I primarily play nhl online only. Even with the difficulty practically maxed, i school the computers. With the same moves I used in 2010. 11. 12. Etc.

EA better not **** up next years hockey game. They need to get back to customizing your online character, instead of using these ticky tacky builds.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
FFXV
Destiny 2 (which was fun until end-game)
COD WW2
Fortnite
Nhl-18

My buddies convinced me to get Borderlands and I gotta say, I’m loving it. Rotating between 2 and pre-sequal.

I can’t do MLB. I lose interest after a few weeks, right about the time the Mets start sucking ass forcing me to avoid anything baseball related.

:laugh:

I know there's a lot of other cool shit out there but I'm just addicted to Road to the Show mode. I'm in my 11th season and closing in on 600 HR's. :yo:

Yu-Gi-Oh, I actually play on my office computer at work when nothing is going on. I'm required to hold office hours twice a week for students to come and get assistance, but the only time they come is the two weeks around midterms and the two weeks around finals. The rest of the time, I make $76/hour playing Yu-Gi-Oh or posting on HF. It's the American dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->