The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Lines, etc (Geno out long term; Bjugs too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I'll say this, ZAR has looked rough but he's also had some really bad luck - PDO is 86 which is insane. He's 6th on the team in xGF% while never playing with anyone good. I'd hold out before panicking on him.

Zar is what he is. He's a vanilla player who barely does anything out there. He is like Sheahan as a winger. Maybe worse. He doesn't do anything well to stand out except a random goal, or makes a horrible play, or takes a penalty.

Outside of that he barely hustles and has little to no tenacity.

Reactions: Fordy

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
giphy.mp4

I feel like this is ZAR's game in a nutshell. He goes in super weak on the puck. When he gets it he turns it over right away. Then he floats into the middle and watches. The puck comes like a foot away from him and he doesn't even reach for it. He actually watches Marino hustle in from twice as far to try and get the puck. Then continues to float.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
giphy.mp4

I feel like this is ZAR's game in a nutshell. He goes in super weak on the puck. When he gets it he turns it over right away. Then he floats into the middle and watches. The puck comes like a foot away from him and he doesn't even reach for it. He actually watches Marino hustle in from twice as far to try and get the puck. Then continues to float.

People can’t complain about ZAR without complaining about Sully...I’m convinced the coaching staff wants him to play a heavy style his body can’t handle, lending to all his injuries...he’s a serviceable but slow fourth line player with occasional flashes of better but the coaching staff sees something else in him...I feel bad for him because he’s a replacement level NHL player but the coaching staff has convinced him otherwise

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
People can’t complain about ZAR without complaining about Sully...I’m convinced the coaching staff wants him to play a heavy style his body can’t handle, lending to all his injuries...he’s a serviceable but slow fourth line player with occasional flashes of better but the coaching staff sees something else in him...I feel bad for him because he’s a replacement level NHL player but the coaching staff has convinced him otherwise

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

He's always played that sort of style going from the scouting reports though. Why wouldn't you encourage him to play the style that could bring the highest dividends on the ice?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He's always played that sort of style going from the scouting reports though. Why wouldn't you encourage him to play the style that could bring the highest dividends on the ice?

he was also an offensive player in college...I mean you have to know what you’re going to be successful at in the pros...he’s not big or speedy enough to make an impact physically in the NHL, so that doesn’t bring the highest dividends on the ice, and he gets injured...he’s a step slow to every play and loses puck battles all around the boards... he’s a worse Kuhn...replacement level

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'm not sure how accurate Sullivan's statement even is. Unless they track stats different internally, they're not limiting dangerous chances at all. According to Naturalstattrick, the Pens gave up 10 "high danger" chances to the Ducks last night while only creating 4 of their own.

On the season, the Pens have given up the 4th most high danger chances in the entire league. That doesn't seem like a team that Sullivan's describing above. :help:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

Blandisi up, Agozzino down.

Bizarre stint for Agozzino. Gets called up, scratched the first night, plays sparingly with a glaring error that led to a goal on the second net, gets sent down.

Reactions: EightyOne

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure how accurate Sullivan's statement even is. Unless they track stats different internally, they're not limiting dangerous chances at all. According to Naturalstattrick, the Pens gave up 10 "high danger" chances to the Ducks last night while only creating 4 of their own.

On the season, the Pens have given up the 4th most high danger chances in the entire league. That doesn't seem like a team that Sullivan's describing above. :help:

how about them numbers?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
or otherwise known as, until Letang’s on the ice with him...

He's not a forward, he'll be fine :sarcasm:

he was also an offensive player in college...I mean you have to know what you’re going to be successful at in the pros...he’s not big or speedy enough to make an impact physically in the NHL, so that doesn’t bring the highest dividends on the ice, and he gets injured...he’s a step slow to every play and loses puck battles all around the boards... he’s a worse Kuhn...replacement level

ZAR's offence came, as best as I understand, from going to the dirty areas and winning the puck. The scouting reports told us to expect a bottom 6 grinder. He simply doesn't have the offensive skills to be an offence-first player at this level unless he becomes Hornqvist. He either goes to the dirty areas and plays physical or he goes to the AHL. That simple imo.

As for his ability... I do find it strange how a player worse than Kuhnhackl paced for over 30 points in his first season and a bit in the NHL while always having strong possession/team metrics. But I know that's not persuading anyone.

It's come up before that the Penguins' internal stats defines chances differently to the metrics provided by the NHL.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
how about them numbers?

Are you asking for the actual numbers? Or the link to Naturalstattrick where you can find them?

Full season:
HDCA (raw numbers) - 36 (tied with Washington for 4th worst)
HDCA (rates per 60) - 10.88 (6th worst)

Last 3 games Sully is referencing:
HDCA (raw numbers) - 25 (tied with a bunch of teams for 8th worst)
HDCA (rates per 60) - 9.93 (7th worst)

I mean, I guess technically Sullivan's correct in that they're not as bad if you remove the first game versus Buffalo. But it's still a weird statement because even over the past 3 games, they're still a bottom 10 team at giving up dangerous chances.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
ZAR is good when he’s playing with a chip on his shoulder... last season he had a stretch where he played mad and was hitting and scoring right and left. Someone on the staff needs to push the right buttons with him.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
ZAR is good when he’s playing with a chip on his shoulder... last season he had a stretch where he played mad and was hitting and scoring right and left. Someone on the staff needs to push the right buttons with him.

Yep, he's not a good enough player that he can get away with not playing balls to the wall every night.

Reactions: Jacob

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
He was playing on Malkins wing at the time.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's come up before that the Penguins' internal stats defines chances differently to the metrics provided by the NHL.

If the Pens' internal stats lead them to some of their recent UFA signings and trades, then I really wish they'd just start using the ones on Naturalstattrick instead. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->