The All-Purpose Sprong Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hopefully he carves out a role there.

Hopefully we get something worthwhile for moving him..

The former is more likely than the latter (and that's not necessarily because I believe in either having much likelihood of happening).

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sullivan desperately needs to win games. Even he's not that much of an idiot to the point that he'd keep sitting him even if he thought playing Sprong would win him games. This is where I think the biggest disconnect is with fans. Many see Sprong as someone who if used correctly should help score a lot of goals. I think Sullivan is seeing him as someone who does next to nothing to help his team if he's not scoring - and with his defensive game has frequently actually hurt his team's chances at winning... and hasn't scored even remotely close to enough goals to make up the difference.

But this is HF where promise and potential usually outweigh one's actual abilities.

Because it's HF. Prospects and potential always outweigh actual results.

No, the disconnect is fans want to see him used correctly, to know if he can help score goals and provide skill and offense.

And the last line is still lame and ironically Hfboards rhetoric as well.

Mostly every fan that roots for any NHL team wants to know if their best prospects can help. When a guy drops 30 goals in the A his rookie year, it’s natural to want to see IF he can do it at the NHL level.

Sullivan once said about Guentzel that he needed to be put in a position to succeed with skilled players because that’s what he is.

Sprong is also a skilled player, not a fourth line grinder. If he fails with skill and busts, so be it. But anyone pretending Sullivan doesn’t have different rules for Sprong is wrong.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The former is more likely than the latter (and that's not necessarily because I believe in either having much likelihood of happening).

Didn't we supposedly want Montour a few weeks ago?

I could see the Pens being interested in Nick Ritchie also but doubt they have the assets to pull that either off.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Didn't we supposedly want Montour a few weeks ago?

I could see the Pens being interested in Nick Ritchie also but doubt they have the assets to pull that either off.

Not unless it's a bigger deal, but one would think that Sprong would be an afterthought, not the guy people would be speculating about.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I mean, there’s the fact Hornqvist is tied for third with EV goals this year. Why are you putting that on the 4th line?

Rust and Phil have played less than 5 minutes together this year and have 10 CA.

Because the 2nd line isn't working, the 1st line is, and the 3rd line has Kessel.

Rust and Phil haven't played with Brass for any amount of time this year. That's been my contention all along. Not 2 of the 3 required pieces.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
No, the argument against Sprong is that he doesn't produce in 8.5 minutes and literally the rest of his stats are garbage too. His stats across the board are garbage, Sullivan is completely justified for not wanting to play him higher in the lineup. His play hasn't warranted it. Thinking Sprong should be used in a position of strength is one thing, complaining that Sullivan hasn't played a guy who has given horrid results in the top-9 is another.

Statistically, Sprong has done literally nothing positive this year. Doesn't generate chances, gets scored on a ton, the team doesn't score when he's on the ice...what there is good? Oh wow, he's outproducing the other **** depth pieces the Penguins have, bravo.

We've gone through this before WC, if you seriously think the argument against Sprong playing is "he hasn't produced while with Sheahan", you're not actually reading the posts you're responding to. Sullivan is completely justified for not promoting Sprong because his play hasn't warranted him getting promoted.

Except I just told you otherwise with the P/60 stats. He produces much better than his competition despite his circumstances, and his underlying numbers improve and skill plays actually get converted when he's played with better players.

That's why it's dumb that they're in the top 9 and he isn't, and that's why people think he'd perform better with better players. Just because you ignore the evidence doesn't mean it's not there.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
WC cursing god as the apocalypse takes place.

b94.jpg

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Not unless it's a bigger deal, but one would think that Sprong would be an afterthought, not the guy people would be speculating about.

Yeah I can't see Sprong being the center piece of any deal really. Who wants to give up anything worthwhile for a waiver ineligible player who hasn't proven to be able to hold a spot down?

Does Anaheim have any similar player in Sprongs situation? Prospect that Randy isnt playing? I'd have to check the roster I guess..

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If JR trades our 1st again this year, I'm gonna be pissed! Maybe its Sprong for Cogliano?

If he does move it I'm sure it will be lottery protected.

Not that that comforts me much since we could easily be as bad or worse next year..

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If we’re giving up our first, we better be getting Montour back...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah I can't see Sprong being the center piece of any deal really. Who wants to give up anything worthwhile for a waiver ineligible player who hasn't proven to be able to hold a spot down?

Does Anaheim have any similar player in Sprongs situation? Prospect that Randy isnt playing? I'd have to check the roster I guess..

@pixiesfanyo, see @Pancakes question. I believe you watch that team some. Any clue?

Reactions: Pancakes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad