The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Lines, etc (Geno, the true American Hero)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Continue here

Where, when all are "healthy", would you play Lafferty?

The Pens, healthy?

e8a.gif

More seriously, it's too early. Maybe he bombs the next five games. Maybe he establishes himself as one of our top 9 forwards. Maybe he starts getting C reps, which would change a lot of things.

But right now... leave him where he is for a bit.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
In all seriousness @Randy Butternubs - I just want to let it all play out. Even the people saying get rid of Kahun... like slow it down. The guy has been here less than 10 games. Let's just see how it all plays out. I want youth. I want tenacity. I want depth. Right now, that's our forward group. I like their make up. We are building something. We just need to figure out the defense and man... Marino has put that "figuring out the defense" thing into ludicrous speed (Spaceballs reference).

These injuries are semi-long term. I'm going to enjoy and watch it play out. When guys start funneling back in, then I will be able to answer it with a little more clarity.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
If I'm Rust, I'm sweating bullets right now because my job is in major jeopardy

Because:

1) I have an injury histroy
2) I make $3M on a team that is cap strapped
3) I'm seen as a "big game player" through the league

During the summer I'm not sure Rust was on the serious "available for trade" list. Maybe there were some tire kickers, but I think JR really likes Rust

But Laffy could make him really redundant really quick

Other people might say: Kahun or Simon are in more danger, but I don't buy that because they make significantly less

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Lafferty-Hornqvist
Tanev-Bleuger-ZAR
A. Johnson

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Somebody like Ian Cole circa 2016-Marino

JJ, Guds, Bjug gone.

= almost 10 mil in cap space to re-sign Murray, Pettersson, maybe Schultz, maybe Galch, and add a piece. Though there’s no way all of those guys are going, so whatevs. But it’s nice to have cheap options like Lafferty fall out of the sky again.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Lafferty doing this good and we haven't even seen our top prospects scratch the surface yet? What was Lafferty ranked....9th? Pffft

Few more cups coming

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If I'm Rust, I'm sweating bullets right now because my job is in major jeopardy

Because:

1) I have an injury histroy
2) I make $3M on a team that is cap strapped
3) I'm seen as a "big game player" through the league

During the summer I'm not sure Rust was on the serious "available for trade" list. Maybe there were some tire kickers, but I think JR really likes Rust

But Laffy could make him really redundant really quick

Other people might say: Kahun or Simon are in more danger, but I don't buy that because they make significantly less

Rust is one of three right shot forwards in the line up when he comes back.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Rust is one of three right shot forwards in the line up when he comes back.

If he were a Dman, I'd say that makes a difference

But he's an expensive F in a numbers game, who is injured (again).

If I had to put money on it, he isn't a Penguin by Jan 1st

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If he were a Dman, I'd say that makes a difference

But he's an expensive F in a numbers game, who is injured (again).

If I had to put money on it, he isn't a Penguin by Jan 1st

I have no idea why we would get rid of him. Bjugstad is likely the easier asset to move.

And their have been multiple instances where Simon hasn’t been able to make plays on the top line due to playing his off side.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There is no need to trade Rust, you move Bjugstad and Kahun if you want to thin out the forward groups. Beyond this year, I don't really have that many reservations with this forward lineup:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Tanev
Simon-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Lafferty

Unless Murray gets a huge extension or you can't trade either Johnson or Gudbranson, I think this forward group is doable. You also have Johnson, Bjorkqvist and Angello as legit depth forward options, too.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
There is no need to trade Rust, you move Bjugstad and Kahun if you want to thin out the forward groups. Beyond this year, I don't really have that many reservations with this forward lineup:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Tanev
Simon-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Lafferty

Unless Murray gets a huge extension or you can't trade either Johnson or Gudbranson, I think this forward group is doable. You also have Johnson, Bjorkqvist and Angello as legit depth forward options, too.

I don't hate Rust but I'm unsure why everyone is in love with him.
We squeezed all we can out of him. He's injury prone too. What's the point of employing someone like this who is frequently unavailable? Remember he was a shell of himself vs the Isles, demoted to the 4th line

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Lafferty-Hornqvist
Tanev-Bleuger-ZAR
A. Johnson

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Somebody like Ian Cole circa 2016-Marino

JJ, Guds, Bjug gone.

= almost 10 mil in cap space to re-sign Murray, Pettersson, maybe Schultz, maybe Galch, and add a piece. Though there’s no way all of those guys are going, so whatevs. But it’s nice to have cheap options with Lafferty fall out of the sky again.

So Sullivan rewards Tanev's stellar play lately by sticking him on the 4th line...in favor of Rust...who has collectively not done shit in quite awhile. Makes sense.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
So Sullivan rewards Tanev's stellar play lately by sticking him on the 4th line...in favor of Rust...who has collectively not done **** in quite awhile. Makes sense.

Or you roll four good lines, which is like, a good thing to do if you want to be a good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad